it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:28 pm

For me, cold turkey was the only way. Been smoke-free for almost 30 years. When you get the craving, just think of it as your body healing itself.

Oh yeah, and go for a vigorous walk (ok, vigourous walk) - in fact, any aerobic activity that'll remind you just how important it is to have working lung tissue.

Rejoice in the fact that you're no longer taking in the concentrated carbon monoxide that bonds to the hemoglobin (ok, hæmoglobin) in your red blood cells. Those cells are now free to asborb - OXYGEN!! And your lungs will heal so that the usable surface area can take in more - OXYGEN!!

Know that there are a lot of folks out there rooting for ya.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Nice one. I tried quitting awhile back and failed. I currently have too much anxiety and uncertainty to give up that crutch. It also doesn't help that just about everybody I hang with smokes and they aren't attempting to quit either. Some day.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Cold turkey is definitely the way to go - I quit without any alternative or method (I do still puff the ganga once in a while), and after a couple of weeks, no issues at all.

Be careful about what you replace your cigarettes with, though - if your eating habits go downhill, you won't be much better off.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm

bet money!!

i havn't smoked for 1 year and 4 months
i made $160 from bets

and $100 of it came just in time too.. i almost had to pawn my electric bass to pay the electric bill but my buddy smoked and lost the bet :D

Martyn

Re: it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Post by Martyn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:34 pm

b0unce wrote: oh sweet fuck - your writing therapy better not spill over into my precious corner of internet land.
I dunno man, a writing therapy book from yourself sould well be a publishable item.

Then again, I guess that's what these new fangled t'interweb forums are really for.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:58 pm

I just got the allen carr easyway book through the door today. have given up a few times before using patches, gum, lozenges etc but always end up smoking again. will read the allen carr book this week. really want to do it for good this time.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm still going

only problem is that today I noticed I've been mildly depressed the last few days but only just realized it. apparently nicotine withdrawls will do that to ya.

oh well.

oh I forgot to mention the other thing that helped me years ago when I quit smoking for a year (yeah I quit once and then started a year later and now I'm quiting again) blame cigs for how crappy you feel when you are trying to quit. instead of craving a cig, blame them for making you feel like crap. reverse pscyhology on those bastards!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 pm

And never forget:

"If you smoke, you stink".

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:29 am

The first 3 days is the first big hurdle congrats! If you can last THREE lousy measly weeks, your body will have made the adjustment back to no nicotine, after that, it's all in your head. (Nicotine sits on the neuro receptor in your brain and adjusts for that, if you stop taking it you feel weird, that's where you are now, it WILL pass) good luck, you're doing great!!!!! :D :D :D

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:48 am

Hats off to anyone who's quit. Much respect for the favour you're doing yourself, your family, friends and all the poor randoms who have to put up with it.
Make it past tense already, 'I have quit' (ok, past perfect), not 'I'm quitting' or the worst one, 'I'm trying to quit'. You're done, you've binned them, now walk away and move on.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 am

Johnisfaster wrote:oh I forgot to mention the other thing that helped me years ago when I quit smoking for a year (yeah I quit once and then started a year later and now I'm quiting again) blame cigs for how crappy you feel when you are trying to quit. instead of craving a cig, blame them for making you feel like crap. reverse pscyhology on those bastards!
I use a similar approach when dealing with women and their vagina.

j2j

Post by j2j » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 am

beats me wrote:I use a similar approach when dealing with women and their vagina.

:lol:
too many lasers...

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 am

you're a fucking quitter

djsynchro

Re: it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:49 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I just thought I'd share what worked for me.

wake up every morning and sit down and write your thoughts on paper for at least a full page, I tend to do 2 or 3. when you get a craving later in the day go back to your writing.
This is really good stuff by the way, it means you embrace the withdrawal pangs and watch them come and go. This is one of the techniques they teach in substance rehab - I happen to know this because I was there.

When it comes, just watch it, observe it, write about it, and watch it PASS because it will. Three weeks and your body will have adjusted back to not getting nicotine, best of luck.

PS don't ever "test" yourself. No more ciggies! :D

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:02 am

Good job John! I hope you make it all the way!
kpa wrote:yeah good luck and stuff, but i dont get people who make such a big deal of giving up smoking. I know a few people who have just stopped. One was told by a doctor that they had to stop and they never had another one.

my theory is that it all depends on our subconcious. If your subconcious decides that you have to stop then you can stop. if really, you subconciously dont want to stop, then it be difficult and one will struggle. All depends on how you came to the decision, if its life or death then you (not the OP, but one in general) could stop, but if oneis getting nagged about smoking by someone, there will be a part of them that thinks 'fuck them, i wanna do it, dont tell me what to do...'

but i dont know what i am talking about, i just smoke some green, and so i do it when i have some, when i dont i dont, i dont get cravings or anything.

btw, this is just my 2c, not meant to wind you up or anything. good luck.
I agree with your theory. You can't fool your subconscious! It's like my cousin who's girlfriend tells him to stop drinking. He does for a few days, is all about it, then starts drinking again. I know there is also the physical addiction factor but if you are consciously and subconsciously ready and able to quit you can and will. ( I just used and 3 times there, did that work?)