Clip view. Annoy wish you could see them all?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mugtree

Clip view. Annoy wish you could see them all?

Post by mugtree » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi

Comparing traktor and ableton on interface, traktor wins hands down as you can see up to 4 tracks in one view. Can this be achieved in ableton? I like to work with loops and switching to each clip to check on when to drop the loop is a bit tricky and i sometimes miss cues if i don't know the track brilliantly.

Any thoughts?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Is that a fair comparison? Quite different programs, no?

Anyway - if you switch to Arrangement you can certainly see 4 (and more!) tracks at the same time. They are also resizeable for your viewing pleasure.

.m

mugtree

Post by mugtree » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm comparing them as playing-out-live-mixing programs. When I switch to arrange view none of my track are in there, I load them into session view.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 pm

mugtree wrote:I'm comparing them as playing-out-live-mixing programs. When I switch to arrange view none of my track are in there, I load them into session view.
Well, if you need to see a couple of tracks at the same time - maybe you should start using arrangement view. The possibilities are there. Right in front of your nose!

.m

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:33 pm

mugtree wrote:I'm comparing them as playing-out-live-mixing programs. When I switch to arrange view none of my track are in there, I load them into session view.
you shouldnt compare them at all. traktor is a program that has a specialized target audience in mind: djs.

live however is a program that has a broader audience in mind: djs, producers and composers.

live is a compositional tool, much like reason is a sketchpad for your music (their words, not mine), whereas traktor is a program specially designed to mix music, as opposed to produce it. comparing the two is unfair in any manner.

mugtree

Post by mugtree » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for you replies but arrangement view won't work for me. I like to see all the track in session view.

I know they are different tools, I use ableton to edit tracks a bit and i have produced very basic stuff on it. I can't be arsed to learn traktor, i've had a play on it and the grid mapping looked pap. I do really like the interface though. I wonder how much richie hawtin and james zabeila get paid to put their name on it, hmmm. Anyway, you can use ableton to dj, lots of people do. Probably more than traktor so the two can be compared in the dj sector.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi,

I think you can only compare the two as mixing softwares. I believe, in the very near future, when the Serato/Ableton partnership produces a version aimed at dj's, Traktor might see itself with a very serious problem.

As for being able to see the waveforms of all tracks at one time. Totally a problem for a young dj. Remember, vinyl doesn't show a digital representation of all waveforms.

However, it is still a problem, cause people can eyeball a vinyl and see where they are in the track.

Can't with cdj's though.

Still, comparing Traktor/Ableton, is really pushing apples n oranges. You can't produce in Traktor.

Your much better off comparing Traktor to actual vinyl, and Ableton to a physical recording studio.

While those are still pretty strange comparisons, they still make more sense.

imho...

:D

I do see your point, about wanting to see all tracks at the same time. I have no idea what is brewing with Serato and Abletons, but I'm guessing on a version specific creation. Who knows what extra features it will have?

Same goes for a version specific Cycling and Ableton....
too many lasers...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 pm

j2j wrote:Hi,

I think you can only compare the two as mixing softwares. I believe, in the very near future, when the Serato/Ableton partnership produces a version aimed at dj's, Traktor might see itself with a very serious problem.

As for being able to see the waveforms of all tracks at one time. Totally a problem for a young dj. Remember, vinyl doesn't show a digital representation of all waveforms.

However, it is still a problem, cause people can eyeball a vinyl and see where they are in the track.

Can't with cdj's though.

Still, comparing Traktor/Ableton, is really pushing apples n oranges. You can't produce in Traktor.

Your much better off comparing Traktor to actual vinyl, and Ableton to a physical recording studio.

While those are still pretty strange comparisons, they still make more sense.

imho...

I do see your point, about wanting to see all tracks at the same time. I have no idea what is brewing with Serato and Abletons, but I'm guessing on a version specific creation. Who knows what extra features it will have?

Same goes for a version specific Cycling and Ableton....
i dont see the point with that really at all.
why would you want this, and why would it be better then the current system?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 pm

I'd love to be able to see more than one clip in session view, at least two or three would really make my life easier.

And DJs can look at vinyl and see drops and such coming, this is also shown on most higher end CDJ's too.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:03 am

friend_kami wrote: i dont see the point with that really at all.

Well, I'm not dj'ing with Ableton. I'm only producing, and hoping to perform those production live eventually.

Tarekith, has given a, "Class A," explanation above.

Cheers
too many lasers...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21 am

j2j wrote:
friend_kami wrote: i dont see the point with that really at all.

Well, I'm not dj'ing with Ableton. I'm only producing, and hoping to perform those production live eventually.

Tarekith, has given a, "Class A," explanation above.

Cheers
funny. i launch a clip that contains a drop when i want to go into a drop.
ohwell.

mugtree

Post by mugtree » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Maybe I am trying to force ableton into being traktor, and its like forcing a square through a hole. I do really like traktor, mainly for the looping but the warping is crap right? If that was better i would be interested. Also traktor doesn't have the same community feel about it. This forum is great, and ableton site too... loads of tutorials etc and even without this the manual is good and even the software itself tells you what each button does!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Oh hell to the yes!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Tarekith wrote:I'd love to be able to see more than one clip in session view, at least two or three would really make my life easier.
Could be usefull if the whole session track could flip switch into scalable waveform displays or audio analysers. The whole track row with clips, faders, i/os and sends. Maybe devided in two, one section for the clips and one for the fader and the rest. If two, one could be analyser, and the second waveform display. And if both were set to same, it would scale it up. Just a thought..

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:24 pm

I've always been a fan of the idea of having a side by side
comparison view of two clips, but this would have to include a "link"
feature, which would lock the two clips' zoom and position status to one
another, so that you could really get into easy manipulation - both for audio
and midi clips. This would make it a helluva lot easier to remove a note or
a chunk of audio from one clip where it would conflict with a note or a chunk of
audio on the other.

Also, I'd like to be able to detach the entire clip view into a separate window,
so that I could have session/arrangement on one monitor and device chains
and clips on another.