most STABLE audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Phobos

Post by Phobos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 am

I've had a few different audio interfaces (around 5 different boxes through the years). I always thought there could be better bargains found and didn't buy a Motu Ultralite MK3 interface until now, and now I simply regret not buying it earlier, it's that good!

Compared to for example Focusrite's Saphire Pro 10/10, which I had on test for a week when making the new purchase desicion, the build quality alone of the Motu isn't that much better, but the drivers are!

The Motu driver hasn't failed me once now (only been in use for a couple of months, though) and can take more strain on a 128 sample buffer. I find that the only allowable buffer size for live playing (for drum pads, keyboard software synths etc.).

Go for a quality interface and you'll actually save money on the long run and make more music 8)
Push things >>

---
(Macbook Pro, OS X 10.5.6., Ableton Live 7.0.14, Motu Ultralite MK3, Axiom49, Behringer BCF2000, TC Electronic LevelPilot, Genelec 8020A+7050A sub)

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:46 pm

timothyallan wrote: USB2 bad.

Firewire better.

not always.

and best still is pci/pcmcia. go for motu (only pci and usb/fw) or rme (anything but usb).
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:33 pm

+1 for the RME...I've used a Multiface for three years now and never had a problem, it works like charm.Just to add...RME cards don't use Firewire protocol but their own which is faster,safer,more reliable. :wink:

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:06 pm

+1 on the RME

RME400 Macpro here :!:

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Yeh wrote:I've got an RME HDSP Multiface and Emu 1820M Digital Audio System. Allthough the Emu is highly flexible, has better conveters, inboard dsp effects, and more inputs/outputs and features, the RME seems to be more stable.

thats true, the drivers and straight architecture of the rme are very solid. the emu sounds good and the patching system is genius, but the cards drivers have problems with the latency (not the overall stability). these are minor problems, little dropouts from time to time (sometimes it works better on 8ms latency than on 12ms etc). ok with my purposes so far, but for live situations thats really a killer.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:52 pm

mouthster wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:
timothyallan wrote:To summarize:

USB2 bad.

Firewire better.
why?
From what I've read the thoroughput for USB 2.0 just isn't consistent like Firewire is. Which is why you'll see Firewire 400 drives outperform USB 2.0 drives even though USB 2.0 is rated at a higher 480 Mb/s. That inconsistency would effect audio streams.
From what i've TRIED this is completely true. At a point you'll encounter stuttering and drop out's. MAYBE on very small projects MAYBE.

I'll take firewire any day , very proven .
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:56 pm

And by the way I've been running the original MOTU Ultralite with no problems for 3 years straight.

I'm seriously thinking about the MK III version, and using the original as a dedicated gig unit.

RME makes great firewire kit as well you can't go wrong with either.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Heiko

Post by Heiko » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 pm

What about the Apogee Duet? not many ins and outs, but the quality should be great. Anyway, contemplating on either Ultralite, Duet or the Firebox, to be used live on stage running 2 mics through Ableton.....
Grtz,

Heiko
http://www.heikodijker.com
http://www.indianmusiccircle.com
Instead of thinking of Things you have to Think of Possibilities

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:05 pm

+1 for the MOTU ultralite. never had a problem with mine. works flawlessly.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:11 pm

my vote for RME - rock solid for me (laptop and desktop PC).

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Heiko wrote:What about the Apogee Duet? not many ins and outs, but the quality should be great. Anyway, contemplating on either Ultralite, Duet or the Firebox, to be used live on stage running 2 mics through Ableton.....
Grtz,

Heiko
No doubt the Apogee wins hands down as far as sound quality goes. BUT like you said the I/O SUCKS.

It's a choice you'll have make. Back in the day i scored an Apogee Mini-Me that i now run into the MOTU Digitally via s/pdif and the difference between the 2 is VERY noticeable.

It depends what your needs are.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:24 pm

:lol: you guys are funny, "helping" out, 2.3 years after the fact! as if there aren't enough new "pick me an interface" questions, now we dig them out of the grave 8O
hey op, did you ever get this sorted? :P

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:47 pm

I wouldn't recommend the Firebox.
Unstable drivers/firmware (the box sometimes just dies completely) and no interest from Presonus to change the situation.
Look at their forum, there's a long thread about it.

The answer I got from their "support" made one thing clear:
I personally will never buy anything Presonus again.

The other thing is, that they reduced the gain you can use on the mic/instrument in's so that it can run on firewire-juice alone. (Why not be clever and reduce it only when bus-powered?). Now I have to actually use a separate mic preamp for it... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Edit: hahahah - dcease, you are right, didn't realize I'm answering an archeological question ;-)
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

channelite

Post by channelite » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:11 pm

So far on my Mac Pro, the M-Box2 and Motu 828 Mk3 have worked flawlessly. I have also tried the Edirol FA-66 which I returned because there was cracking/ artifacts in the audio.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

My Ultralite has been rock fucking solid over the last two and a half years, and I've beat the shit out of it. I use it almost daily for recording.
I've never experienced ANY issues with it and OSX.
Highly recommended. :D