APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Jan corrected me on one point:
Regarding custom mapping of the APC40, the Device Control section have no banking when user mapped (8 knobs, 8 things can be mapped). However, the Pan/SendA/Send B/Send C are banked interally in the APC firmware, which means you have 4 banks of 8 user mappable endless encoders. We considered mapping 8 of these to things like tempo, swing, zoom, etc., but it got confusing for the user, and decided to let you decide if you want to do
this."
That's (luckily) not correct. Live does the banking for both sets of encoders but I
implemented a mechanism that makes the banking available for manual mappings as well (as long as the script is active).

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Just to be clear,
all the rotaries are endless, right?

timeline85

Post by timeline85 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/insolace/3204735732/

I got to play with this at NAMM for 15 minutes and I have to say it's solid. Honestly you could release it as-is right now and I think people would love it, I didn't run into any bugs or quirks. A VERY cool controller and the $399 pricetag is well worth it.

And to the poster above, yes all the encoders are endless.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:10 pm

beatpoet wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Secondly, how can anybody justify $399 and €449, €449 is equal to $579.
It makes no sense whatsoever ?

Akai sets the pricing, sorry it doesn't meet your needs. I'll pass on your thoughts.

It's not that is doesn't meet my needs, it's just that one part of the world pays 45 % more than the other for the same product, it's blatant exploitation by Akai.

None of Akai's other controller products have this pricing difference, why so for the APC 40. It cannot be fully explained by taxes/shipping. It's blatant jacking up the Euro price to keep the Dollar price low. I think it's disgusting behaviour and puts both Ableton and Akai in a very bad light.
We maybe need to cut them some slack on the price, at least until more retailers start listing it with a price - its possible they are just guessing at the moment. Besides, I've never heard of a manufacturer quoting a "street price", I guess it maybe something they do in mainland Europe but they don't do it in the UK - its always "suggested retail price" or "recommended retail price".

Again, not sure what its like in the US but manufacturers have to be a bit careful when it comes to pricing in the EU - if they were caught setting the selling price they would get in a lot of trouble.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Jesse wrote:Jan corrected me on one point:
Regarding custom mapping of the APC40, the Device Control section have no banking when user mapped (8 knobs, 8 things can be mapped). However, the Pan/SendA/Send B/Send C are banked interally in the APC firmware, which means you have 4 banks of 8 user mappable endless encoders. We considered mapping 8 of these to things like tempo, swing, zoom, etc., but it got confusing for the user, and decided to let you decide if you want to do
this."
That's (luckily) not correct. Live does the banking for both sets of encoders but I
implemented a mechanism that makes the banking available for manual mappings as well (as long as the script is active).
Excellent news indeed!

Now I just want to figure out how to reverse the shift function for the device encoders, so that hitting those 8 buttons (without shift) does the 8 bank changes, and shift +buttons do the regular functions... This will require MaxforLive I'm guessing? This is the only change I'd like to make.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

jonny72 wrote:
beatpoet wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Akai sets the pricing, sorry it doesn't meet your needs. I'll pass on your thoughts.

It's not that is doesn't meet my needs, it's just that one part of the world pays 45 % more than the other for the same product, it's blatant exploitation by Akai.

None of Akai's other controller products have this pricing difference, why so for the APC 40. It cannot be fully explained by taxes/shipping. It's blatant jacking up the Euro price to keep the Dollar price low. I think it's disgusting behaviour and puts both Ableton and Akai in a very bad light.
We maybe need to cut them some slack on the price, at least until more retailers start listing it with a price - its possible they are just guessing at the moment. Besides, I've never heard of a manufacturer quoting a "street price", I guess it maybe something they do in mainland Europe but they don't do it in the UK - its always "suggested retail price" or "recommended retail price".

Again, not sure what its like in the US but manufacturers have to be a bit careful when it comes to pricing in the EU - if they were caught setting the selling price they would get in a lot of trouble.
I hear you jonny but I think now is the time to voice your opinion, by the time it's in the shops it's too late, Live users are by and large the target market for this product. It seems from Jesse's comments that Akai are driving the price on this one, the price difference is indefensible and they are effectively ripping off Ableton's loyal European customers. Something needs to be said now.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

anamexis wrote:Just to be clear,
all the rotaries are endless, right?
Yes

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

beatpoet wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I will not be buying this product at the jacked up prices, I will buy it from the US and pay the duty and shipping for about 380 euro and I will not buy any other Akai products.

Thanks for coming in to answer questions Jesse, much appriciated, not trying to shoot the messenger so if you could also pass these thoughts along to Akai also I'd be very greatful.

Also, will the power supply being shipped with the APC be able take 110-230 V ? I think this will be important for those of us not willing to be ripped off. I can pick up a power supply locally for about 10 euro, so no big deal if it isn't I suppose. Thanks again.
+1. with that price difference they can 'shaft' that APC in their hairy arse.
it's not THAT good. No respect, no monney.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 pm

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sofa

Post by sofa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Mid Feb date from the pre-order Email but I shall not hold my breath.
Ahh Bisto

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Here's a question ...

That red box that appears in Live, the one that shows which clips are currently shown on the APC, is that ...

a) a standard feature of Live 8?
b) something that can be done with MAX or MAX4Live (no APC)?
c) something that is ONLY available to those that buy the APC?

???

I was thinking of using that feature with a monome if i could define my own "red box".

Cheers!
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Image
omg that's one ugly baby. Tone you should be ashamed of yourself producing offspring like that!

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Currently the Red Ring is only available to users of the APC40, in Live 7 and 8.
Jesse

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Currently the Red Ring is only available to users of the APC40, in Live 7 and 8.
Jesse

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:10 pm

BoimB son of BoB wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Image
omg that's one ugly baby. Tone you should be ashamed of yourself producing offspring like that!
with all the money I saved from going with the CHEAP whore I can easily get an APC, at least with the US prices I can.

anyone need a studio slave? she's a bit young but in time can learn to wrap cables, turn fader knobs and act as a great bass trap.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz