Time stretch in Sampler

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
deathkills

Post by deathkills » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 am

+1

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm

barstu wrote:Does anyone know of a VST sampler that has time stretching? I want each note on the keyboard to play the sample for the same time but different pitch.
Ya Kontakt is the example I've used that shows the timestretching feature that sampler should have. And that is exactly the point - Being able to play a sample at different pitches while maintaining the same sample duration. Another great benefit of this would that be that it could also have a "stretch" knob like in impulse to lengthen or shorten the sample duration without affecting the pitch. People are also asking for that since using sampler in drum racks instead of impulse currently means that you lose the stretch function, which is no good.
Professional Shark Jumper.

fuzzyhead

Re: Time stretch in Sampler

Post by fuzzyhead » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:39 pm

+1
Bump

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:57 am

bumpski

this is a must - i couldnt believe it wasnt there from the start.

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 pm

+1

I find sampler more and more powerful every day, especially when used in conjunction with drum racks... not having time stretch kinda feels like i'm missing the last crucial ingredient
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 pm

+1

timestretching is a must for really messed up stretched out pianos and such.

ghunter

Post by ghunter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Has this feature being applied to live 8? I cant see it but refuse to believe that a modern sampler would not offer this feature.

dokken

Re:

Post by dokken » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
barstu wrote:Does anyone know of a VST sampler that has time stretching? I want each note on the keyboard to play the sample for the same time but different pitch.
Ya Kontakt is the example I've used that shows the timestretching feature that sampler should have. And that is exactly the point - Being able to play a sample at different pitches while maintaining the same sample duration. Another great benefit of this would that be that it could also have a "stretch" knob like in impulse to lengthen or shorten the sample duration without affecting the pitch. People are also asking for that since using sampler in drum racks instead of impulse currently means that you lose the stretch function, which is no good.
Is there a VST sampler that's cheaper and/or easier to use than Kontakt that has this feature? I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't want to spend the time and money to learn how to use a complex sampler like Kontakt just to take advantage of one feature.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Re:

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:18 pm

dokken wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Is there a VST sampler that's cheaper and/or easier to use than Kontakt that has this feature? I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't want to spend the time and money to learn how to use a complex sampler like Kontakt just to take advantage of one feature.
I'm sure there are but can't think of anything really simple. You could also look at synths that do granular synthesis, like Absynth, Alchemy or certain Reaktor Ensembles. MaxMsp has lots of granular synthesis devices and I'm sure they'll make it into Max4Live format as well. All of these things are of course not meant for traditional multi-sampling, but do allow a sample to be played at different pitches will maintaining the same duration. Synths that do granular synthesis don't always maintain the same kind of quality when stretched far as something like Kontakt though since they're made for mangling the sample into something new usually.

dokken

Re: Re:

Post by dokken » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
dokken wrote:
I'm sure there are but can't think of anything really simple. You could also look at synths that do granular synthesis, like Absynth, Alchemy or certain Reaktor Ensembles. MaxMsp has lots of granular synthesis devices and I'm sure they'll make it into Max4Live format as well. All of these things are of course not meant for traditional multi-sampling, but do allow a sample to be played at different pitches will maintaining the same duration. Synths that do granular synthesis don't always maintain the same kind of quality when stretched far as something like Kontakt though since they're made for mangling the sample into something new usually.
Sounds like using a sampler is the way to go then. I like having samples that are time synced as well as stretched. I've used Kontakt for this and it works quite well. I just find it to be a little unwieldy. It seems like a waste since I'm only using a small subset of it's features. It would be great to just have a small device that provides the functionality of a clip that you could just drop into an instrument rack in Ableton Live. Maybe someone will create a Max4Live device that does this.

dokken

Post by dokken » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:03 pm

ghunter wrote:Has this feature being applied to live 8? I cant see it but refuse to believe that a modern sampler would not offer this feature.
Nope. It's still missing in Live 8 as well. Maybe someone will make a Max/MSP device wth Max for Live that will provide this functionality. All you Max people out there take heed!

stiang

Post by stiang » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:15 pm

+1

I was very surprised to discover that this wasn’t available in Sampler. Something for Live 9?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Well they did introduce many improvements to Operator in Live 8, so I'm holding out hope that sampler will get some nice improvements like this common request in the next update.

matthewmilk

Post by matthewmilk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm

+1

icedsushi

Re:

Post by icedsushi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

quartertone wrote:Wha? Sampler has no timestretch? Damn, even simpler has that.
Oh well, one more reason to stick w/ soundfonts for my drumkits (and Simpler) . It would be nice to have some basic polyphonic modulation of sample playback speed, independent of pitch. Even Simpler's cheezy Vel. to stretching feature is less simple than Sampler in this regard.
How do you do this in Simpler? The velocity parameter seems to only affect the volume.

I too am interested how can I time stretch (or time compress) in Simpler or Sampler within drum racks. Guess what...Impulse does it with the stretch knob!