lucky Beta testers for Live 8.. initial thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:40 am

My first impression - they put a lot of work into increasing the different ways you can do one thing which is something I have loved about Live, the ability to do 1 thing so many different ways.

The new Operator is great! It's just like the old one, but with more ways to customize your sound yet not any more complicated. Love it!

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:33 am

Don't have Beta yet. What I see in the screenshots multiband dynamics doesn't have a sidechain function. But can you select a single band as input on another track?

deva

Post by deva » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 am

ytsek wrote:Don't have Beta yet. What I see in the screenshots multiband dynamics doesn't have a sidechain function. But can you select a single band as input on another track?
tried it... no go... would be a nice addition

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am

Where did you find the beta when the first round for beta tester was still open? On the ableton startpage?

GT

Post by GT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:30 am

nbinder wrote:Where did you find the beta when the first round for beta tester was still open? On the ableton startpage?
http://www.ableton.com/pages/beta

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Has anyone managed to get an overview of the "improved MIDI editing"?

Specifically, there are two specific requests I'm very curious to know if they've
implemented:

1) multiple MIDI clip transposition
2) "fold to scale" (that is, fold the clip to include the current notes in all octaves)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Recording macros to arrange, do we now have smooth modulation curves, or is it still distorted to triangle shapes?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Willyum wrote:Just missed the beta....

So how about time stretch for Simpler or Sampler so I can have time stretch in Drum Racks??
I'm afraid to answer... :cry: I haven't opened simpler yet, but so far not looking good. At work now though so can't check...
Professional Shark Jumper.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:51 pm

We're sorry, this round of Live 8 beta testing is closed.
Please try again during the next round of beta testing.
SOOOO depressing.

What operating systems are you PC guys using? Is anyone testing w/ Vista 64? I have to assume stability will improve as Ableton gets revved up for Windows 7?

Has anyone noticed whether they've added the ability to map Program Change messages from MIDI controllers yet?? Such a small thing, but it would make a ton of my useless gear useful again. Right up there w/ fixing the 128-parameter limit (HURRAH!)

Grouping looks awesome, and I'm psyched about the new warping paradigm (never really got on with the old one.) I was planning on skipping 8 but I'm totally psyched now. Looking like this is going to renew my interest in recording after a long time in the doldrums.

Is MAX/MSP part of the standard release, or is it sold seperately? How does it compare with NI Reaktor?

P.S. How could I forget: LOOPER LOOPER LOOPER LOOPER LOOPER!!!

Actuel

Post by Actuel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:17 pm

mbenigni wrote:SOOOO depressing.
really? this is what brings you down, not making the first wave of beta? never google Darfur, you'd surely kill yourself with grief.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Any difference to loop recording midi in Arrange view?

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:46 pm

really? this is what brings you down, not making the first wave of beta? never google Darfur, you'd surely kill yourself with grief.
No need to be a prick, dude. It's called "context".

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:06 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Willyum wrote:Just missed the beta....

So how about time stretch for Simpler or Sampler so I can have time stretch in Drum Racks??
I'm afraid to answer... :cry: I haven't opened simpler yet, but so far not looking good. At work now though so can't check...
Thanx for checking....

I don't get it, people don't like to tune their samples or something. It seems to me that controlling the speed and pitch of your sounds would be priority for everybody!

Even if I Tune my samples and consolidate prior to dropping them in Drum Rack (which is what I do as a temporary fix to have properly tuned samples), I can not touch tempo anymore or else everything falls apart.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 pm

I don't like if you are using the qwerty to play an instrument and make an adjustment to the synths parameters via mouse, when you go back to play the qwerty the synth doesn't play. You have to click somewhere outside of the plugin on lives gui to get the qwerty to work again.

Is there some option I can check so it doesn't do this. Also I don't like how you can't zoom in and out on the upper portion of clip view now.

Other than that everything else is cool.

Actuel

Post by Actuel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:27 pm

mbenigni wrote:
No need to be a prick, dude. It's called "context".
Sure, and I'm calling "perspective". Relax, you'll get your precious soon enough.