"Strength" option in Record Quantization

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
db91977

"Strength" option in Record Quantization

Post by db91977 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

I don't know if this request is too late for Live 8, but when programming drum beats in real time, I have often wished for a better quantize function in Live. At the least, give us the "Strength" option in Record Quantize. I'd like to tighten up my beats a little, but not make them robotic. Abes could take a look at the Pro Tools quantize functionality- this is a pretty good implementation, imho.

--Doug

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Agreed

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

If you go into the clip view of the midi recording and select all the notes you want to quantize you can then right click on them and select quantize. In that window you will have an option to quantize by percentage.

Why this is not available as a automatic preference I have no idea and wish I could just set live to quantize to 16th notes with a 90% quantize and be done with it as opposed to having to go into each clip one at a time as I record them.

db91977

Post by db91977 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Yes, you can currently select notes after-the-fact and quantize by percentage. But as you mention, we really need that capability in live looping. If I'm playing a drum beat on my Trigger Finger and then immediately adding a bass line, I can't afford the time to mess around with selecting midi notes and choosing quantize options. I need to be able to preset these options and have Live do it "on the fly".

I have come up with a few ideas in a new post.

--Doug

Mike Goodwin wrote:If you go into the clip view of the midi recording and select all the notes you want to quantize you can then right click on them and select quantize. In that window you will have an option to quantize by percentage.

Why this is not available as a automatic preference I have no idea and wish I could just set live to quantize to 16th notes with a 90% quantize and be done with it as opposed to having to go into each clip one at a time as I record them.

audiojunkies

Agreed This feature needs to be implemented

Post by audiojunkies » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Yes especially as a live artist this really needs implementing to tighten things up especially with loop now comming online, we havent time to quantize, we need it on the fly..

This feature has been in other daws since time began, it was even in my old Ensoniq Workstation that i recorded my Top 60 Hits on!! back in 1989