How To Warp A Whole Track - The Movie...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mettkea

Post by mettkea » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:52 pm

Wow thanks for the video, you just saved me a lot of work!!!

robert_philp

Post by robert_philp » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:31 am

So has anyone had much luck with this method or established any more guidelines for success?

I had a very quick try earlier, and my first attempts where useless, couldn't sort 2 records to sync at all!

Someone mentioned that precisely establishing the BPM of the track before warping is of great help - i merely rounded to nearest whole BPM which was probably a mistake.

robert_philp

Post by robert_philp » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:48 am

OK just had another play and i think i've got it nailed, i was making a daft mistake but it all became clear so i thought i'd pass this on in case it helps anyone.

Establish the BPM to within a .1 if possible, i tap-tempo'd (on a webpage BPM counter i found - http://www.b-boys.com/beatcounter.html )

Drag first warp marker to first clear beat or transient.

Go right to the end of the song, and find one of the last few beats/transients.

With either another track or the metronome playing you can hear if it is sync or not after a few bars.

Grab that nearest warp marker to one of theose last transients in the track and drag to the start of the transient. if the tempo is still out, then drag to next or previous transients, you will notice quickly if it gets better or worse. Soon as you find the right one it will be very obvious.

I tried this on 3 tracks, 2 breakbeat and 1 house. I only had to do the start and end on 2, and on the third a single extra adjustment right in the midle of the track was needed, but only for a small imperfection.

I can now instantly beat match these 3 tracks together perfectly, and i let them run for several minutes and it stayed spot-on.

Welcome to the future kids :D

Tania Mann

Post by Tania Mann » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:19 am

Bruce

What a fantastic video. I wish I'd seen this before I'd already spent hours playing around trying to master warping.

Top marks to you taking the time to create this video - I certainly appreciate your efforts so thanks.

I agree with other comments that this should form part of the tutorials in Live

Thanks again

pax

Post by pax » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:16 pm

Yeah, likewise... I think this should be a sticky.

It's the practical "This is how to start using Live" tutorials that always help the most.

m2w

Post by m2w » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:33 am

Jobs a good en! :wink:

pmestrez

yes... but

Post by pmestrez » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:28 pm

Yes it's nice but i think the more you add warp marker more Live process core will change the speed during the whole track.

I only use 2 marker, one in the beginning and one in the end.

So, It is only one interpolation for the whole track and if the track have some small tempo variation (like on old analog sequencer) you still have the right bpm in the end.

Pierre.

sickpuppy

Post by sickpuppy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:53 pm

none of this takes into account tracks that have tempo changes, or slowdowns etc which are a whole different kettle of fish :)
SickPuppy
www.sickmusic.eclipse.co.uk

Win XP Pro, Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB 3200 DDR, NVIDIA Soundstorm, Geforce 6800GT, 1 x PATA 111GB, 2 x SATA 111GB, evolution MK-225C, evolution X-Session

pax

Post by pax » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:23 pm

true, though you have to start somewhere.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:40 pm

sickpuppy wrote:none of this takes into account tracks that have tempo changes, or slowdowns etc which are a whole different kettle of fish :)

ok i'm waiting in suspense, so what is the way to do this???

benthomas1977

Post by benthomas1977 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:22 am

I would pay money for a cd full of flash videos like that... How long did that take?

thansk alot!

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:39 pm

Bruce,

Thanks so much for the time and effort spent to contribute to the community here! I appreciate the visual demonstration of Chris' warping methodology, no doubt!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:08 pm

starving student wrote:
sickpuppy wrote:none of this takes into account tracks that have tempo changes, or slowdowns etc which are a whole different kettle of fish :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one. :wink:

sickpuppy

Post by sickpuppy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:55 pm

starving student wrote:

Well, it depends what you want to do and the track you are working with.

If it's an original bpm/-/slowdown/-/back to original bpm track(Lil Louis - French Kiss for example), you can pretty much use the method in the video but you need to get the first part before the slowdown spot on so that you can find the correct downbeat when the original tempo comes back in. This means that the slowdown will run as it was intended and not be sped up to the main bpm when you play the track.

For a track that has more tempo changes, or changes and stays there (think classical) then you are probably best off splitting the track into sections and warping these individually.

Of course, if you have a track with a gradual slowdown, warping the slowdown so that it does follow the main bpm may have an interesting effect or give a track a completely different feel depending on how it was originally recorded.
SickPuppy
www.sickmusic.eclipse.co.uk

Win XP Pro, Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB 3200 DDR, NVIDIA Soundstorm, Geforce 6800GT, 1 x PATA 111GB, 2 x SATA 111GB, evolution MK-225C, evolution X-Session

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:15 am

Or DONT warp the section in Lil Louis French Kiss.

Ive never heard anyone EVER mix another track over the slowed down.speed up section of that track anyway. regardless of warp method used none of them would make warping that track any easier.