How does Live actually handle Track Delay/Pre-Delay?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Max Oepen

How does Live actually handle Track Delay/Pre-Delay?

Post by Max Oepen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:55 am

What exactly does Live do when Track Delay (positive or negative values) is added?

The manual is not enlightening on this issue. The results seem to vary (though there has to be an underlying formula) depending on how Track Delay is applied and on the signal-routing. What gets delayed, what stays in place, especially when various delays are used, and how do they compound when chained.

(For a related post of mine, see here)

Thanks,
Max.
Last edited by Max Oepen on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Does it have anything to do to short out latency???

No idea, someone to explain please

Marx

Post by Marx » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:27 pm

inakiesarte wrote:Does it have anything to do to short out latency???

No idea, someone to explain please
I actually use the track delay to sync samples I'm using with the beat in my sequencer. So if I warp a guitar sample and it's not quite syncing with the drums I made in Drum Racks, I'll use track delay as a nudge feature. I actually think the nudge button on the APC is mapped to track delay (this is just what I assumed when they talked about this feature in the demo).

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Cool, I dont know why but I was thinking it was related to latency. After I try it seems to be the track delays whenever you bring the values up( positives), and I dont experience any change when I put negatives values...

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:50 pm

does "track delay" delay just the midi notes or the whole piece of audio on that track? Like if I had a AutoFilter syncing to quarter notes, does the filter move when I delay the track?

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Marx wrote:I actually think the nudge button on the APC is mapped to track delay (this is just what I assumed when they talked about this feature in the demo).
The APC nudge buttons are almost certainly mapped to the master Tempo Nudge buttons (9.1.3).

Marx

Post by Marx » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm

anamexis wrote:
Marx wrote:I actually think the nudge button on the APC is mapped to track delay (this is just what I assumed when they talked about this feature in the demo).
The APC nudge buttons are almost certainly mapped to the master Tempo Nudge buttons (9.1.3).
touche

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

LOL, would someone actually dare to answer my question?
We probably need some input from the developers to avoid confusion.

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:11 pm

Bippedy Bumpedy Boo.

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 am

Anybody?
Anybody at all?
Don't make me come over there

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:49 am

personally I only use the track delay to compensate for midi latency when playing midi from Live to my Nord Rack.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:13 am

Negative values bring the whole track infront of the beat and positive push the track output behind the beat. It is simply a way of moving the timing of the output for that track in question. Hence the term "Track Delay" althoughI guess "Track Advance and Retard" might describe it better.

You can use it for latency compensation, or for a swing effect on percussion etc.

Unforutnately it is not useable while the audio is actually playing as you get crackles when you drag change the value.

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

UKRuss wrote:Negative values bring the whole track infront of the beat and positive push the track output behind the beat. It is simply a way of moving the timing of the output for that track in question. Hence the term "Track Delay" althoughI guess "Track Advance and Retard" might describe it better.

You can use it for latency compensation, or for a swing effect on percussion etc.

Unforutnately it is not useable while the audio is actually playing as you get crackles when you drag change the value.
Can it be a tool to use to reduce the latency then?

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

UKRuss wrote:Negative values bring the whole track infront of the beat and positive push the track output behind the beat. It is simply a way of moving the timing of the output for that track in question. Hence the term "Track Delay" althoughI guess "Track Advance and Retard" might describe it better.

Can it be a tool to use to reduce the latency then?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 pm

To compensate for latency when triggering external midi devices for example, sure, why not.