APC40 design could be way better

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:
Surreal wrote:no answer on the ring?
im pretty sure the 'ring' is going to be controlled by the secret handshake between Live and the APC, thats the impression i got from Jesse on the other thread.

Im confident one of the boffins here will reverse engineer it using MFL, to allow other devices to use it.
I don't know it if *will be done* but it should be somewhat easy to do, given that
a) Max supports transparencies, alphachannels, that sorta thing.
b) m4l will support floating windows
c) It'll be cool in itself to sorta "mess with" the gui, hehe.

ultra

Post by ultra » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Tone Deft wrote: especially after dorking around with automap for too long and the notorious 128 parameter limit.
i've gotten around this by specifying my own protocol via midi. i use sets of 3 messages to get 9 bytes that describe what i'm doing. this allows me to send functions from my midibox such as getTrackDeviceParameterName(track, device, parameter) and send it back to a midibox via sysex. non-string data is sent back via the same protocol. i actually am able to query, listen to, and control anything i want. any events triggered by mouse or by the midibox is automatically reported (if you want it reported) back, so live is slaved to the midibox and the midibox is slaved to live.

it works on a "tier" system (can't think of a better name) that specifies a category of you are controlling (master, track, return), what aspect you are controlling (play button, track device, clip, etc), specifically what to control (device parameter, clip loop, etc) and how to control it (increment/decrement w/scale value, on/off, toggle, etc), all wrapped into easy functions like setTrackVolume(increment, scale value).

doing it this way gives me access to 128 parameters on up to 128 devices per track.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Machinate wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:
im pretty sure the 'ring' is going to be controlled by the secret handshake between Live and the APC, thats the impression i got from Jesse on the other thread.

Im confident one of the boffins here will reverse engineer it using MFL, to allow other devices to use it.
I don't know it if *will be done* but it should be somewhat easy to do, given that
a) Max supports transparencies, alphachannels, that sorta thing.
b) m4l will support floating windows
c) It'll be cool in itself to sorta "mess with" the gui, hehe.
Wouldn't the joke be that discovering the secret handshake could be done by just hooking up a print object to the APC in Max for Live?
Wishful thinking on my part.. :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 pm

ultra wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: especially after dorking around with automap for too long and the notorious 128 parameter limit.
i've gotten around this by specifying my own protocol via midi. i use sets of 3 messages to get 9 bytes that describe what i'm doing. this allows me to send functions from my midibox such as getTrackDeviceParameterName(track, device, parameter) and send it back to a midibox via sysex. non-string data is sent back via the same protocol. i actually am able to query, listen to, and control anything i want. any events triggered by mouse or by the midibox is automatically reported (if you want it reported) back, so live is slaved to the midibox and the midibox is slaved to live.

it works on a "tier" system (can't think of a better name) that specifies a category of you are controlling (master, track, return), what aspect you are controlling (play button, track device, clip, etc), specifically what to control (device parameter, clip loop, etc) and how to control it (increment/decrement w/scale value, on/off, toggle, etc), all wrapped into easy functions like setTrackVolume(increment, scale value).

doing it this way gives me access to 128 parameters on up to 128 devices per track.
crazy man, makes sense. then your interface into Live is LiveAPI?

the tier system makes sense, then it's just a matter of bit mask logic in the micro.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ultra

Post by ultra » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am

basically it's just a matter of defining identical constants in the midibox program and the liveapi script, and of course parsing out what should be done on each end.

it's all set up from within mios as an additional set of functions.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 am

adventurepants_ wrote:

i know that Ableton has not weighed in and that until they do, we know nothing really, but that would be SOOOOO LAME!

i simply want to be clear about how i feel. my doctor says i should.

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 am

i love to bitch and wine and am never happy. hope i am in the right thread.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 am

dj_huck wrote:i love to bitch and wine and am never happy. hope i am in the right thread.
help yourself to a bitch and some wine
I am definitely in the wrong thread

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:15 am

funny, i thought i included a grain of salt.

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 am

Apparently you have to pass your max patch on to someone else in a week or you die.
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9