korg nano's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Yup, nanos have replaced most of my other more expensive controllers.

It's great having 2 nanoKontrols for a total of 36 faders/knobs. No more bank select.

Say, has anyone gotten Arm Record to work using the buttons? Can't seem to get mine to work properly. Keep having to press the button twice. I know there's some other controllers that had this same issue, but fix involved sending MIDI note on/off messages - which the nanos can't do....?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:06 pm

I've got the arm record buttons to work--- I think it is setting them to hold/toggle mode that does it.

Heiko

Post by Heiko » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:09 pm

download the midi editor from the Korg site
then in the editor switch the buttons to 'toggle'
have a nice time!
http://www.heikodijker.com
http://www.indianmusiccircle.com
Instead of thinking of Things you have to Think of Possibilities

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 pm

I use my nanopad to waste my time putting ads for it to sell online.

No really its so unresponsive and clunky compared to a padkontrol........

dietarypacifist

Post by dietarypacifist » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 am

damn. i was thinking about getting the nanopad soon. mainly i want the xy but it would be awesome to have a good set of trigger pads too for that price. is it really that bad?
anyone else have the nanopad? good or bad experiences with it?

i've got the nanokey. not a fan of it. don't see much use for it other than triggering and transposing. its kind of creatively hindering. the whole reason i wanted a midiboard was to jam out ideas on. not with the nanokey though.

probably gonna get the nanokontrol tomorrow so i don't have to turn away from my monitors to mix on my oxygen.

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 am

Well, I hope the NanoKontrol that should be arriving today is better than sunrahrahrah's experience with the NanoPad.

However, I would have taken an educated guess that the NanoPad wouldn't be as nice feeling as a PadKontrol. Look at the price difference.

dietarypacifist - the NanoPad and NanoKey seem to get mixed reviews everywhere. I think it comes down to what your expectations are for a device of that type and price.

Even though I've seen negative reviews I am going to try them. They aren't that expensive to worry about the money, and my expectation is that they will be better than entering notes with the QWERTY keyboard :D

I have had a PadKontrol and I am well aware the NanoPad wont be as nice. But it's the only 'pad' option at that size. Same for the Nanokey (well, there is the Ekeys 37 but that hasn't even got an octave shift on it!)

I am really hoping Korg expand the range, or it gives other companies ideas. A mini-Drehbank style controller would be fab - similar size to the NanoKontrol but with lots of knobs 8)

BTW - if it's an x/y pad you are after, I heartily recommend getting yourself a Wiimote and Wii 'classic' controller. Using the two joysticks on the classic controller to control stuff is a LOT of fun :D
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 pm

sunrahrahrah wrote:I use my nanopad to waste my time putting ads for it to sell online.

No really its so unresponsive and clunky compared to a padkontrol........

Yes, yes, yes. But there's no way that the PadKontrol is as cute as a nano.

@dietarypacifist
The nanoKontrols aren't that bad at all. They are what they are. Trying to compare them to a $200+ piece of kit is silly. As I said earlier, I use nothing but the nanos. I do live looping with instruments, so it's not like I'm having to use them every second. Maybe if I did, I'd be more down on them. But for the price, size, and weight - you can't beat them. There's no competition.

Same with the nanoKey. Man, I love mine, but I don't use it for performing. It's perfect to haul over to the local hangout or noodle with in front of the TV. I tried slugging my Prophet 08 over to the sofa in order to work on some stuff, but that didn't work out so well. :wink:

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 pm

i got a loose key on my nanokey. anyone have had this? it keeps popping off. I might have to return it and try to get a new one..

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 pm

no but my nanokey is a bit flimsy, the nano kontrol is great, for stopping the having to press the button twice, try using scene 4
House Music Made In England...
Twitter
Facebook

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 pm

mrvinyl wrote:no but my nanokey is a bit flimsy, the nano kontrol is great, for stopping the having to press the button twice, try using scene 4
No luck on Scene4, mrvinyl. Are you sending a CC or MIDI note? Anything else to try?

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 pm

kristoffer1989 wrote:i got a loose key on my nanokey. anyone have had this? it keeps popping off. I might have to return it and try to get a new one..

ah never mind. i fixed it=)

cwnc

Post by cwnc » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:52 am

Here's how I use my nanoKONTROL:

http://abletoniseasy.com/?p=6

All audio tracks set to "sends only".
Three return tracks, faders are in groups of three.
First fader controls return volume, second fader controls beat repeat length, third fader controls filter frequency.
First two buttons control track playback, second two buttons activate beat repeat, third two buttons activate LP/HP filters.

Heavily marked up with a sharpie for visual acuity.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 am

cwnc wrote:Here's how I use my nanoKONTROL:

http://abletoniseasy.com/?p=6

All audio tracks set to "sends only".
Three return tracks, faders are in groups of three.
First fader controls return volume, second fader controls beat repeat length, third fader controls filter frequency.
First two buttons control track playback, second two buttons activate beat repeat, third two buttons activate LP/HP filters.

Heavily marked up with a sharpie for visual acuity.
Very cool vid... you got a pic of your customized work to post? I'd love to see that.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

Spent some time with my new NanoKontrol last night. Loving it so far! I particularly like the way you can set attack/release times for the buttons. And the editor is nice and simple too.

Having said earlier that controlling just a few parameters is liberating, I may well add a second NK to give me a bit more flexibility. They are so small, it seems rude not to :D The BCR is going on Ebay this weekend.

Indeed, I can sit the NK on my laptop itself - it sits perfectly in front of the keyboard, across the track pad. I could sit one NK there and one in front of the laptop. Surprisingly, the little rubber feet really grip surfaces well. I was expecting it to slide all over the place!

Of course, there are some improvements I'd like to see:

1. Endless rotaries would make the different 'scenes' more useful.
2. The buttons don't 'remember' theie status when you switch scenes.
3. There is no fader/rotary 'pick up' mode as far as I can tell, meaning if you use the different scenes you get parameter jumps when you adjust controls.

I'd LOVE Korg to expand this range, though. They should start with an 18 knob, endless encoder version. With LED feedback, of course :D

And they should add a battery power option so you could plug a few of them into a passive USB hub; or provide a means of 'daisy chaining' them into one USB port.
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

bitpull

Post by bitpull » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:49 pm

3. There is no fader/rotary 'pick up' mode as far as I can tell, meaning if you use the different scenes you get parameter jumps when you adjust controls.

in live settings you have a pick up mode. or am i missing the point?

i love the nanokontrol. and i'll love it even more with nanoLive, thanks seba! (and thanks nativekontrol^^)