anyone using Mopads or something similar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Meef Chaloin

anyone using Mopads or something similar?

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Mopads or Primacoustics or nothing?
Did they make any difference for you?

creature

Post by creature » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:29 pm

I dont use any purpose made pads, But I got the foam surrounds to my blue sky media desks and chopped them in half and set the speakers on them. They do make a desk as it stops resonance and vibrations on the desk.

It made a difference for me, but I havn't compared to anything purpose made.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Ive been reading about the Primacoustics one & apparently how good they are, they're meant to piss on the Mopads. I would make my own as well but I could really do with the angle the Mopads have.

I might actually combine some Mopads with 4 or 5 mouse mats or neoprene if i can get hold of some, has to be better than a few empty boxes like I have at the moment (just for the height)

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 pm

MoPads working just fine here. I can't make a comparison with other makes, but the difference they make compared to having speakers on a desk is huge.
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 pm

I use Mopads in combination with custom made speaker stands. They help some, but it's not a huge difference or anything.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:57 pm

i use mopads. they probably make the biggest difference if, like me, your monitors are on your workdesk. stops it from vibrating so much, and it nicely angles them up at me. (i'm sure people will tell me that's "wrong" and i'm therefore going to hell or something, but i don't want to put a two-foot high cardboard box under each one to get them to the right height.) no idea if they really change the sound for the better (i.e., flatter by eliminating certain resonances through your desk or whatever). plus, they fit Adam A7s well - almost like they're made for them. (perfect depth, about an inch too wide though.) i just figured, hey, i'm paying $40 for some nice looking little desk stand for my monitors that will surely cut down on some vibrations. of course that's overpriced - but i didn't see any other perfectly cut and angled black foam pads out there. :D

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 am

my guess is that while the foam pad surely do something against vibrations, you would be better off with some speaker stands, perfect for decoupling if you "know the rules". If the speaker stand are made by "metal pipes" (sorry can't explaing better, but I think you see what I mean, or look at some picures of speaker stands) they should be filled with sand, as the empty metal pipes will resonate to a given frequency affecting the sound in your studio. You can even go DIY for the stands.

I never had pads but I noticed a dramatic difference, expecially in the low end, since I installed speaker stands in my studio. And the desk is less clumsy without the monitors on it

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 am

Yes, if I had the room to use stands I would because that is a far better solution. But my bedroom isn't big at all :(

Been looking at these - http://silentpeaks.com/spk_isolator.html
They're a blatent rip off of the Primacoustics ones but half the price!
They just don't have angled ones :cry:

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 am

The MoPads made a noticable difference to my KRK rokit6 monitors. They're quite 'boomy' anyhow, and the pads for £30 definitely tightened it up somewhat. Though the difference is not amazing (but it's there).

Thing is, the other ones you talk about... The Primacoustics and other rubber ones, they must be good, as rubber is rubber... And rubber absorbs sounds...

So you know they'll do something.

Or just buy a couple of spare tyres :)

madaboutmusic

Post by madaboutmusic » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:43 pm

[quote="Meef Chaloin"]Yes, if I had the room to use stands I would because that is a far better solution. But my bedroom isn't big at all :(

They just don't have angled ones :cry:[/quote]

HI

I have bought some angled spker isolators off silentpeaks but i had to Email them first as they are not yet on their new web site.I have looked at the prime acoustics and even though they look simular there are differences, they only have a thin rubber sheet on a steel plate. Going by the music tech review silent peaks has a thick rubber sheet which the review said made them the best they have tried so far. Im well impressed and worth every penny.

madaboutmusic

Post by madaboutmusic » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm

[quote="madaboutmusic"][quote="Meef Chaloin"]Yes, if I had the room to use stands I would because that is a far better solution. But my bedroom isn't big at all :(

They just don't have angled ones :cry:[/quote]

HI

I have bought some angled spker isolators off silentpeaks but i had to Email them first as they are not yet on their new web site.I have looked at the prime acoustics and even though they look simular there are differences, they only have a thin rubber sheet on a steel plate. Going by the music tech review silent peaks has a thick rubber sheet which the review said made them the best they have tried so far. Im well impressed and worth every penny.[/quote] :D :D :D

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:13 pm

wow thanks for that info madaboutmusic, great news! Looks like I'll be getting some of those soon :P

madaboutmusic

Post by madaboutmusic » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 pm

[quote="Meef Chaloin"]wow thanks for that info madaboutmusic, great news! Looks like I'll be getting some of those soon :P[/quote]

Hi

Glad to be of help. I found them very helpull people to do buisness with and im sure u wiil too
:)

orgul

Post by orgul » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm

I love my moped: