What Kind fo Innovations Would You Like To See In Hip-hop ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Darwinist wrote:
dysanfel wrote:
Please write songs that are not about the these 5 things.... :?

I don't listen to hiphop any more because I just don't want listen to rappers talk about how great they are. I dont care. :roll:
People ARE writing songs that are not about these three things.

They just aren't deemed cool enough to get airplay.

A few examples of my all-time favorites(I´ve included lyrics links too:

Sage Francis

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZL33Uz8dw
Lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/sage ... ssist.html

Saul Williams

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerpGwbLSM8
Lyrics: http://lyrics.astraweb.com/display/930/ ... guage.html

cLOUDDEAD

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDHR2OY5h8
Lyrics: http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/cloud ... 36141.html

Aesop Rock

video & lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAKOfk7_ho

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9qNrmq0bw
lyrics: http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1712920/E ... ock-Lyrics

This is just scratching the surface. I can turn you on to dozens of acts who do anything from political rhymes, abstract shit, personal reflection to humor.

Hip-Hop is just a certain delivery system of musical and lyrical ideas. Sure, it has some conventions, but what contents it delivers is wide open.
Haha, cLOUDDEAD are great - it's like the Stanley Unwin version of hip-hop.

stickmartin

I hope I've been innovative

Post by stickmartin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 am

We put out this hip hop album last year. Everything was done completely in Ableton. I used a lot of vst's though. We really tried to do a hip hop record that didn't rely on rap cliches, unless it was for comic effect. Anyway, download it if you want and tell me what you think. I think the link will only work for three days.

Your download "Thrilla" is ready to be picked up at the following address:

http://thestickmartinshow.com/go/ppd?au ... C56F7DBA3D

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:56 am

Machinesworking wrote:

Also if somebody was to figure out how to get a Breakcore type feel into Hip Hop, that would be cool as hell IMO.
Your wish has been granted.

http://www.myspace.com/thefoodforanimals

Get your hands on a copy of Cut and Paste

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:03 am

dredd i knight wrote: There's a lot of people dissing hip hop for plagarism and lack of creativity, its funny cos elsewhere in the art world, gluing various peices of other peoples work together is a bona fide artform ie: photo montage, and collage. It's just these precious "real musicians" who cant see the form and beauty and artistry inherent in that kind of endeavour.
Bingo. Reminds me of the kids back in school that would call me "gay" for enjoying music that contained synthesizers. In that group of kids, only guitars and drums were valid! :lol:

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:47 am

Nick the Zombie wrote: Bingo. Reminds me of the kids back in school that would call me "gay" for enjoying music that contained synthesizers. In that group of kids, only guitars and drums were valid! :lol:
But it's true.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:49 am

pulsoc wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote: Bingo. Reminds me of the kids back in school that would call me "gay" for enjoying music that contained synthesizers. In that group of kids, only guitars and drums were valid! :lol:
But it's true.
That only guitars and drums are valid?

o0o

Re: I hope I've been innovative

Post by o0o » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 am

stickmartin wrote:We put out this hip hop album last year. Everything was done completely in Ableton. I used a lot of vst's though. We really tried to do a hip hop record that didn't rely on rap cliches, unless it was for comic effect. Anyway, download it if you want and tell me what you think. I think the link will only work for three days.

Your download "Thrilla" is ready to be picked up at the following address:

http://thestickmartinshow.com/go/ppd?au ... C56F7DBA3D
is your album your suggestion?
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 am

something else i'd like to see is groups with more than one dj, like 2 or 3 and rappers making better use of the spaces inbetween spaces, tonal changes and tempo changes with-in vocals as well
rabbit

4ace

Post by 4ace » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 pm

o0o wrote:something else i'd like to see is groups with more than one dj, like 2 or 3 and rappers making better use of the spaces inbetween spaces, tonal changes and tempo changes with-in vocals as well
That's borderline musicianship. This would help ALL genres of music today.

In all seriousness those are the exact things that kill most hiphop coming out, it has zero range or depth (Musically/Melodically).
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

o0o

Post by o0o » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 am

4ace wrote:
o0o wrote:something else i'd like to see is groups with more than one dj, like 2 or 3 and rappers making better use of the spaces inbetween spaces, tonal changes and tempo changes with-in vocals as well
That's borderline musicianship. This would help ALL genres of music today.

In all seriousness those are the exact things that kill most hiphop coming out, it has zero range or depth (Musically/Melodically).
i agree in the end result but the method depends on how you look at it, there are many 3 chord rock songs that would be ruined by yoyo mas excellence and musicianship, hiphop is no different, I'm a newborn to this artform so take what i say with a grain of paprika but one of the hardest things for a rapper to do is to rap without changing any tones, it's an art itself, for example take EL-p listen to how he stays the same while everything around him changes, for a rapper at the level of (mc) this is a necessary skill. also listen to eric b and raheim, but what i'd like is for some vocal movement while still maintaining the cadence content
rabbit

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 am

I'd like to see a return to values, morals, and decency in the lyrics and in the lifestyles of artists (and everyone else, for that matter), especially when it comes to influencing youth through music.

It's the irresponsible and materialistic decay of our society (especially the US) that's contributing to making it the laughing stock of the planet and dragging us further into the gutter and down the road to further economic and social ruin.

Decent, responsible lyrics and artists that are positive role models to kids? Now THAT would be innovative...

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:41 pm

hambone1 wrote:I'd like to see a return to values, morals, and decency in the lyrics and in the lifestyles of artists (and everyone else, for that matter), especially when it comes to influencing youth through music.

It's the irresponsible and materialistic decay of our society (especially the US) that's contributing to making it the laughing stock of the planet and dragging us further into the gutter and down the road to further economic and social ruin.

Decent, responsible lyrics and artists that are positive role models to kids? Now THAT would be innovative...
it would also be boring and preachy

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:42 pm

hambone1 wrote:I'd like to see a return to values, morals, and decency in the lyrics and in the lifestyles of artists (and everyone else, for that matter), especially when it comes to influencing youth through music.

spoken like a true speaker

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Geezus wrote:

It's funny, I agree with both Hambone and Geezus.

The reality is SOME kids hear all the gun, money, gangbang, talk, etc and truly believe that is the way to behave and that is entirely depressing to me.

On the other hand, preachy is FREQUENTLY (not always) boring.

I agree that commercial rap is nearly a parody of itself at this point. In a sense, it's becoming less commercially viable/successful as electronic and rock have taken mainstage in pop culture. I wonder how and when rap will reinvent itself.

There is always talk about how people wish for rappers to talk about real life stuff, but the history of rap is that it has OFTEN been aspirational and escapist. I wonder how or if that will ever change.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm

contakt321 wrote:
Geezus wrote:

It's funny, I agree with both Hambone and Geezus.

The reality is SOME kids hear all the gun, money, gangbang, talk, etc and truly believe that is the way to behave and that is entirely depressing to me.

On the other hand, preachy is FREQUENTLY (not always) boring.

I agree that commercial rap is nearly a parody of itself at this point. In a sense, it's becoming less commercially viable/successful as electronic and rock have taken mainstage in pop culture. I wonder how and when rap will reinvent itself.

There is always talk about how people wish for rappers to talk about real life stuff, but the history of rap is that it has OFTEN been aspirational and escapist. I wonder how or if that will ever change.
i liked it in the old days when rap told funny stories or hyped the DJ and the party, before it got all gangster or political.

But hip hop is reinventing itself through other genres. A lot of experimental electronic draws on hip hop, the obvious examples being glitch hop productions like Glitch Mob, Tipper's "Tip Hop" album, Funkstorung, etc., but even more avante garde producers like autechre, squarepusher, aphex twin, and the like have made some really out there hip hop influenced beats that are light years ahead of what the hip hop community is doing. Other stuff like trip hop, downtempo, and mushroom jazz also do their thing with hip hop as well. Its just not really happening WITHIN the hip hop community. Actually, a lot of the hip hop community around here migrated to DNB years ago, and they have now migrated again to dubstep and grime. things evolve to other things. hip hop used to be disco/funk records looped at the breaks. shit moves on