it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:03 am

I just thought I'd share what worked for me.

wake up every morning and sit down and write your thoughts on paper for at least a full page, I tend to do 2 or 3. when you get a craving later in the day go back to your writing.

also, eat a lot of gum and enjoyable food.

also I tend to close my eyes and meditate to myself "I'm doing good, I feel fine" over and over in my head.

aside from a soar throat and the occasional tense moment I'm doing really well. I just thought someone else in the world might be encouraged or something and might find what worked for me useful.
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:06 am

Good vibes! Spiritualle!
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 am

well done

much more thoughtful process than when i gave up though

i tried patches then tried an inhaler thingy ... ended up just having to ignore the craving

9 years in june .... best thing i ever did!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:30 am

dave dominey wrote:well done

i tried patches then tried an inhaler thingy ... ended up just having to ignore the craving

I considered getting the gum, but I decided thats a bit like an alcoholic quitting by taking an alcohol pill. seemed kinda counter productive to me.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 am

yeah totally .... i dont think i even finished the pack

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 am

dave dominey wrote: ... ended up just having to ignore the craving
This is key. You'll want it for a while, but eventually, the cravings just evaporate. Then you're home free.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 am

dave dominey wrote:yeah totally .... i dont think i even finished the pack
speaking of finishing a pack, thats actually one thing that made me realize it's time to quit. I have never been a person that would smoke a full pack in a day but recently I looked in my pack and realized I had actually smoked the whole thing that day. I was also noticing that I was getting the urge to smoke far more often than normal for me. I hadn't decided yet, but just after midnight on new years I smoked the last one of my pack and I thought "I suppose this would be a good time to start quitting" so I did.

it's actually not officially 4 days for another 30 minutes.

b0unce

Re: it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Post by b0unce » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I just thought I'd share what worked for me.

wake up every morning and sit down and write your thoughts on paper for at least a full page, I tend to do 2 or 3. when you get a craving later in the day go back to your writing.

also, eat a lot of gum and enjoyable food.

also I tend to close my eyes and meditate to myself "I'm doing good, I feel fine" over and over in my head.

aside from a soar throat and the occasional tense moment I'm doing really well. I just thought someone else in the world might be encouraged or something and might find what worked for me useful.
oh sweet fuck - your writing therapy better not spill over into my precious corner of internet land.
spreader of butter

shai

Post by shai » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 am

good luck man...
my only advice, go down to your body, experience craving.. that certain amount of pain, feel it to the full.. track down the senses. dont run away from it.. feel how it physically 'feels' and don't judge it. don't hate it. what you're going through could be a ramp.. an opportunity to widen up in spirit. transcendent. so make sure you use it. sorry bout the new age burst.. but this is how it works for me

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 am

cigarettes..... unbelievable.

I've gone vegetarian, quit all drugs, give up alcohol, don't sip coffee anymore, and for the life of me...........

OMFG, am I so terribly addicted to smoking.

I've tried to quite so many times, so many different ways.....

I really think, at this point, I need to spend a few grand, and look for a guru in the Himalayas.....
too many lasers...

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:02 am

Tried giving up tobacco for the past 3-4 years (been smoking since i was 14, 27 years ago); patches, gum, inhalator etc...

Recently took Zyban and after only 1 week i had no interest in cigarettes what-so-ever. Some minor side effects (itching, insomnia and minor depression) stopped me from taking the whole course (I lasted about 2-3 weeks of the recomened 6 week course) but now after 4 months I still have no cravings at all, in fact the smell/taste of cigarette smoke now makes me gag.

Still smoke weed (pure) though without the tobacco i dont seem to 'crave' it like i used to.

Its not for everyone but worked for me and I no longer have breath that smells like dog shit :D

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:44 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
dave dominey wrote:well done

I considered getting the gum, but I decided thats a bit like an alcoholic quitting by taking an alcohol pill. seemed kinda counter productive to me.
Can you get alcohol pills now? The things they think of! Gerat idea though, you could get hammered without putting on weight.

tadx

Post by tadx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:05 am

Allen Carr "Easyway To Stop Smoking"
:lol:
...seriously, guys. This fucking book saved my life

btw, good luck Johnisfaster :wink:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 am

Keep it up man - well done 8)

I just past week 6 on Sunday there. 8) 8)

First few night outs were really hard.
But doesn't bother me so much now... Some of the crap coming out my lungs is disgusting.

That's been about 14 years smoking, and several numerous and methods tried.
Longest i've quit before was 3 months, so i suppose that's the initial aim. This time round was simply just to stop dead after starting to get pains in my chest and neck whenever i had a big night out and way too many smokes. Really isn't worth it is it.

Keep it up.

kpa

Post by kpa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm

yeah good luck and stuff, but i dont get people who make such a big deal of giving up smoking. I know a few people who have just stopped. One was told by a doctor that they had to stop and they never had another one.

my theory is that it all depends on our subconcious. If your subconcious decides that you have to stop then you can stop. if really, you subconciously dont want to stop, then it be difficult and one will struggle. All depends on how you came to the decision, if its life or death then you (not the OP, but one in general) could stop, but if oneis getting nagged about smoking by someone, there will be a part of them that thinks 'fuck them, i wanna do it, dont tell me what to do...'

but i dont know what i am talking about, i just smoke some green, and so i do it when i have some, when i dont i dont, i dont get cravings or anything.

btw, this is just my 2c, not meant to wind you up or anything. good luck.
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha