GM Midi Files...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Warminstrel

GM Midi Files...

Post by Warminstrel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Just a quick question that sort of 'popped' into my head this afternoon....

When I've imported GM midi files into live to use maybe a bassline or whatever, obviously It only recognises the midi notes and doesn't allocate a GM instrument like say Cubase or Sonar would.

The thing is though, if I then put in a vst of my own choice it seems to overide any preset i change to once i press play.

This leads me to belive that there must be a midi command in the midi files/stems affecting the preset as it would for a standard GM player but I'm buggered if I can find it.

Anyone a bit more midi/tech savvy than me be able to point me in the right direction?

I've even copy/pasted the notes only into a new clip and get the same problem.

I have searched the web and even asked a passing wise old owl but alas have to open myslef to the possible wrath of the Ableton Forum to get an answer.....

laird

Re: GM Midi Files...

Post by laird » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Warminstrel wrote:
This leads me to belive that there must be a midi command in the midi files/stems affecting the preset as it would for a standard GM player but I'm buggered if I can find it.
You are correct, there is a single blip of data on MIDI CC#0 for each instrument (except drums)

It can be hard to see, usually being all the way to the left, which is often right where the edge of the window is. You have to either delete this data, or overwrite it.

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 pm

sweet, thanks muchly.

:)