Launch scene that fades in before the beat

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ngermick

Launch scene that fades in before the beat

Post by ngermick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 am

This may be a newbie question, but I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to launch a clip as part of a scene change that includes a fade in or pick up note that starts before the beat. Like a bassline that slides in or a pad that fades in. I want to have a scene launch on the beat, but i'd like certain clips to start playing back slightly before the 1.

pepezabala

Re: Launch scene that fades in before the beat

Post by pepezabala » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:52 am

ngermick wrote: I want to have a scene launch on the beat, but i'd like certain clips to start playing back slightly before the 1.
Then you have to trigger them before the 1. You need to create a scene for the last bar (or so) of the first part, and trgger that one on time. Usually it's helpful to just delete the stop buttons on all channels that continue with the same pattern and add in your clips with the changes.

like that

Here in scene 2 you would have the clips on channel 4, 6 and 8 continue to play, while on 5, 7 and 9 you have the change.

ngermick

Post by ngermick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I was hoping to not need to make a whole scene for a little pick up note or slide, but this makes sense. Removing the stop buttons is a nice touch as well.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 am

you can make it more "automated" with follow actions. Then instead of empty cells without stop buttons you would fill the scene with clips, set them to "legato" and follow action "play next clip" after 1 bar. Then you only need to trigger the "fill"-scene and live will go ahead to the next scene on its own.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm almost off to the day job but i'll explain my way quickly.

Basically i just put how ever many bars of "pre roll silence" ahead of the drums.

When the scene is launched the clip you want to hear starts as normal and after the "pre roll silence" the drum clip starts playing and is looped so it keeps playing.

If we're on the same page here .....No need for 2 scenes.

I'll post some pics later this evening of an example of the type of clip i'm referring to.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:34 pm

in clip view you can set the start flag, the start loop flag, and the end loop flag.

set the loop markers as usual but put the start marker at the start of 'the bass slide in' or whatever. also look up 'legato' clip launch mode.

when you have to resort to trickery in session view, it might be a sign to bounce to a new clip or move to arrange view.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz