silent disco anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

silent disco anyone?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm

everyone wears headphones at the event, participants can change channels to hear a different DJ. if you're not wearing headphones you can't hear the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQpDaC0 ... re=related <---Silent Disco, Victoria Station

anyone been to one?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 pm

i caught a flashmob at liverpool st station a few years ago, it was a complete joy.. people are dancing to whatever they have on their own ipods, rather than the organised silent discos they have at big events where the music is played to everyone at the same time wirelessly.

i totally loved seeing hundreds of people dancing silently in the middle of hundreds of depressed office workers making their way home at rush hour, it's silly, but nicely thought provoking. i actually spontaneously came up 8) :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 am

That would be soooooo much better with the main lights killed and club lighting going.

But I also think everything is better like that.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 am

beats me wrote:That would be soooooo much better with the main lights killed and club lighting going.

Are you speaking out of experience? Like the "Oh my god who the f**k are you and why am I in your bed"?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 am

SimonPHC wrote:
beats me wrote:That would be soooooo much better with the main lights killed and club lighting going.

Are you speaking out of experience? Like the "Oh my god who the f**k are you and why am I in your bed"?
Beer goggles can't even come close to the bonding power of fog and laser scans.

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 am

Seen them at Electric Picnic.
Really fun.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 pm

trevorc wrote:i caught a flashmob at liverpool st station a few years ago, it was a complete joy.. people are dancing to whatever they have on their own ipods, rather than the organised silent discos they have at big events where the music is played to everyone at the same time wirelessly.

i totally loved seeing hundreds of people dancing silently in the middle of hundreds of depressed office workers making their way home at rush hour, it's silly, but nicely thought provoking. i actually spontaneously came up 8) :lol:
Think I stumbled into that one as well. Naturally dropped my shopping and joined in. Yeah, that was really good fun, bit of random silliness put me in a good mood for a week. Staff and police seemed pretty ammused by the whole thing as well, which was good. Sadly missed the start, though. Would have liked to have seen everyone's reaction.

Not so sure about the real silent discos. Been to an early one in glastonbury and wasn't that impressed. Probably because there weren't nearly enough headsets for the size of the tent. Really lacked atmosphere. Maybe they've improved a bit now.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 pm

trevorc wrote:i caught a flashmob at liverpool st station a few years ago, it was a complete joy.. people are dancing to whatever they have on their own ipods, rather than the organised silent discos they have at big events where the music is played to everyone at the same time wirelessly.

Think I stumbled into that one as well. Naturally dropped my shopping and joined in. Yeah, that was really good fun, bit of random silliness put me in a good mood for a week. Staff and police seemed pretty ammused by the whole thing as well, which was good. Sadly missed the start, though. Would have liked to have seen everyone's reaction.

Not so sure about the real silent discos. Been to an early one in glastonbury and wasn't that impressed. Probably because there weren't nearly enough headsets for the size of the tent. Really lacked atmosphere. Maybe they've improved a bit now.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:40 pm

i've been in one, terrible, people are afraid to dance, and if you want to speak with a girl you need to take your headphone off, what's wrong with old school discos? i don't understand :D

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:30 pm

freshdrumma wrote:i've been in one, terrible, people are afraid to dance, and if you want to speak with a girl you need to take your headphone off, what's wrong with old school discos? i don't understand :D
They introduced them at Glastonbury so people could carry on partying after the noise curfew introduced by the cursed Criminal Justice Act.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 pm

[quote="andydes] Really lacked atmosphere. [/quote]

heh hehhhh, maybe becasue there was no sound?

If you take your headphones off you just hear farting and the gentle swishing of fabric on thigh and boot on grass. Pretty trippy.

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 pm

been to the ones they have at bonnaroo....i really liked it, kind of a gimmick though but its great fun to watch people dance with no music and then walk in and put some phones on and start dancing yourself. there was always a crowd around it just watching people dance because it can be so funny sometimes.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 pm

tried it once, with a smaller crowd though..

its just plain weird.. weird.. weird.. funny for a couple of minutes..
biggest downside is you dont feel the music, just hear it..

and offering drinks to women is problematic as well.. :wink:

dhilsabeck

Re: silent disco anyone?

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Tone Deft wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQpDaC0 ... re=related <---Silent Disco, Victoria Station
"Silent Disco" minus the dude who just had to bring the fucking whistle.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:00 am

beats me wrote:
SimonPHC wrote:

Beer goggles can't even come close to the bonding power of fog and laser scans.
LOL - used to get pretty hot and steamy in the long room in the End club in london - real dense fog, lots of lasers otherwise just dark and loud - its quite small and erm - intimate ;)

The only who-the-fuck-are-you moment I had after that place was actually quite nice to wake up to ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!