I'm LOVING Wordpress

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

I'm LOVING Wordpress

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 pm

I can't believe I waited this long to get www.nebulae.com hooked into a database engine. And Wordpress is just so easy to use and update. For anyone looking into a super simple content solution for your website, have a look at wordpress.org.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:46 pm

It took me a minute to wrap my head around the whole database driven website thing, but yeah, once you're rolling Wordpress rocks.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:55 pm

+1 another happy wordpress user :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Anybody know how this compares to iWeb? I figure since I'm on a Mac and it is free then I might as well use it. Plus I don't picture myself making anything fancier than the program allows.

Actually I don't how fancy you can get with either.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 pm

+1

been dong a bunch of sites with it - cuttingroomsmcr.com , babkubwa.com , tourtanzania.com

I've been thinking about buying a program called Artisteer for some time - super easy solution for starting your own theme designs.

http://www.artisteer.com

still wavering.

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Oooh! Oooh! Do you have a blog we can bore ourselves to death with???

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm

n0nce wrote:Oooh! Oooh! Do you have a blog we can bore ourselves to death with???
1. Some have interesting news like artists touring and stuff like that
2. You can do way more than bloggin with Wordpress

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:04 pm

Wordpress is amazing. I recently discovered the "Apture" plugin which allows you to insert multimedia into a post by simply clicking between paragraph breaks. When you do so, it brings up a search window that allows you to find videos, pictures, etc. across the internet and embed them nicely right onto the page. I'm super impressed with this.

- Nick
Last edited by Nick the Zombie on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm

+1 for some love for wordpress. just moved my site off blogspot to my own host. i didn't believe their "5 minute install" hype, but really i think i was up and running in about 3 minutes. it even imported all my posts and settings from blogspot. amazing stuff.

anyone have any good templates?

my wp site for anyone interested is http://www.patrickrushton.com

rasputin

I did something different with it

Post by rasputin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 pm

wordpress.org is for the serious php/sql website builder/programmer. You can't beat it for feature/power vs. price.

Me being extremely lazy and not wanting to do any programming at all, I decided to go out on a limb and try something which could have been a disaster, but I think it worked out well.

I started with a free blog on wordpress.com, and used their pay upgrade features to
- map my www.crow-caw.com domain to the blog (ccmw.wordpress.com)
- buy the extra space option which allows me to upload mp3s and get 8 GB storage. They supply an ultra-basic MP3 embedded player which is good enough for me.
- buy the custom CSS upgrade (you HAVE to do this if you want any control, really, over the way the thing looks.)
So now I actually have a more or less completely working website that I can maintain at any time from anywhere, for only US$45 a year.
To see the difference CSS makes, look at their "Sandbox-10" theme, and then look at my scheme.
The thing I didn't take into account was that I couldn't get any email through this route! But they took mercy on people like me and mail Gmail accounts available so I could get accounts named (someone) @ crow-caw.com which is working perfectly. So overall I'm quite happy.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:12 pm

I work with wordpress every day and it's amazing and it has oozes of plugins. Back the sql up every now & then and annoy yourself keeping a blog :)
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm

WP is so much fun. Been using it since the Fall. So easy.

charles9

Post by charles9 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 am

- buy the extra space option which allows me to upload mp3s and get 8 GB storage. They supply an ultra-basic MP3 embedded player which is good enough for me.
Does wordpress have paid blog hosting feature.? like to know more about it.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:40 am

any links to cool music related widgets like mp3 streamers etc? not the single player doodads, but a permanent one to stick on the main page?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:27 pm

charles9 wrote:
Does wordpress have paid blog hosting feature.? like to know more about it.
You'll have to pay for a host and register your domain. Make sure the host runs PHP5 and SQL server. Then you can easily install Wordpress into your host and go from there. It's easier than it sounds.

I use webmasters.com for my host and godaddy for my domain registrar.