How do I assign XXXXX to my midi controller?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Will you buy the new Akai APC 40?

Yes, it will make my life easier!
100%
No, I like the features/flexibility of my current controller.
No votes

Total votes: 4

hcabalic

How do I assign XXXXX to my midi controller?

Post by hcabalic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:21 am

Hopefully this topic does not exist elsewhere. I'm sure I'll be adding many more questions to this topic, and feel free to any questions you may have, cause I know I'm not the only one!

==========
I am using:
==========
Ableton Live 7
Novation ReMOTE 25 SL

Currently I put a bunch of effects on my "A Return" track, then turn up the send A knob on any other track to achieve the desired effect. I know how to assign the 'on/off' button on each effect on a button on my midi controller, however, I want to be able to move between the multiple effects with, for example, a 'scroll left' and 'scroll right' button.

I notice that when you click the header bar of any effect, it's 'highlighted' or 'selected' and there is a little hand called the Remote Control icon, but it seems to me that this is not assignable. I would like to be able to assign this so that I can move between effects without having to use my mouse.

Please help? Thanks!

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:40 am

chain selector
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

hcabalic

Post by hcabalic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:07 am

Trypset wrote:chain selector
I'm new to ableton, will need a more detailed explanation of chain selector?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:42 am

you can also set the effects over multiple chains and have them running alone or several at once.

And of course you can simply map the chain selector to a macro & control it using the remote's Live automap template

hcabalic

Post by hcabalic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am

Dexes wrote:
you can also set the effects over multiple chains and have them running alone or several at once.
Thank you Dexes, does this mean that in order for me to have two or more effects running at once, their 'regions' in the chain will overlap?

I originally had trouble finding the 'Audio Effect Rack' but had to do a little searching.

H

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

hcabalic wrote: Thank you Dexes, does this mean that in order for me to have two or more effects running at once, their 'regions' in the chain will overlap?
Yes, in the first pic. setting the chainselector to 0 will send the signal through the auto filter, 1 through the flanger...
in the second example 0 sends the signal through auto filter, 1 through auto filter & flanger, 2 flanger only...

edit:
Of course you can also put effects that you will always use together in one chain as you would do without the rack arround it

fuckwit2.0

Post by fuckwit2.0 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 pm

I've owned quite a few MIDI controllers and I've sold them all. None of them have been quite right.

I had a Novation SL, but the Automap technology is (IMHO) absolute dogshit.

I had an Akai MPD32, but I could never settle on a configuration I liked.

Now I have Kore 2 with the controller - this is perfect for controlling synths, but I want a separate controller for Live.

So yes - I will DEFINITELY be buying the APC40.
MacPro Quad 2.66
Fireface 400, Event ASP8, UAD-1e, M-Key,
Live 7, Kore 2, Reaktor 5, Kontakt 3, Battery 3, Sylenth1, Blue, SoundToys NativeFX, Plogue Bidule, other stuff

bhuvan

Post by bhuvan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Hello.

I've been looking for a way where I could move warp markers around with a controller instead of dragging with the mouse. Wanted to know what would be the way to tweak the timing of sample in a live situation (without mouse click and drag).

I also saw the Warp marker save in the manual. But that will not let you store multiple presets.

Need to change the feel and sound of loop on the fly!

If anyone has an idea how to do this, pl help.

Thanks.
MacBook Pro 15", Mac OSX 10.5.5, Logic Studio 8, Ableton Live 8.1.5, MOTU Traveler, Dynaudio BM6A, novation ZeRO SL MkII, novation Launchpad, M-Audio Ozonic, M-Audio MK449C

hcabalic

Post by hcabalic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Dexes wrote: you can also set the effects over multiple chains and have them running alone or several at once.
Dexes,

Whenever my cursor is in an overlapped section, the volume increases, overloading the entire mix. How can I have the volume adjust accordingly so when I run several effects together, the master volume is not effected?

H