Tascam or Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Tascam or Ableton

Post by evon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Just seems to me that my new Tascam 144 US is not that compatible with Ableton Live. Just occured to me and I wondered, who is responsible (in a sense) is it Ableton or Tascam? Is Tascam responsible for making better drivers? or is Ableton responsible for making thier program compatible with the various audio cards?

I started some tests with the included software "Cubase LE4" and it seems more compatible. I haven't pushed it to the max yet but will give it the full cpu test by tomorrow night.

However, any one?

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 pm

are you using a mac? because i had to return my tascam us 1461 because it wouldn't work for me ONLY for ableton only on mac osx.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Without being a programmer, I'd say that as long as the DAW supplier is sticking to protocols (ASIO, CoreAudio...) - it must be up to the audio interface maker to produce drivers that are compatible.

But what the hell do I know...?

.m

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm

No I am using PC. To be honest my processing speed could be much faster etc. However, with the same cpu I get much better performance with Cubase using the Tascam than with Live on the same PC.
To be honest I like a lot of features with the Tascam 144 its only that it dosn't catch a fire with Live...just a pity. Wonder if there is anything the Abes can do. I should check with my friend DOM. Tascam support is way inadequate and probably understandably so.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:59 pm

It's your responsibility to only buy the gear recommended on this forum so you need to track down the thread with that specific recommendation and then take it up with that ass-hat. :)

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:24 pm

beats me wrote:It's your responsibility to only buy the gear recommended on this forum so you need to track down the thread with that specific recommendation and then take it up with that ass-hat. :)
Well said...shows a lot of respect and knowledge of the situation and the personality involved. Actually, I did a lot of research to find not just the cheapest but the most suitable for my situation and could beat myself after waiting and searching for so long to end up buying crap. However, being the person I am, I feel that I am now destinied to look into cubase and see what master Stienberg has to offer.

Probably other peeps reading this who have been there could save me the time by just pointing out some of the advantages and disadvantages. I do believe that overall Live is the best. This is based on what I have read so far in cubase. However, I am still looking for any advantages and how I might be able to incorporate this in any of my future projects. To top it off though, I have quite a lot of respect for Stienberg.

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:02 am

evon wrote:being the person I am, I feel that I am now destinied to look into cubase and see what master Stienberg has to offer.
good riddance

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:58 am

friend of mine has a 122

works perfectly on hid mac and mine when ever i use it

now on the PC it caused some trouble. but eventually got it working no problem :D
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Bagle wrote:friend of mine has a 122

works perfectly on hid mac and mine when ever i use it

now on the PC it caused some trouble. but eventually got it working no problem :D
Yeah..it is now thumbs up for the 144 US. Gave it a rugged test using Live last night and the thing stood up like a charm..very low latency and less than 15% cpu. Only used about five tracks though and two plugs, but at 15% cpu suage the rate is good.

I think my problem was that I was trying to work with the Tascam in Live sets that were previously done with the other audio card. However, last night I started everything from scratch and all is well.

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Corn Swabler wrote:
evon wrote:being the person I am, I feel that I am now destinied to look into cubase and see what master Stienberg has to offer.
good riddance
"You gonna tired to see my face, Can't get me outa de race"

You're missing the point Corn Swabler..you need to read carefully all my posts regarding the issue. I have no intention of leaving Live. However, even you would have to admit that no one DAW has all the features. What most of us do is try to get the best features from all the DAW's and try to find ways to incorporate them in our project. Most of us also have a favorite DAW which we base our projects in. Mine is still Live.

"One Love, One Heart, lets get together and wee will feel awright...."