Beats/Breaks/Metal

Share your tracks with other users.
sunaivod

Beats/Breaks/Metal

Post by sunaivod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Hey peepz

I want to improve the sound, make it fatter, better.
Do you guys have some advice on my mix-sound? Balance?

Or just you're opinion, i'm curious.

http://soundcloud.com/sunaivod/drowning-instrumental

UPDATED SOUND:

http://soundcloud.com/sunaivod/drowning ... -drumrack1

This is supposed to be a live electronic/dnb/metal band
(backup-drums, live guitars/vocals, dj'ing) Thanks for your time.
Last edited by sunaivod on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 pm

sucks? :P

Abreaktor

Post by Abreaktor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm

i cannot say anything about how to make guitars fat, but i liked the combination of breaks and guitar. jm2c!

abort

Post by abort » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Sounds like you know what to do already!

Maybe bring down the top end, and round the kick past 100hz, ..push up the mid range on the guitar ..slap a bit reducer on it to get it crunchier. 8)

man I would love to find a guitar player! ...its taking my left hand too long to learn it myself.

Your track rocks!

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Abreaktor wrote:i cannot say anything about how to make guitars fat, but i liked the combination of breaks and guitar. jm2c!
Cool :)

Sounds like you know what to do already!

Maybe bring down the top end, and round the kick past 100hz, ..push up the mid range on the guitar ..slap a bit reducer on it to get it crunchier. Cool

man I would love to find a guitar player! ...its taking my left hand too long to learn it myself.

Your track rocks!
Thanks! Appreciate you're advice and I think you're right :)
I shall try it and post result

I want the bass to be more more present in the mix,
but it gets drowned then (tried a lot of eq'ing).

I think i'll try sidechaning the bass with kick.

And I'm always openminded for recording guitar for other people.
So give me a beat ;)

CheerZ mates.

lewsor

Post by lewsor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm

dude that is pretty cool!, but i would say a tiny bit messy in the mix.

I think there are too much treble elements overlapping each others, specially hithats/cymbals with the ambient sounds and the guitar high pitch sounds It doesn't sounds right.

We can't hear a bass line, which makes it a lot more industrial (which might be the purpose) but this is the kind of stuff that would take have lot more impact with decent bass. The fact it has too much high pitch element will make it tiring to listen.
The guitar sounds good to me. add a tiny bit of reverb to it.

Try a side chain for the bass or else when the kick is coming just remove the bass, that works well also. Or if you are lazy to create a bass line, duplicate the guitar part and apply a strong low pass filter to it with a strong compression (ideally without the distortion).

Appart from this the composition is pretty cool and with vocals it would be wicked!

abort

Post by abort » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:17 pm

naa I don't think side chaining "bass" would be necessary, at least not 1st priority ..kinda a club thing side chaining bass.

If I'm wrong please let me know, because I don't really know.

anyway!

Teeter that EQ rack and post back! :D

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm

Man, I appreciate these advices, love this forum.
I'll try out all you're advices.

I know the bass is a problem and the high end, I'm in a learning curve
Working on it tomorrow!

CheerZ

maxbeats

Post by maxbeats » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am

sick...nice complexity! could you add some low end boost to some of your synths for some bottom-end?
Anybody from Baltimore working on Ableton? Contact me...

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Guys,

I followed some advices..

But it was very difficult to let the bassguitar sound good (downpitched my guitar and eq'd it a lot)

I'm still not satisfied though, but will still workin on it, let me know what u think

http://soundcloud.com/sunaivod/drowning ... -drumrack1

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

so let me know :D

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:18 pm

No criticism here as I'm listening through laptop speakers. Just saying it sounds freaking great! Nice work. 8)

abort

Post by abort » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Well, still kinda sounds top heavy. But you know ..this might sound good on standard speaker system though. Its really hard telling because I can't see it through a scope. I wonder what would happen if you stuck a sub bass synth in the background just playing off 2 or 3 bass notes.

BUT see all these small details wouldn't be so critical if you added vocals. Most all of us were vary much impressed as is. Dam I wish I could have some of what you got : )

All dressed up but no where to go without those lyrics man!

peace!

lewsor

Post by lewsor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 pm

i think it gets better already, but i would say now there is a tiny bit too much bass, and as result it loses impact, it makes it softer, less punchy, more round. Just a little bit less and that would be perfect.

I would try also to double the snare with something which makes less clack clack, and more pschh, like a 909 snare compressed with a little distortion or something to add real punch to the snare. It will make it sounds more big beat than metal but personally i prefer the phat beats!

I would say there are still too much hit hat/cymbals overlapping each others, simplifying them, try to not trigger lots at the same time i think might make the stuff a bit less messier.

Add a bit reverb to the guitar parts to make it sounds bigger, and try to use the same reverb in send for the kick and snare and bass, that will glue all the elements together.

just an idea, at 24 seconds maybe remove the bass of the right guitar make it sounds 'weaker' to make contrast with the big phat main riff.

It is just my humble opinion. Still it is pretty catchy track, add some good vocals and you got a hit!

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 am

lewsor wrote:i think it gets better already, but i would say now there is a tiny bit too much bass, and as result it loses impact, it makes it softer, less punchy, more round. Just a little bit less and that would be perfect.

I would try also to double the snare with something which makes less clack clack, and more pschh, like a 909 snare compressed with a little distortion or something to add real punch to the snare. It will make it sounds more big beat than metal but personally i prefer the phat beats!

I would say there are still too much hit hat/cymbals overlapping each others, simplifying them, try to not trigger lots at the same time i think might make the stuff a bit less messier.

Add a bit reverb to the guitar parts to make it sounds bigger, and try to use the same reverb in send for the kick and snare and bass, that will glue all the elements together.

just an idea, at 24 seconds maybe remove the bass of the right guitar make it sounds 'weaker' to make contrast with the big phat main riff.

It is just my humble opinion. Still it is pretty catchy track, add some good vocals and you got a hit!

I think I'm re-do all the eq'ing on the beats/guitars, render it and put izotope on the rendered track and tweak it better. I'll do Less bass, more reverb and more in you're face :P

It's hard to balance the junglebeat (highsounds) with the 'phat' beat. But I'm learning.

We've done some improvisation vocals on it (just 2 parts in the song) last weekend, I'll post it later with all the handy advices.

LATER!