Loops in Worship, Church Settings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gurumonkey

Interesting thread

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:33 am

I like this thread (well, the original question posed at least). I am currently a youth minister but have also been a worship leader at a church. I'm currently just starting to play around with using reason/live to add some more depth to the instrumentation we normally use during a service. If you haven't checked it out there is a website called sacredloops i don't know if it's .com or .net or .org (suppose i could just check...nah). which has some people's ideas on loops for songs that many churches already use. they're not all..good. and they generally assume that you have the ability to send at least your drummer a click track, and they are just backing instruments really. pads and things. Most of the files are for reason, though there are a few live sets on there. I'll try to check out the site and when i get up and running properly with live I'll see if i can coach a few people in how to use it.

As far as the side discussions go, might i suggest two things?
1. If you are a christian, you must understand the perspective of someone who does not know/believe in God. It only makes sense that Christianity would be at best misunderstood, if not downright crazy. So it's really no surprise that we see both views in this thread. I personally don't find any of it offensive, and i would suggest to other christians that you don't take any criticism to heart too much.

2. Perhaps it'd be better to have an "Isn't Christianity crazy" thread or something for these outside discussions just so that someone who sees the topic on this one might actually find what they are looking for? (high hopes perhaps. if i were die hard against christianty/any religion I'd probably mess up a thread like this too)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:54 am

IT's ok because someone has to be fair game.

TBH, those that continue to hang on to their belief in the supernatural in the face of ever increasing evidence that continually reduces the probability of a god, do deserve a little ribbing.

This has nothing to do with music which would be enjoyed by many more if it wasn't so genre specific. Worship music?

Why not just music?

If a god is listening he'd hear it anyway right?

I know I'm gonna regret this...so I won't be responding any further. :roll:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 am

I wonder, does sacred loops .com cater for all religions or just specific chosen gods?

Is it like beatport where you can search by genre (religion)

Can i get genre based loops such as hindu drums to blend with my muslim haprsichord?

Does it also include less popular loops now like, Ra Sun God Trance or Zeus Kick drums? Or is it only for the gods that 'exist' now?

I am searching for some Poseidon Jazz so i am genuinely interested.

DAMN! I did say I wouldnt respond....but you christains are so jolly in your delusion I can't help it! DOH!

How many posts before lockdown I wonder?

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 am

UKRuss wrote: Worship music?

Why not just music?
Its all about context. People with intentions to use music as a means to an end.

Dance Music

Meditation Music

Etc.

It takes a lot of skill in any situation to sense a mood, read a crowd, choose the right music, be aware of volume, tempo, taste and in the end not be remembered as the focus of the event, but the facilitator.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 am

I am just busting balls here.

I will stop, it goes nowhere.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:36 am

UKRuss wrote:I've only got atheist loops, sorry. :(
lol
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:41 am

UKRuss wrote:I am just busting balls here.

I will stop, it goes nowhere.
If you have no interest then by all means stop.

But, as always, if you set aside the genre, the unique situation that Live is being used in, and the exploration of it as a tool, could expose some interesting techniques that others could adopt in some form. Ya never know.

:)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:41 pm

This video is the "bible" for worship related music.

Reach for the saviour!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A3CzptgIvcU

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Have you considered using a controller during your worships?
This one might fit right into your current setup.

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 pm

ryansupak wrote:Most non motorcycle riders (for instance) don't find it necessary to hop on every motorcycle thread and talk about how they don't like motorcycles. However: for some reason, on the internet, people can't resist letting others (who didn't ask) know just how much they dislike Christianity.

The Christians on this thread aren't hurting anyone or trying to convert anyone. They're not criticizing non-religious people or non-Christian people. They're not part of some active global conspiracy to oppress non-Christians.

I really do wonder why it's so important for people to specifically criticize Christians when they acknowledge their faith, on the internet.

(Typically the kinds of justifications I see cherry-pick extreme examples: something like The Crusades, or some sloppy universal implication involving W, or those "God Hates Fags" lunatics. These people are none of the above; in fact the majority of very religious people are friendly and kind -- most outward religious activity is, in reality, no-strings-attached charity.)

This is one of the few bigotries that is acceptable on the internet. I think if most of you "bullies" actually met some of these people in person, and with an open mind, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

rs
Please read 1 John 3:13 in it's proper context and I think you'll have your answer.
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 pm

ryansupak wrote:Most non motorcycle riders (for instance) don't find it necessary to hop on every motorcycle thread and talk about how they don't like motorcycles. However: for some reason, on the internet, people can't resist letting others (who didn't ask) know just how much they dislike Christianity.

The Christians on this thread aren't hurting anyone or trying to convert anyone. They're not criticizing non-religious people or non-Christian people. They're not part of some active global conspiracy to oppress non-Christians.

I really do wonder why it's so important for people to specifically criticize Christians when they acknowledge their faith, on the internet.

(Typically the kinds of justifications I see cherry-pick extreme examples: something like The Crusades, or some sloppy universal implication involving W, or those "God Hates Fags" lunatics. These people are none of the above; in fact the majority of very religious people are friendly and kind -- most outward religious activity is, in reality, no-strings-attached charity.)

This is one of the few bigotries that is acceptable on the internet. I think if most of you "bullies" actually met some of these people in person, and with an open mind, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

rs
Its just so tempting! Its just so easy!

I can only speak for myself, but I would assume, being a staunch anti-theist myself, that this is just a nice music related forum. And there's so much talk about how religions are screwing up our world these days that some members might get slightly defensive when this kind of topic creeps itself into the forum.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Well it looks like we will get the definitive answer from the British Advertising Standards Authority soon enough.

--> 'No God' campaign draws complaint
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:10 pm

ryansupak wrote:They're not part of some active global conspiracy to oppress non-Christians.
rs
They are, however, part of a Christian conspiracy to convert non-Christians, on the understanding that unbelievers will spend an eternity burning in hell.

As my evangelical sister tells us at any opportunity that "she feels sad that you are going to hell" it is a bit of a sticking point.

And now they have decided in this country that they might teach creationism as a valid alternative theory to evolution, aethists shouldn't keep quiet really, because the jesus-freaks won't.

To answer the OP though, you can play what you like. Your audience will be nice to you whatever you perform.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 pm

crumhorn wrote:Well it looks like we will get the definitive answer from the British Advertising Standards Authority soon enough.

--> 'No God' campaign draws complaint
Fantastic. The existence of God and the meaning of all human life is finally going to be determined - by the British Advertising Standards Authority.

Everyone in the world should pledge to go with whatever is decided. I know I have.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 pm

If the Creationists is talking about 'teaching the argument' and listening to 'all the theories', then any Church that has government tax breaks or funding, MUST TEACH EVOLUTION IN SUNDAY SCHOOL!