Life Changing musical purchases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm

dysanfel wrote:Image

Awesome musical and production skills.

Also really love spirit chaser - and all their other stuff come to think of it.

Here's one that change my musical taste forever

And another:

Last edited by crumhorn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

rbro

Post by rbro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm

I was giving this more thought last night and there's a definite lineage for me from Rock to Progressive Rock and Jazz to Electronic. So really it has to include the following:

Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan...but THEN....

Yes - Fragile, Yessongs
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Music
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond

and THEN (the big leap)

The Orb - Adventures beyond the Underworld
Orbital - Snivilisation
Future Sound of London - LIfeforms

and more recently

Foley Room - Amon Tobin
The Last Resort/Digital Chronicles - Trentemoeller

also from about 1980 on a big life changer was the radio show "Hearts of Space"

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

rbro wrote:I was giving this more thought last night and there's a definite lineage for me from Rock to Progressive Rock and Jazz to Electronic. So really it has to include the following:

Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan...but THEN....

Yes - Fragile, Yessongs
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Music
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond

and THEN (the big leap)

The Orb - Adventures beyond the Underworld
Orbital - Snivilisation
Future Sound of London - LIfeforms

and more recently

Foley Room - Amon Tobin
The Last Resort/Digital Chronicles - Trentemoeller

also from about 1980 on a big life changer was the radio show "Hearts of Space"
My progression was almost identical to yours - up until stage 3 - then I started to go back again!
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Sibanger wrote:Oh, I did buy a ticket to see a little band that Mike Patton had just joined called Faith No More.
Saw them in a smallish pub gig with another 300 or so lucky punters in Melbourne around 1989/90ish.

That was a life changing moment.

I got lost after the show and was found in a sex shop buying up on, .......stuff.

Crazy night 8O
The bass player in that band was my roommate in 88. He was the main song writer, cool guy. Last I heard he's doing a project with Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys.

eco

Post by eco » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Orbital - In Sides (The Girl With The Sun In Her Head)

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:17 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:orb - live '93

deee-lite - dewdrops in the garden
+1 on both!

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 pm

eco wrote:Orbital - In Sides (The Girl With The Sun In Her Head)
+1

Though I found the discovery of this album to be quite depressing as it was the first time my younger brother managed to introduce me to new music. Suddenly the apprentice became the teacher. :-)
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:28 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Sibanger wrote:Oh, I did buy a ticket to see a little band that Mike Patton had just joined called Faith No More.
Saw them in a smallish pub gig with another 300 or so lucky punters in Melbourne around 1989/90ish.

I got lost after the show and was found in a sex shop buying up on, .......stuff.

Crazy night 8O
The bass player in that band was my roommate in 88. He was the main song writer, cool guy. Last I heard he's doing a project with Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys.
Nooooooo Way MW!

I was playing bass in a band way back then, and I gotta say, your old roommate, Billy Gould, was a f#*king bass playing God!
I'll never forget that night, and the sound of that bass coming off stage.

The Real Thing was classic ground breaking stuff at the time.
It was great to see FNM when they were still 'hungry'.

Now he's playing with Jello, another legend of our time.:D

That's really great. I'm glad Billy stayed with it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Sibanger wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

Crazy night 8O
Nooooooo Way MW!

I was playing bass in a band way back then, and I gotta say, your old roommate, Billy Gould, was a f#*king bass playing God!

Billy was pretty funny. He had this whole aesthetic that we talked about that you should think of writing something like this, write 3/4 of your songs for yourself, and 1/4 for an audience. You can get that in FNM big time if you listen. Sarcasm doesn't even cut it, I remember him coming home to the warehouse we lived in all excited about the new singer Mike Patton, saying all old fans would hate them now, then throwing up a fist and yelling, "but we're gonna be played in Sock Hops across the states fuck yes!!"
The demo was awful, but sort of funny, Patton basically went in there and did Foreigner/Journey style vocals on everything. Compare this to the black punk rock guy they had before, we were thinking Billy was nuts. Obviously he was right. :wink:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Deicide - Legion
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Grateful Dead - Infrared Roses
Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do
A house mixtape by NASA Technicians I picked up at my first rave in 1998 in Austin, TX
John Cage - 4'33"
Paul Oakenfold's Goa mixes (Gold & Silver Essential Mixes)
KRS-One - Prophets vs. Profits

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Sibanger wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: The bass player in that band was my roommate in 88. He was the main song writer, cool guy. Last I heard he's doing a project with Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys.
Nooooooo Way MW!

Billy was pretty funny. He had this whole aesthetic that we talked about that you should think of writing something like this, write 3/4 of your songs for yourself, and 1/4 for an audience. You can get that in FNM big time if you listen. Sarcasm doesn't even cut it, I remember him coming home to the warehouse we lived in all excited about the new singer Mike Patton, saying all old fans would hate them now, then throwing up a fist and yelling, "but we're gonna be played in Sock Hops across the states fuck yes!!"
The demo was awful, but sort of funny, Patton basically went in there and did Foreigner/Journey style vocals on everything. Compare this to the black punk rock guy they had before, we were thinking Billy was nuts. Obviously he was right. :wink:
Thanks for the insight MW. :)

audiojunkies

Human League -

Post by audiojunkies » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 am

The Human League, early material inspired me to leftfield synth stuff, when they signed to virgin they became more pop, also Landscape, and Thomas Dolby, I am sure anyone in the UK would sight UK music TV show of the time "The Tube" fairly ground breaking, Presenters broke new music only, no pop bands on there, one minute it would be Afrika Bambaataa and the soulsonic force, the next it would be Thomas Dolby or New Order.

Most Kids were inspired in the 80's Electro era, by all the Early Tommy Boy Electro and the Streetsounds Electro albums, i was later inspired by Stienski cut ups, i suppose a forerunner to DJ Shadows seminal Album Entroducing.

It seems to have come full circle, as kids are now leaving guitar bands and getting into Hot Chip, which then leads them on a deeper more experimental electronic journey, which can only be good for the scene.

Even Electro Funk (proper stuff no the watered down house) is making a comeback in NYC and London.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm

though it wasn't initially a purchase, but a casette copy a given by a friend back in '99 or so. I think I was 18 at the time, and this just blew my mind.
Still probably their best album, together with Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 pm

hmmm

tickets for glastonbury and reading in '89 - saw the butthole surfers at reading and bought all their albums straightaway

remain in light
nomeansno - wrong
the wolfgang press
melt banana
justified ancients of mu mu - 1987
mercury rev - yerself is steam
never mind the bollocks
fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

tape recorder, radio, tascam 4 track, minidisc, computer, ableton live

casio vltone, most of the stringed instruments i have

bontempi organ!