filling the silence between live sets

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:28 pm

beatbox or take some clothes off... I think the mp3 player is a good idea. itunes may mess up if you are loading files in live, what if it crashes the whole laptop?

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 am

Patch wrote:Why not run multiple instances of Live, with 1 as the master and another as the slave. Both Livesets can be tempo sync'd...
I've heard of this solution before but have no idea how to launch 2 Live sets....

Do you mean on the same computer? If so HOW???
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 am

honsey wrote:what kind of music are you playing live?

if it's techno - get a small sampler, sp303 or something. sync it via midi. and sample 2 bars of the last song and let it repeat, while playing with filters/delays on it. then introduce the new kick ... and so on.
that's a badass suggestion. Also, monosyllabic's suggestion equally bad ass.

on the iPod note. I would NEVER play a gig where i didn't have some sort of fallback for when the computer crashes completely and it will not work. I have the whole set bounced down to an iPod just in case. I use the iPod for breakmusic as well, to give the machine a lil break. I would see this as a great excuse to justify bringing another piece of gear. Not only does it play you're ambient 10-45 second shit between songs but it's your back up for when you see a REALLY hot chick on the dance floor and you get tired of turning knobs. Set it and forget it, then hit it and forget it.

please note that terrible advice exists in some portions of that last paragraph
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 pm

julius wrote:hmmmm... i'm obviously doing something wrong...

I've opened 2 instances of Live but I get a message - something about Rewire masters and Slaves - one of the sets will play but the other refuses to play audio. Then one of them tends to freeze.

ewww....

J
Yes, that is correct. I am assuming the idea proposed by honsey was to run a second instance of Live through rewire.

Basically run the first Live set you open as your Master set and the next one you open as your Slave set (Master / Slave is determined simply by the order you open your sets). You will need to channel the audio from the Slave set into the Master set - this is done on the Master set with the I/O settings. In your Master set, set the input on a free audio channel to come from the Live Slave set (set the Monitor to "In"). This way both Master and Slave will play through your Master set.

Once you have this setup, you can leave your Master set on all the time and just switch your Slave sets. While you switch your Slave set, you play something from the Master set to keep the sound going.

Only draw back is that you can't use VSTs in your Slave set. If you only use ABleton effects/instruments then there is no problem.

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 pm

There is loads you can do, but you need to have either a decent soundcard and/or some external pedals/mp3 player/other software etc.

I have an Onyx 400f, 10 ins and outs... so I can take a digital player and play stuff through, or I can run sound from my onboard card to my onyx and run it while ableton is reloading.

What I do the most, though, is make use of at least two line 6 dl4s... sample some sounds during the song (as I use them during the track) then as the track ends start fucking with it to a rhythmic haze, load the next set, play with the variables... sometimes add in some stuff with a roland mc09, sometimes have a keyboard and play through those effects + line 6.

Lately I've been playing with running reaktor not as a vst and sending sounds from that out via the line 6's while AL loads.

Basically, there are a million things you can do.... but hardware helps make it easiest and most smooth.

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

Jekblad wrote:
honsey wrote:what kind of music are you playing live?

if it's techno - get a small sampler, sp303 or something. sync it via midi. and sample 2 bars of the last song and let it repeat, while playing with filters/delays on it. then introduce the new kick ... and so on.
Not only does it play you're ambient 10-45 second shit between songs but it's your back up for when you see a REALLY hot chick on the dance floor and you get tired of turning knobs. Set it and forget it, then hit it and forget it.
I like your style sir! :lol:

wascal

Post by wascal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:47 am

Get an external reverb and set it to a colossal decay time, turn it on for the last second of your set then load while its decaying?

Opus

Post by Opus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 am

pitch black uses dub feeds. delays with the feedback cranked all the way up and feed themselves.
I personally have a numark HDX, and I always have a few bars/loops or songs loaded into it so i can mix off an ableton set, and also mix back in.
My HDX is connected to my FW interface through Spdif, but the analog outs are also connected to a mixer. So this way I can use the HDX in my ableton set for scratching and FX, but also use it to mix off so i can load a new set. My sets are pretty complex, and they don't take that long to load.
Except these days, I really don't have to load new sets, I've managed a way to bring all the mastered loops in, with VST's and live midi running simultaneously, and all the VST preset changes are loaded into dummy clips. So, all my tracks run smooth into one another seamlessly.

city_glow

Post by city_glow » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:48 am

Hey everyone,

would it be possible to just build one big Live Project with all the songs from your gig following one another? We're going to use Live on stage with my band to play several additional tracks while we play and I was going this way. The only probleme I've encounter is that since the drummer is using the Live metronome we'd need it to change between songs but I can't find how to change it (gradually or not) within the same project?

Could someone help?

Thanx

Max
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4GHz - 4Go ram. Live 6 and Edirol FA-66 A/I. Fenders and Gibsons, Hiwatt Custom 100 amp. And a band called A Red Season Shade.

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

4ace wrote:
Patch wrote:Why not run multiple instances of Live, with 1 as the master and another as the slave. Both Livesets can be tempo sync'd...
I've heard of this solution before but have no idea how to launch 2 Live sets....

PC only, I'm assuming.
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 pm

city_glow wrote:Hey everyone,

would it be possible to just build one big Live Project with all the songs from your gig following one another? We're going to use Live on stage with my band to play several additional tracks while we play and I was going this way. The only probleme I've encounter is that since the drummer is using the Live metronome we'd need it to change between songs but I can't find how to change it (gradually or not) within the same project?

Could someone help?

Thanx

Max
Live 7 allows tempo automation from the master track. As it says in the manual, "unfold the Master track, choose Mixer from the top envelope chooser and Song Tempo from the bottom one." 7 also does time signature changes as well, if needed.
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

4ace wrote:

Go to the preferences / Look Feel tab. There's an "Allow multiple instances" button which you have to set to yes. (At least that's how it works on PCs)

Then the first instance of live is set to rewire master and any you open later are slaves (with the drawback that you cant use any vsts, or other rewire slaves in the slave instances of live.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 am

keep in mind Live 8 will "support" multiple instances.... so problem solved! yay

Very easy now to just set a delay to inf and filter it a bit while the new set loads. But this is for that darn techno music. If you're in a rawk band just have em all loaded up...? that way you just switch between and hit play.

I'd wonder what the difference between that ^^^^ and just having all the files in one set is (cpu wise)

we'll soon find out
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:14 am

Dexes wrote:Go to the preferences / Look Feel tab. There's an "Allow multiple instances" button which you have to set to yes. (At least that's how it works on PCs)
I just checked on the Mac and sure enough, it's a PC only thing. Homey don't play that.
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 am

I've played several gigs now where I've got my iPhone plugged into my Motu. When the current piece is finished I quickly fire up Bloom and tap out a little ambient riff. It's the perfect filler. I've even just left it running and started a new piece using Bloom as the backdrop.

BeatMaker would be another fun one to use, but a bit more setup time. Food for thought...