Mastering a rock band

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McQ714

Mastering a rock band

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 am

My cousin has asked me (an amateur computer musician) to master his band's tracks because they've been asked to play at GC's Battle of the Bands and they need to provide 3 demos. Everything they've done up until now is pretty much from their garage which isn't so bad IMHO. So I've taken their tracks and added a little something to most of them including doubling up some of the guitar tracks to sound a bit more stereo than mono. What is your take on how to handle guitar tracks, both lead guitars and bass? I like the bass to be front and center and leads to be wider and given that they have two guitarists, we've panned them out in different directions. How well does this translate to a normal stereo system or to the headphones of an iPod??? The other issue I'm running into is that the drums were recorded all in the same track. They didn't have a way to record each mic and the cymbals are way too bright. How would I bring down the highs a little but not lose the punch of the snare. I've tried the whole EQ thing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.. that is the one thing I am really not happy with in the mix.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:06 am

anyone know of a better place to post this thread?

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 am

dbl track rythm gtrz, pan 100%L and 100% R.

2 leads? one 50% left , the other 50% right.

bass up the middle.
drums up middle.

Drums to bright? - low pass filter at 6 db/oct, knee it at 10k-ish maybe. Ya know, move it around until it suits you. 12 db/oct might be better too.

Best place to post a thread is Los Angeles.

No, best place to post is from a hot girls house

who lives in LA.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

And dont forget the chain of at least 50 compressors for that in-yr-face sound ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:27 am

i like to use a deesser instead of an EQ to make the Cymbals a bit
more quiet.
This often sounds more natural than an EQ.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

aeon

Re: Mastering a rock band

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:50 am

McQ714 wrote:My cousin has asked me (an amateur computer musician) to master his band's tracks because they've been asked to play at GC's Battle of the Bands and they need to provide 3 demos. Everything they've done up until now is pretty much from their garage which isn't so bad IMHO. So I've taken their tracks and added a little something to most of them including doubling up some of the guitar tracks to sound a bit more stereo than mono. What is your take on how to handle guitar tracks, both lead guitars and bass? I like the bass to be front and center and leads to be wider and given that they have two guitarists, we've panned them out in different directions. How well does this translate to a normal stereo system or to the headphones of an iPod??? The other issue I'm running into is that the drums were recorded all in the same track. They didn't have a way to record each mic and the cymbals are way too bright. How would I bring down the highs a little but not lose the punch of the snare. I've tried the whole EQ thing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.. that is the one thing I am really not happy with in the mix.
best place to look is gearslutz... there's a dedicated mastering forum there, with loads of regular posters (including bob katz, for instance!)

although they may point out that if you're doubling guitars etc. then you're actually mixing, not mastering ;)

i have worked with a single-mic drum track with overharsh cymbals before, and depending on the disparity between levels on the original recording, there's not an awful lot that can be done. multiband compression can be really useful...
digitally yours

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Dr Dub wrote:i like to use a deesser instead of an EQ to make the Cymbals a bit
more quiet.
This often sounds more natural than an EQ.
+1
good one. de-essers work on so many things.

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Yep. Defenitly feeled like opening my Eyes when i learned it.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica