MIDIbox and LiveAPI integration - nearly completed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ultra

MIDIbox and LiveAPI integration - nearly completed

Post by ultra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:41 pm

i've been working on something for those who want to build their own midi controller for use with ableton live. anybody with basic electronics knowledge and some c skills will be able to create a powerful midibox using a framework that automatically communicates with LiveAPI.

nearly every major function has been implemented and i am close to releasing the first version. it will, of course, be open-source and on-going and anybody with ideas on how a midi controller should control and listen to live, please feel free to share ideas.

i've started the wiki documentation here: http://midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_live

if you have ideas to share, please feel free to post them here. but first read the wiki so you can understand how it all works.

ultra

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 am

Looking forward to eharing more about this.
Will be watching this space.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 am

ultra,
Thanks for your time...

I use the API a bit now, but its mostly just hacks and mods of others work. At this point im using MDK's API demo for clip names and such and Hyrdogen's ( monome basic+ ) Clip grid stuff. One thing that either one has implemented is devices.
for instance,
It would be great to be able to call a function- scanLiveDevices()
this function would go select a track in the set, then ask for the name of every device in the track, then jump tho the next one, grab devices names..... send it back to your framework as a list/array....
Im pretty sure I remember from the extracted API docs and automap stuff that devices are part of it...

anway, looking forward to seeing this...

peace,
Michael

ultra

Post by ultra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:20 pm

the code i am writing for liveapi will only work with the corresponding midibox code i have written. it doesn't even use midi in the "standard" way. just a disclaimer. so far i have the following device-related functions working:

retrieve the number of devices on a track
retrieve the name of a device
retrieve the number of parameters on a device
retrieve the name of the parameters
listen to track devices and tell the midibox a device has been added or removed, and what the new device count is.

same goes higher up in the hierarchy for tracks, etc.

check this link for a description of how i plan to implement it:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/ ... 636.0.html

xherv

Post by xherv » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:09 am

Good luck with this, I've been poking around LiveAPI a little bit this week, I'm not aware of any code out there that really handles devices well even though it's fairly evident that there are methods of doing things in there.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 am

I'm very busy right now but I like your project and as my Behringer crap controller won't work for more than 10 seconds any more I'll most probably join your project in a couple of months.