making a huge arp in live- is this possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rpc9943

making a huge arp in live- is this possible?

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:17 am

hey im just jamming along with some synth in live lite, and i am wondering... hummm.... would it be possible to set some clips to play what theyre playing transposed based on what midi keys i hit? im sure i could simply copy the clips and transpose each one and map them to my keyboard, but is there any other way, say to do it... live?

RonC

xherv

Post by xherv » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:27 am

You can map a parameter to a range of MIDI keys by holding two MIDI keys in map mode. So you could put a pitch plug before the arp, map it to c2->c3, and the range to 13 steps.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

oh my god this is phenomenal. and so easy. god i cant wait for paypal to come through so i can upgrade... this is amazing thank you for the simple answer i needed. i hope it helps other users too

RonC

condra

Post by condra » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:58 am

xherv wrote:You can map a parameter to a range of MIDI keys by holding two MIDI keys in map mode. So you could put a pitch plug before the arp, map it to c2->c3, and the range to 13 steps.
Thanks for the tip

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:47 am

oh man! i didn't think this was possible! you have made my life! i know, i know. lame life.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:59 am

as a musician he just blew my mind- from what i thought was cool to have a session mode and things like that is why i am going to buy this... but with every turn i make, people tell me tips that make every single vst and live device a million times more useful, and far more exciting than i could ever imagine... so in many ways, coming from a creative, to find such a tool that can blossom into countless possibilities so easily.... THANK YOU

my question now is this- is there a way to make a dummy clip that can output my single midi mapped pitch transposer into multiple vst/instrument tracks with this single pitch controller?

if so........ ohhhh my god :)

RonC

xherv

Post by xherv » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am

rpc9943 wrote:
my question now is this- is there a way to make a dummy clip that can output my single midi mapped pitch transposer into multiple vst/instrument tracks with this single pitch controller?

RonC
Easy part (you may have gotten this already):
You can just map the pitch controls several times over, once per track. It's not magically easy but it should work.

Hard part:
To put the pitch changes on a dummy clip is a little trickier. At the moment you need to route the MIDI out of Live and back in. There are a fair number of utilities that essentially function as dummy MIDI devices (Bomes, MidiOx iirc), or OS X's IAC that are good for this. Everyone's hoping Max for Live makes this kind of thing much clearer and easier, as it's really a fairly frequent kind of request.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:18 am

that kind of sucks. the reason i wished for a dummy track to be able to do it is if i wanted to work on a clip on one of the synths again i would simply arm it and record other notes, and then go back to arming the dummy track and continuing transposing..

so theres really no way to rout midi within live like that? i am a little bit disappointed to hear that.... but surprised at yr simple beautiful answer before :)

RoNC

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 pm

this 'arp large enough for you?

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 pm

lol nice find, i love those steps!

rpc9943

Re: making a huge arp in live- is this possible?

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm wondering if there are any vst's that operate in this manner... out of curiosity. I'm checking out WOK's CLOCKWOrK, and CK pattern arp plus, but it's not really doing this. I am wondering because perhaps there would be a way to do this without using clips... something "plug n play"...

plus hoping this bump will bring that awesome tip to those who may not be aware of it!
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

Jekblad

Re: making a huge arp in live- is this possible?

Post by Jekblad » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

and put a scale plugin at the end of that for happy times

I see this is an old thread, but there are a few monster arp/seq type plugs. Try consequence
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent