Morgana Vintage Sampler Group Buy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
earthlinger

Morgana Vintage Sampler Group Buy

Post by earthlinger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:46 pm

http://112db.com/vintage/morgana/?groupbuy

for nostalgic sampling

real-time sampling with SampLink

http://112db.com/tools/samplink/ 8)
----------------------------
lyingdyingwonderbody#2

buckman

Post by buckman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:06 pm

sounds great!! is this based on the old Emax with its filters? and the sp1200 etc??

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:33 am

looks like a mirage emulator

"fata morgana" = mirage
har har har

looks (and sounds) pretty damn cool actually

orgul

Post by orgul » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

i don't see why any ableton sampler user woud want this....buid a sampler rack with bitcrusher and your good to go....

earthlinger

Post by earthlinger » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:55 pm

orgul wrote:i don't see why any ableton sampler user woud want this....buid a sampler rack with bitcrusher and your good to go....
quote from the developer dj! (bbl forum):
First of all, Morgana features an emulated preamp with switchable line/mic inputs that adds anything from a delicate thickening to way-out-there screaming madness--what you would get if you fed a real mic input with a line-level signal.

The VCA and VCF envelopes may at first sight appear the usual ol' A(P)DSRs, but they too have been painstakingly modeled after, let's say, a "certain" vintage hybrid analog/digital sampler. What is different about them is their curves and the fact that they are stepped--that is, they don't go from A to B in a smooth line but take little steps instead. If you play around with them you'll find this adds some graininess and "attitude" to the envelopes.

Then there's quite a few things in the signal path that take place under the hood without any GUI controls dedicated to it. For example, instead of just using standard synth polyphony we emulate 8 separate voices with analog components, each of which show some small deviation from their calibrated values. As a result, playing the same note several times in a row will sound slightly different each time.

We emulated a primitive op-amp to sum the individual voices instead of just adding them, which adds a certain density to the sound. And as if that weren't enough, we even emulate the digital-to-analog crosstalk that occurs in the hardware--it's subtle but if you listen closely to the softer parts of samples you'll hear it.

All this just to make the point that Morgana isn't just bitcrushing and samplerate reduction. It's the sum of a lot of really subtle small parts that together make an organic whole--like (as more than one customer remarked) a real "instrument".
also real-time sampling is big plus compared to Sampler
lyingdyingwonderbody#2

orgul

Post by orgul » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:06 pm

quote from the developer dj! (bbl forum):
First of all, Morgana features an emulated preamp with switchable line/mic inputs that adds anything from a delicate thickening to way-out-there screaming madness--what you would get if you fed a real mic input with a line-level signal.
shaper/saturator?
The VCA and VCF envelopes may at first sight appear the usual ol' A(P)DSRs, but they too have been painstakingly modeled after, let's say, a "certain" vintage hybrid analog/digital sampler. What is different about them is their curves and the fact that they are stepped--that is, they don't go from A to B in a smooth line but take little steps instead.
okay, adsr curves are adjustable in sampler
If you play around with them you'll find this adds some graininess and "attitude" to the envelopes.
yeah right, I just see a limitation there not an attitude ..
Then there's quite a few things in the signal path that take place under the hood without any GUI controls dedicated to it. For example, instead of just using standard synth polyphony we emulate 8 separate voices with analog components, each of which show some small deviation from their calibrated values. As a result, playing the same note several times in a row will sound slightly different each time.
use an lfo on the filter and you have the same result
It's the sum of a lot of really subtle small parts that together make an organic whole--like (as more than one customer remarked) a real "instrument".
no I don't think so. it's still a digital emulation.
also real-time sampling is big plus compared to Sampler
what do you mean, how can a au/vsti plugin have any more "real time sampling" than recording a voice and just dragging it to sampler?

I guess my main pointr is this: I you want the real thing buy a mirage, emu I, II, III or maybee a EPS. They are dead cheap and "real instruments". If you are cool with the digital world use it to the max and don't be fooled by the false promisses of digital emulatons!

cheers

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 pm

For people that want this kind of vsti then they should get it - I can't see it having much mainstream appeal, but the workarounds as mentioned by the last poster are tedious and CPU consuming, so if you really want your music to sound like vintage 80's lo-fi stuff, or if you are forming an Art Of Noise tribute band , then I can see the value in it. Otherwise, Ableton's sampler, or Kontakt or whatever else, is probably going to suit you better.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

spookyrockstar

Post by spookyrockstar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 pm

In the same way some like amp sim simulations, (UAD, amplitube, podfarm) some will enjoy this as well.

Sure, you can ALWAYS get a similar results using the supplied materials, but some prefer the emulations that others try so painfully to produce.

I'm not a fan-boy of this software, but just pointing out that there *is* a market for software emulations in FX and synths, why hate on some entrepreneur trying it with a sampler? :(

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

For sure - I have Arturia's emulations of the Prophet V/VS and Jupiter 8, plus Analog Factory and they are very excellent recreations of classic sounds. However, analog synth VAs are pretty much mainstream anyway, they never went away in terms of electronic music - sure, pop and big ballad rnb stuff went with FM synths (the infamous DX7 electric piano tones ), samplers and wavetable synths for more realistic strings and plucked string sounds etc, but the analog synth, even when less popular for a time, has always been a must have synth.

Whereas, old 8 bit sampling technology, is far less in demand - partially because bitcrushing and processing can put a few rough edges onto a modern sampler to give it most of the sound quality circa 1983 on a Fairlight CMI or whatever.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:05 am

i don't think i would have the patience for a mirage.
i want the immediacy of software with a mirage flavoring.
that's the promise that is being sold here. and they don't sound far off.

another emulation of flawed equipment that sounds pretty cool is the broken drum machine vst.

spookyrockstar

Post by spookyrockstar » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:39 pm

leedsquietman wrote: Whereas, old 8 bit sampling technology, is far less in demand - partially because bitcrushing and processing can put a few rough edges onto a modern sampler to give it most of the sound quality circa 1983 on a Fairlight CMI or whatever.
True enough! Hopefully they'll find a niche.

earthlinger

Post by earthlinger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 am

Number of Participants: 19, one more for %30
lyingdyingwonderbody#2

Trusty

Post by Trusty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:00 pm

This is one of my favorite software samplers. Not only does it sound good, but it is very immediate and intuitive. You don't have to do anything too tedious to set up multisampled, keymapped sounds to play, and other things like that which take an annoying amount of time on other samplers. If you want that grit and dirt and warmth, this thing delivers.

Download the demo. It won't hurt your computer or anything.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Trusty wrote:This is one of my favorite software samplers. Not only does it sound good, but it is very immediate and intuitive. You don't have to do anything too tedious to set up multisampled, keymapped sounds to play, and other things like that which take an annoying amount of time on other samplers. If you want that grit and dirt and warmth, this thing delivers.

Download the demo. It won't hurt your computer or anything.
please don't take offense, but that's sounding kind of like an ad.

still, this thing does seem kind of cool -- haven't found time to try the demo, but some .mp3s i've heard sound nice.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 pm

anyone else seeing broken images all over that site? :?