APC40 will have to wait, I got a guitar!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

APC40 will have to wait, I got a guitar!

Post by djsynchro » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:06 am

I'd forgotten what it was like to be in love with an instrument! I'm crazy about Live but I can't touch it, when I switch off the computer it's gone.
Yay! I got a 2nd hand Italia semi-acoustic with 2 humbuckers AND a piezo pickup, so it can sound like a dark 50's rock & roll guitar and very close to an acoustic too, stereo! It gets on well with my guitary UAD plugins (Roland Space Echo)

Feels like when I first started DJing, I hardly have any technique but it's sounding great already and I love it. Blues scales baby! Amazing how many nuances bends trills squeeks & squeals there are in a physical intrument.

Lastly, now I have the perfect excuse to start building and collecting analogue stompboxes!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 am

welcome sir, welcome....

I'm selling a bunch of my boss stomps. Nothing crazy but all usable. I'm moving to a guitar rig/or Pod rig.

i play too much to carry that damn tube amp everywhere...
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:21 am

I was getting all excited about Live8, then I reintroduced myself to my bass, and now only want to spend time practicing. I too am looking to get a Pod, preferably an X3 floor, so I can process bass/guitar/vocals when recording AND play live.
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:45 am

That's awesome man. Sometimes you really do need to step away from the computer, strap on a real instrument or put one in front of you, and jam away, sometimes wondering why you spend all this money and frustration on your computer studio with every instrument emulation imaginable when all you need is the 6 strings under your palm.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:08 am

I´ve been mulling over getting myself some inexpensive bass guitar to plug into my TonePort, to obtain some music theory and songwriting skills...

I think it would be a far better investment than another controller or plug in...but that APC40 looks might fine....grrr

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:14 am

I'm having a great time getting back into playing a real instrument again without the crutch of a computer. It makes me realize why I got into music in the first place!
Last edited by hambone1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:18 am

i've been using my guitar to write melodies and parts and then i play them on the synths. It turns out sounding much better than my previous stuff. I'm a guitar player by trade so i just think and play more natural.

A nice idea. I don't even have the the plugged in, i just pick it up and pluck along till i find it. Injects some analog juice into the digital work flow.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:47 am

yeah acoustic instruments are the thing basically, whole different flavour. i didn´t touch live/pc music for about one full year without even recognizing when i learned my first guitar basics and just wrote song after song. and thats the way to do it now, jamming and writing on guitar, then work some of that out with a band or the computer. the computer gets the more primitive/straight and some of the more silent/atmospheric pieces that might live more by scaping sound.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 am

Jekblad wrote:welcome sir, welcome....

I'm selling a bunch of my boss stomps. Nothing crazy but all usable. I'm moving to a guitar rig/or Pod rig.

i play too much to carry that damn tube amp everywhere...
I know it's a question of cash, but I really, really regret selling my Boss stomps. If you can, hang on to them!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am

Welcome to the amazing world of guitar! You'll never stop loving it!

- Enjoy!
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:05 pm

It's the eighties in reverse! In the 80's especially english bands started messing with synths & samplers (that were just getting practical to use) but the main flesh of the music would often still be guitar, drums, bass.

I'm at the stage where I have produced synthetic sounds for so long, the sounds that grab me most are from the real world, circuit bent stuff, acoustic, electric stuff. Just what my music needed - it's going to be a massive change!!!! Also the guitar is THE instrument for songwriting (as in vocals) something about the tuning and how it works and how easy it is to transopse stuff. Wonderful :D

dominicw78

Should I get back into guitar?

Post by dominicw78 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:16 pm

I used to play the guitar for about 5 years and was obessed with it. Then I got into making beats many years ago and my guitar playing completely stopped.

Over the last year I keep having dreams about me buying a new electric guitar and getting back into it. Then I wake up and I think about the practicality of it and how much I would actually play and practice it and then decide against.

The thing is I´d like to get back into but fear it will take away the time I have for working with live. I kind of feel if I´m not going to practice all the time to get good, what´s the point?

Anyone else done what I´m considering? Was it a good move for you or not?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Pick one as your main one as side instrument. Knowing how to work a DAW is the fastest way to producing but being able to play instruments is very handy. I wasn't a very good drummer but it has trained my ear to know if grooves work and I don't have to quantise if I want to retain some "feel".

Intruments is ;ike languages, the more you know the easier it is to get your head around another one.

gjm

Re: Should I get back into guitar?

Post by gjm » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:02 pm

dominicw78 wrote:The thing is I´d like to get back into but fear it will take away the time I have for working with live. I kind of feel if I´m not going to practice all the time to get good, what´s the point?

Anyone else done what I´m considering? Was it a good move for you or not?
Isn't getting 'good' a subjective thing?
I have played for nearly 25 years and subjectively I think I am crap at playing.
Doesn't stop the new music from flowing.
Isn't Live and your guitar simply two different tools at your disposal?
Could not one blend with the other?

Maybe the point is that the guitar can add another layer of musical texture to your current skill base.
You might not evolve into a concert guitarist, but you will continue to build your musical foundation.

xh9o

Re: Should I get back into guitar?

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:09 pm

dominicw78 wrote:I kind of feel if I´m not going to practice all the time to get good, what´s the point?

many musicians complain about the state when knowing their instrument too good, they fall into routine and lack the free dilletant feel nescessary to good improvisation. its like havng lost a lovely youth. if you spend a really joyful time with sth, then you will earn sth from it. but thinking "oh hell i´m just a little sucker! mommy!" depresses you from the very start and then yeah, it would be a waste of time. maybe reset your mind and attitude and fuckin kick it off!.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay