Mac Mini FAIL @ Macworld. MACBOOK GETS AN UPDATE!!! Jan 21

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Yes, the word is there will be a new line of Mac Minis and iMacs launched next week.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/31/mac ... francisco/

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Firewire or no firewire, that is the question. ;-)
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Been waiting for a new Mini for about 6 months now. Like yourself, firewire isn't a deal breaker on this one.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Jobs will take firewire to the grave which according to some people won't be too long from now.

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:13 pm

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 am

Can't wait to see what they look like along with the specs.

I'm kinda interested in maybe using one for an entertainment hub right under a large screen LCD..... Wouldn't be bad at all.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 am

4ace wrote:Can't wait to see what they look like along with the specs.

I'm kinda interested in maybe using one for an entertainment hub right under a large screen LCD..... Wouldn't be bad at all.
Um, that would be an Apple TV. All your music, movies, videos, and TV shows in one box with easy navigation. You can even use it to buy music and buy and rent movies. Awesome and I celebrate it daily.

It even lets you wirelessly send the sound from itunes on your computer to the box which is great if you have it hooked up to a dope stereo. Although if the box pretty much mirrors your itunes I can't really see how handy that is unless you're working on something on your computer and the box is way across the room and you don't want to have to turn around or something to switch songs.

Lastly, if you have an iphone or ipod touch you can download the free Remote app to control it. That means you don't have to worry about anything blocking the infrared. You can control it from anywhere within the range of your wireless router, good shit if you are way across the house or have something set up like outdoor speakers and want to change things while standing at the BBQ with a tall beer. The Remote app even displays album art and you can scroll, search, and browse with it just like the built in itunes app.

Fanboy out

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:14 am

beats me wrote:

Um, that would be an Apple TV. All your music, movies, videos, and TV shows in one box with easy navigation. You can even use it to buy music and buy and rent movies. Awesome and I celebrate it daily.
I'm planning on doing similar but with a Mac Mini. I have wireless keyboard and mouse for couch surfing. I thought about Apple TV but I don't have a machine running 24/7 in the house to run as an iTunes server, so I'll continue using the Mini with an SMB server. When this software is ready it should be pretty ace: http://elan.plexapp.com/ - also having a computer rather than Apple TV means I have a spare Mac for the inevitable laptop repairs ('nother one due soon) and means I can rip my DVDs without having to tie up the laptop.
beats me wrote:Lastly, if you have an iphone or ipod touch you can download the free Remote app to control it. That means you don't have to worry about anything blocking the infrared. You can control it from anywhere within the range of your wireless router, good shit if you are way across the house or have something set up like outdoor speakers and want to change things while standing at the BBQ with a tall beer. The Remote app even displays album art and you can scroll, search, and browse with it just like the built in itunes app.
Got this recently as it works with iTunes as well as Apple TV. One of the best applications out there - I've not demoed it to a single person who wasn't highly impressed.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm

beats me wrote:It even lets you wirelessly send the sound from itunes on your computer to the box which is great if you have it hooked up to a dope stereo.
Doesnt it only stream at something like 96kbp/s though?

4ace

Post by 4ace » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 am

beats me wrote:

It even lets you wirelessly send the sound from itunes on your computer to the box which is great if you have it hooked up to a dope stereo. Although if the box pretty much mirrors your itunes I can't really see how handy that is unless you're working on something on your computer and the box is way across the room and you don't want to have to turn around or something to switch songs.

Lastly, if you have an iphone or ipod touch you can download the free Remote app to control it. That means you don't have to worry about anything blocking the infrared. You can control it from anywhere within the range of your wireless router, good shit if you are way across the house or have something set up like outdoor speakers and want to change things while standing at the BBQ with a tall beer. The Remote app even displays album art and you can scroll, search, and browse with it just like the built in itunes app.

Fanboy out
Apple TV is a dumbed down Mac Mini. With my wireless keyboard and mouse i can surf the net on the Large screen LCD.

BIGGER Apple Fanboy out!!...JK... not really
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 am

My friend uses a Mac Mini for his entertainment server which is what inspired me to get an Apple TV. I just want the simple elegance of the interface for my media files and not fumbling around with computer applications, and the Apple TV interface is way more functional than Front Row or itunes IMO. If I wanted to use my computer on my TV than I would just plug in the second monitor port on my MBP. But I understand why some people would rather use a Mini.

I'm not sure about the streaming bitrate but you're probably right, myspace quality.

Also I realize the Mac Mini isn't huge but the Apple TV is small and all you need is an HDMI or component input on a TV and you're set. Some people take DVDs to movie night, I can just bring my Apple TV - plug-n-play, done.

The only real downside to me is the relatively small hard drive. 160 gigs fills up quick when you have a lot of movies and TV show seasons. I've seen a 250 gig upgrade kit but even that isn't that much. A terabyte or more would be ideal.

Hey, I just noticed a USB port on the back. What the heck is that for?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:50 pm

WANK, what a wankymahoo keynote too.

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Emissary wrote:WANK, what a wankymahoo keynote too.
Agreed. Two software updates, and bringing the 17" MBP into line with the others in the range. Hardly calls for the song and dance. A well overdue opportunity to update the mini thrown away. Boring.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Dude, Stong will teach you to play the guitar, how cool is that?

:roll:

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:Dude, Stong will teach you to play the guitar, how cool is that?

:roll:
Two things. I'm thinking that "Stong" was a typo on your part - either way - I like it. He will forever now be known as Stong to me. Cheers :-)

One last thing (see what I did there)...
The Garageband update to let me worship at Stong's altar is only for Leopard. My only chance of getting Leopard in the near future was a Mac Mini. Gah! I'd been holding out for a Mini or a Mac Pro early this year. Still, my fanboy, consumer-lust not being satiated really isn't the end of the world when placed in the grand scheme of things.