Simpler midi file question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Simpler midi file question...

Post by thelike5 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:50 pm

Hey all,

I've been using Ableton Live since 1.5 and currently am demoing out Live 4 and am totally amazed as this is like using a completely new (but great) program.

I have a question... Where do I go to find additional midi files for playback with the Simpler instrument? I really am into glitchy-house (Villalobos, Akufen, Force Inc. stuff etc.) and love the way this instrument helps produce that effect. I am correct in assuming you need to have a midi file playing to "hear" the Simpler instrument right?

I haven't even had the time to mess with the Impluse instrument yet!!

Thanks for your assistance

-Tom

steved

Different strokes ....

Post by steved » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:21 pm

You can play Simper with the computer keyboard, midi keyboard or from a midi clip. It's very easy to create your own midi clips and then draw envelopes to modulate Simplers parameters in real time. Assign the Simpler controls to a midi controller and you are away.

One neat trick is to create a longer midi pattern of varied notes / intervals. Then - in clip view use the loop selector to select a bar's worth of these notes, or half a bar - whatever. You can then use the cursor keys to shift the loop selection up/ down - creating varied rhythmic / melodic patterns.

Throw in a pitch contoller assigned to a midi knob and sweep to your hearts content ...
Nocturn early adopter ....