sleepless in London

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Screen

Post by Screen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:44 pm

[quote="onyxashanti"
[/quote]

I've been heavy on the broken beat thing myself, lately. in fact , i'm gonna try and play at Co-op a bit, later on tonight. there is a little place over in shoreditch that i'm gonna ask to let me have as a music geek hangout. they have plenty of outlets, and i think they would love it.[/quote]

cool, post info when you have the 1st ever meet.

I'll even cross the river, from deepest South London ;-)

aural roberts

Post by aural roberts » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:57 pm

hi onyxashanti,

do you know about the Sprawl club in London ? This is from the website :-
Located in London, England, The Sprawl is a club, which has been active for the past seven years and is devoted to spotlighting modern artists (musicians and multimedia) and DJs, primarily in the electronic realm. The Sprawl is also involved with web site launches, CD-ROM demos, etc. After 100 Sprawl events and starting monthly, then moving to weekly, The Sprawl is once again a monthly happening.

In the words of Douglas Benford, "The Sprawl is a club in a cafe environment featuring the best of today's sound/beat creative people, combining installations, net stuff, video showcasing and other happenings."
The URL is http://home.earthlink.net/~efrans/benford/sprawl.html

BTW you mentioned you play wind synth - does that mean a synth triggered by a MIDI wind controller ? I'm always interested in new types of control and have wondered whether that type of thing could work with Live.

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:50 pm

aural roberts wrote:
BTW you mentioned you play wind synth - does that mean a synth triggered by a MIDI wind controller ? I'm always interested in new types of control and have wondered whether that type of thing could work with Live.
i use both very heavily, but i usually open fl studio up as a vst in LIVE and control my vsti's through it , rather than controlling a plugin directly from within live. LIVEs midi implementation, although much appreciated and in constant use, is very primitive, which, in itself can be a good thing, but not when you need to control multiple parameters in multiple ways.

that said, i have been experimenting with rewiring live to fl studio, to trigger clips and control oveall effects so that i could [theoretically] DJ a whole set from my wind synth without having to even look at the screen. it'll take me a few weeks before i found out if it is viable, but if it is, it'll be sick as fuck!

smutek

Re: huh?

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:02 pm

m-laboratories.net wrote:Smutek, you have to get out more in baltimore my friend. I'm not there anymore, but the place to go for electronics-friendly live improv is (or was)

http://www.redroom.org/ 425 E. 31st Street, Baltimore.

i see you know about once:twice but they have a store now: 500 block of N. Charles St.

nothing like the days when PJ had a second modern music store though. Anyway, you should try to look up this guy named "kilowatts" from artificial music machine records. he's based in baltimore and is very good from what I've heard.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks a lot for the info. I think I do need to get out more, I've become pretty reclusive the last couple of years. I'll be sure to checkout the redroom and see whats going on there. I also know Jason (stealing moonproject) from once:twice, I used to rap with him a bit when he worked down at sound garden. I heard they were going to open some new spot but didn't realize it had been done.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

Machinate

Re: huh?

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:21 pm

m-laboratories.net wrote:nothing like the days when PJ had a second modern music store though. Anyway, you should try to look up this guy named "kilowatts" from artificial music machine records. he's based in baltimore and is very good from what I've heard.
And he's a live user - and he has posted here before. He's very good.

andreX

try sprawl

Post by andreX » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:54 am

Hi, onyxashanti,

try the sprawl
http://www.dfuse.com/sprawl/sprawl_mainpage.htm
it´s a monthly event curated by Iris Garrelf and Douglas Benford.
We´ve played there in march and loved it very much.

best,
Andre
MacBookPro 15" retina 2013, MacOSX 10.13, Faderfox LX1, LV1, VDMX, Live 9