Damn You All To Hell...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
STRATEGY_510

Damn You All To Hell...

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 pm

You convinced me to wait for the Mac Mini update with your fancy rumor sites and look where it got me?

Furthermore, you're now saying that its still coming and to wait a few weeks!

Now I'm afraid to order or build a new PC because the goddamn Mini update will be announced the next day after I do that!

Where does that leave me?

Stuck with this shitty-ass Windows XP Media edition 3-year old 1.7Ghz SINGLE core Pentium M laptop, that's where!

and Live is stuttering all the time goddammit.

Now I'm checking the Mac Rumor site like three times a day like the rest of you weirdos.

I haven't even used a Mac since the fucking Apple II, yet you muthafuckas have convinced me that I need one and that it will improve the overall quality of my life, not just my music!

oh, the pain

STRATEGY

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 pm

man do i ever love PC

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Save up your money for another couple months and then buy a Macbook Pro the way God intended.

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Maybe for now, make all your Live files 16bit 44.1 and a limited amount of tracks. Research any possible way to optimize your system for better performance in the mean time. What about getting an Imac or Ibook?

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:man do i ever love PC

I should love it, it's all I know and I've done 6+ years of professional desktop/network support for Windows platforms.

These bastards have hypnotized me somehow.

STRATEGY

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:25 pm

1. Nobody told you that the Mini had to be released yesterday. If you think about last year you should remember that Apple released a couple of products/updates nearly weekly.
2. You name it: RUMORS. If you believe in rumors, it's all your fault. Sorry.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 pm

beats me wrote:Save up your money for another couple months and then buy a Macbook Pro the way God intended.

Since I'm looking for a home computer, seems like I'd be paying a big premium for portability that I didn't necesarily need.

I guess it would be nice to have the option of taking it on the road, or god forbid, to an actual gig.

STRATEGY

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 pm

nbinder wrote:1. Nobody told you that the Mini had to be released yesterday. If you think about last year you should remember that Apple released a couple of products/updates nearly weekly.
2. You name it: RUMORS. If you believe in rumors, it's all your fault. Sorry.
It's not my fault that my will can be bent by these seemingly professional hypnotists.

Some of these guys have clearly studied under the late L. Ron Hubbard or Reverend Moon.

STRATEGY

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:36 pm

channelite wrote:Maybe for now, make all your Live files 16bit 44.1 and a limited amount of tracks. Research any possible way to optimize your system for better performance in the mean time. What about getting an Imac or Ibook?
Good advice, I'm actually already at 16bit 44.1 and just a few tracks for DJing and very little efx, yet still getting stuttering and dropouts.

Probably the first thing I should do is blow out this XP Media edition and install XP lite or something.

I was really ready to move on to a new machine, but I'll keep working with what I have, for a few more weeks at least.

STRATEGY

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:38 pm

beats me wrote:I guess it would be nice to have the option of taking it on the road, or god forbid, to an actual gig.
See I thought about using the MBP for gigs. Once I'd bought it though I couldn't ever bring myself to bring it out to a show - an MBP is an expensive thing to get damaged and I'm just too cautious. For the price of an MBP, you could buy a Mini and an old-style MB to take out to gigs. Ideally though the Mini's would have been updated by now ;-)
Last edited by mkelly on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Spackled Bat

Post by Spackled Bat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Dude, bust out that Apple II. No problems here.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Spackled Bat wrote:Dude, bust out that Apple II. No problems here.

Yeah, but see how high that cpu meter is running? Not enough RAM I reckon.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Wait! Intel has 16-core chips just round the corner! :D :D :D :D

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
I should love it, it's all I know and I've done 6+ years of professional desktop/network support for Windows platforms.

These bastards have hypnotized me somehow.

STRATEGY
Don't listen to them. Follow your heart!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 pm

If you don't have a laptop and aren't already used to the portability then it probably seems like no big deal to have one, but be warned, once you get one you'll wonder how you survived without one and will probably never go back to a desktop unless it's for price reasons or you want a big meaty system with more expansion options....which you currently don't if you are willing to go with a mini.

Plenty of people get by with just a regular Macbook and you can get one even cheaper from the Apple refurb site (do a search for "refurbished" on the Apple site). There are also plenty of people that buy nothing but refurbs and swear by them so don't let the "used" feeling scare you.

I know what people mean about not wanting to take a MBP to a gig. I should be getting a new one in the next couple months God willing and my current MBP will be my beater gig computer. :)

I know I'm being a fanboy here, but I was noticing how Apple was a genius in putting the light up apple on the back of the MBP because when you see them at clubs or gigs it insinuates "professional". When you see a PC laptop on stage it insinuates "Poor dude couldn't afford a MBP". Don't kill the messenger.