[frs] Severe glitches while recording MIDI clips

db91977

[frs] Severe glitches while recording MIDI clips

Post by db91977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:44 am

After installing and launching Live 8, and after a warm boot to ensure the system had reset, I started recording MIDI clips using the Trigger Finger. I was able to record a couple of clips, but on my third clip on the same track, I experienced the following:

1. Live stopped responding to my MIDI input.

2. When I triggered the recorded clip for playback, with the mouse, it paused, then very jerkily played back the clip.

3. It seems as though Live's playback of the clip is being halted every few seconds, then a burst of playback occurs (less than 1/2 second, more like 1/10th of a second). It is unusable in this state.

4. The metronome is affected also, and does not advance when the playback is hung up.

5. I also noticed that all other system functions on the laptop are very slow, even after I stopped playback of the clip. When I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, it takes about 10 seconds for the Task Manager to come up.

6. In the Performance tab of the Task Manager, the CPU usage is going between 7% and 17%, with Live still running and me not doing anything on the computer (I'm posting this using another computer).

7. The Commit Charge in the Task Manager is slowly increasing- currently at 1884036 (1.8 GB). It looks like all my RAM is being used- 1309172 Total, and 9000 - 18000 K available. This sounds low! As I'm watching the Commit Charge, it's still increasing; now at 1975080.

8. When I tried closing Live just now, it came up with a message, "A serious program error has occurred. Live will shut down after this message box is closed." I clicked OK on the box, and Live closed. There's still a Live 8.0b2.exe process running, though, and it's hanging on to all my memory still- 1,129,576 Mem Usage.

I'll cold-boot the machine this time, then launch Live again and see how it does.

--Doug

db91977

Re: Severe glitches while recording MIDI clips

Post by db91977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 am

Additional notes:

1. After a cold boot of the machine, I looked at the memory usage in the Task Manager. Commit Charge is now 121156 (121 MB), before starting up Live 8.

2. After Starting Live, I'm watching the Commit Charge. 182000, going up to about 250000. It's steady while Live is displaying a message "Live unexpectedly quit while working on the Live Set "Unnamed Live Set." Would you like to recover your work? I answer No. CPU usage is now hitting 100% and Commit Charge is up to 640348.

3. After Live is loaded, Commit Charge is hovering around 625 MB. A bug reporting window is displayed in Live. I made a few comments, and it was saved to the desktop.

4. I started recording another MIDI clip on the same track as previously used. I am using a Session Drums instrument, played with the M-Audio Trigger Finger. After recording a couple of bars of a beat, audio from Live stopped. I am now seeing the Page File Usage going up in the histogram, and the Commit Charge is at 812964 and rising. Same symptoms as before- audio and metronome are heard for short bursts, with pauses of a few seconds between bursts.

5. After 5 minutes of this behavior, Page File usage is up to 1.06 GB and rising. Commit Charge is 1152068 and rising. I'll reboot.

--Doug

db91977 wrote: 7. The Commit Charge in the Task Manager is slowly increasing- currently at 1884036 (1.8 GB). It looks like all my RAM is being used- 1309172 Total, and 9000 - 18000 K available. This sounds low! As I'm watching the Commit Charge, it's still increasing; now at 1975080.

--Doug

db91977

Post by db91977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 am

A few more notes regarding this bug:

1. This time, after a reboot of the machine and launching Live, I didn't immediately start recording any clips. Instead, I let Live just idle for a while (about 10 minutes), with my Session Drums track armed. I watched the CPU usage in Live, and it hovers around 1%.

2. Task Manager in Windows XP reports about 7%-17% CPU usage. The Page File Usage is at 1.29 GB and slowly increasing, consistent with the previous symptoms. The Commit Charge is reading 1402040 and increasing. The Total Physical Memory is 1309172, and the Available memory is varying between 7000 and 18000 K.

3. With the Session Drums track armed, I can play notes via the Trigger Finger; however, the audio from each pad trigger is delayed, varying from about 1/4 second to over a second. Sometimes, notes triggered do not output audio at all from Live.

4. After attempting to trigger more notes on the Trigger Finger, Live crashed with the "A serious program error has occurred" message. I note that the CPU usage indicator in Live is stuck at 249% before closing the error box and exiting Live.

5. After exiting Live, I noticed that the Page File Usage stays high, the available memory about the same as noted above, and the Live executable process still runs. After about 5 minutes, the process finally ends, the Page File Usage drops suddenly to only 113 MB, and the available memory jumps up to about 1.2 GB.

--db

db91977

Post by db91977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Note - I found that if I renamed the preferences.cfg file and restarted Live 8, it created a new preferences file and ran OK. I was able to load the template file I was using previously and record clips with no problems. Memory usage is normal- Page File Usage is 510 MB and steady; Commit Charge is 522956 and steady, over about 10 minutes.

Since Live 7 ran fine with its preferences file, it looks like there's a problem with Live 8 using the old preferences.

--Doug

Friedemann

Post by Friedemann » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi,

could you send the Live 7 preferences file and the template Live set to
beta@ableton.com ?

Best, Friedemann
Friedemann Schautz
schautz@ableton.com

db91977

Post by db91977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Done! Thanks.