Headphone Suggestions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
keyboardcowb0y

Headphone Suggestions

Post by keyboardcowb0y » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I know this is an Ableton forum, but I figured I could get some advice here on a good set of headphones to buy.

Basically I am getting into Ableton and the whole Digital DJ thing. I love music and am having a lot of fun so far, which is why I want to get a little more serious and start buying proper DJ gear.

Headphones are the one area that I dont seem to know what Im looking for at all. I was hope someone could point me in the right direction. Basically I will only be using these to cue tracks and stuff like that. Im not looking for top of the line stuff, but something that will do the job well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Sienheiser or AKG all the way
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD 650

take your pick
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

keyboardcowb0y

Post by keyboardcowb0y » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Hey thanks for the suggestions, but I was thinking something a little more well, not $250 bucks basically. I really don't think I need the best headphones money can buy, I just want someone I can use in my basement where I have my setup.

Is it possible to get good enough headphones in the $100 -$150 range?

Thanks

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm

I just got the Grado 80's for around $100

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
Sound great
Not sealed, so I can her hear my TV, phone ring, etc
Cheap-ish
Comfortable so I can wear for a few hours without a headache
Don't seem fatigue inducing.
Made in Brooklyn

Cons:
Not sealed, so it doesn't block sound out. You absolutely COULD NOT use these at a club.
These are more of a consumer oriented phones so they wouldn't be good for a pro quality mixdown.
They look funky

If you plan on just using these in your basement they are fine, however, if you plan on djing at clubs or doing serious mixdowns they are not the right thing. Maybe letting us know more about your goals would be good.

FWIW: I was at NAMM last week and got to check out Ultrasones (awesome), and Audio Technica which were also amazing (and under $150 for all models). Maybe look up some reviews and do a search, there are several threads about headphones on the forum.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm

One Answer!

Sennheiser HD 25-13 8O

I just love mine for djing and studio! :roll:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

keyboardcowb0y

Post by keyboardcowb0y » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey thanks for the info.

So to let you know what my goals are... Basically I am getting into DJing as a hobby. I have a love for music and am a computer geek, so this whole digital DJ thing appeals to me. I dont plan on playing in any clubs, if I did then I would have no problem buying the best headphones I could get. 90% of the time I will just be in my basement making mixes and tracks, the only other situation might be playing at my or my friends parties.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm

You will definitely want sealed headphones than to block sound out if you plan on even playing your friends parties.

Do a search, then read - also check out the Senny's in the post above.

db91977

Re: Headphone Suggestions

Post by db91977 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Skip sweaty, heavy headphones altogether and get in-ear monitors. I love my M-Audio IE-10 in-ears.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE10.html
Lightweight, non-fatiguing, 26db of isolation, and they sound great. I'll bet the IE-30s or 40s sound even better, but for general-purpose monitoring, I think the IE-10s are fine. About $100 on the street.

--Doug

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 pm

db91977 wrote:Skip sweaty, heavy headphones altogether and get in-ear monitors. I love my M-Audio IE-10 in-ears.
Lightweight, non-fatiguing, 26db of isolation, and they sound great. I'll bet the IE-30s or 40s sound even better, but for general-purpose monitoring, I think the IE-10s are fine. About $100 on the street.

--Doug
hahahaha, M-Audio monitors.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:27 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
db91977 wrote:Skip sweaty, heavy headphones altogether and get in-ear monitors. I love my M-Audio IE-10 in-ears.

--Doug
hahahaha, M-Audio monitors.
I agree -1 on M-audio ear buds
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:46 pm

AKG 240 DF !!!

Tom Void

Post by Tom Void » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:One Answer!

Sennheiser HD 25-13 8O

I just love mine for djing and studio! :roll:
If you mean the HD25-1, Then +1 to that. Not sure of the pricepoint in the states, but definately worth every cent/penny/øre :)

Jaan

Post by Jaan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 pm

+1 for in ear monitors, much much better than headphones... if it's only for DJing you can't go wrong with $100 buds with custom molds...
filthy

Tom Void

Post by Tom Void » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Jaan wrote:+1 for in ear monitors, much much better than headphones... if it's only for DJing you can't go wrong with $100 buds with custom molds...
"Crowd says; Look! The dj is browsing his iPhone!" (Just Kidding)
I just could never get used to having a bud in the ear, as when they are molded, you can't have it "on" any other way then all in.

When I Dj, it's just as essential for me, to be able to quickly switch between the "dominant ear" (ie. the one you primarily have stuck to the headphones) as that is almost only for queing in a track or session, and then both ears free towards monitors for a better perspective and depth of the transition.

I wouldn't risk the chance of ripping them out of my ears by accident, and IT WILL HAPPEN (to almost all drunk/deaf dj's like me :) as they are so flimsy and fragile they are in much greater risk of breaking.
It might be me who has a weird tendency of bouncing around like a mad rabbit when out plying, so if you are as stiff as a corpse, do try the buds and report back! I might learn from it, and change my style to a more minimalistic behaviour! :)

The HD25-1 is sturdy despite it's looks, and if anything breaks it can easily be switched, I think that will be harder with buds, as they aren't that easy to repair yourself.