help with my set up

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dubgil

help with my set up

Post by dubgil » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm

ever since I got further and further into live, I use less and less hardware.

right now, I'm primarily using my computer with Ableton and various VSTi's.
However, there are times I'd like to record stuff I've made on my KORG electribes. I'm having trouble with sync problems. I dunno if it's WARPING matter or a souncard matter or what.

Ableton is set to EXT, as is my Korg Electibe. My midi controller (Korg microKontrol) is sending the clock.

I arm an audio track, it records the Electribe. Warp tempo says it's the tempo set by the microKontrol.

-HOWEVER the warp markers don't line up at all. There's space between the marker and the transients of the kick, hat, snare (enough space it doesn't really sync - although it sounds in sync you can tell it's not perfect)
Once I start fiddlign around with the warp markers the Warp tempo changes
(should I be worried about that)

I tought live 7 autowarping did this all for you. Must I have to insert the warp markers at each transient? The Electribe is playing a straight ahead 4x4 techno rhythm.

I have warp turned to beats - 1/16. Should I have it on complex

SHould I be warping at all?

I'm lost in this, obvious I am a noob. I've read most of chapter 9 and I can't figure this out.

would it better to record what I'm doing on the Electribe to Audacity and then import that wav.

How do you record a guitarist or other instruments in Live then and have it match up (maybe you don't Warp, I guess)

laird

Re: help with my set up

Post by laird » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 pm

dubgil wrote: Ableton is set to EXT, as is my Korg Electibe. My midi controller (Korg microKontrol) is sending the clock.
Try using Live as the master, and slave the mikro and electribes to it. Then see if stuff improves. No Warping should be done at all... all you will need to do is adjust the sample start time to adjust for a little latency. That's it. They should all be at the same tempo... ergo, no warping!

laird

Post by laird » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:08 pm

and, yes, I'd only record a guitarist if he or she was recording at a completely different tempo than Live. Such as if I sampled a guitarist from another record, or they really sucked.