What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pickle Sprocket

What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I would like some suggestions for VST's that I can purchase so that I can get as close a sound to what Reason has to offer. What synth and effect plug-ins are best?

Please list your suggestions for the closest approximations to the following.

Synths:
Thor
Subtractor
Maelström

Samplers:
NNXT
NN-19

Effects:
RV7000 Reverb
BV512 Vocoder
Scream 4

And the Redrum Drum Machine.

And what sample libraries should I purchase that have the closest content to what Reason 4 has to offer?

Thank you for your suggestions, and let me know if the built in Live devices come close to any of Reason's instruments and effects.
I taste nice.

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Why don't you just rewire reason with Ableton if you own those instruments already?
+1

...and Pickle Sprocket:

Seriously? Is it too much to lift your lame fingers over to the keyboard and try to find google? No one is going to do your research for you. Get your head out of your ass. All the info is out there, and all the demos are available. Make a f*cking effort.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Get the Live8 Suite :D
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

JJarvis

Re: What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Post by JJarvis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:15 pm

They do better in most cases. Check out operator and sampler that should keep you busy for a while. The only reason I use Reason (no pun intended) is for its remarkable stability.
Last edited by JJarvis on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Rave wrote:Why don't you just rewire reason with Ableton if you own those instruments already?
I cannot rewire Reason with Ableton because I do not own Reason. That is why I am looking for VST's that can substitute the great devices inside of Reason.
I taste nice.

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:17 pm

myxomat0515 wrote:
Why don't you just rewire reason with Ableton if you own those instruments already?
+1

...and Pickle Sprocket:

Seriously? Is it too much to lift your lame fingers over to the keyboard and try to find google? No one is going to do your research for you. Get your head out of your ass. All the info is out there, and all the demos are available. Make a f*cking effort.
Demos of what? That is what I am asking, which VST's are the best replacements?
I taste nice.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Seriously: All plugins sound somehow different.. guesss you won't find a good replacement. As suggested go ahead, try a few demos and find out what you like.

Also one should be always after new things, throwing away is often the step to a new world. I guess you can create similar sounds that you did in Reason from a lot of plugins, you just have to invest some work. There is no other way, there is no exact or near equivalent.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Pickle Sprocket wrote:
Rave wrote:Why don't you just rewire reason with Ableton if you own those instruments already?
I cannot rewire Reason with Ableton because I do not own Reason. That is why I am looking for VST's that can substitute the great devices inside of Reason.
If you want the sounds in Reason, just get Reason, the beauty of Reason is it's routing and stability. It's a perfect rewire partner for Live. You'll spend a lot of money on VSTs to cover everything in the Reason Library.

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 pm

then buy reason 4? its mutch cheaper than getting vst's to cover all the insruments..

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 pm

This is a good way to search:

http://tinyurl.com/amtznu

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm

Get the Live Suite boxed set with EIC 2 - that gets you all the bread and butter strings and pianos and guitars etc which are in Reason's Orkester and Factory Banks as used in NNXT and NN19.

Analog is equivalent to Subtractor, except with more depth if you know how to program it.

Thor is a hybrid of synths, but if you layer Operator with EIC sounds (via Simpler or Sampler) and/or Analog you can build complex sounds like that in Live. Malmstrom is a very average synth IMHO, as above just combining EIC2 sounds and Operator and/or Analog can give you great results.

Drum Racks with Drum Machines and Session drums (included in the boxed Suite) blows away Redrum.

Live has built in reverb but otherwise, there are lots of great reverbs, reason's reverb is algorithmic and no better than something like Glaceverb VST which is free. Live 8 features a cool vocoder.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm

beatpoet wrote:
Pickle Sprocket wrote:
If you want the sounds in Reason, just get Reason, the beauty of Reason is it's routing and stability. It's a perfect rewire partner for Live. You'll spend a lot of money on VSTs to cover everything in the Reason Library.
Yes, but I make much better use of my studio time using VST's and not using a rewired program, because then I have to switch screens too much. I would like to get all VST instruments and effects instead.

Maybe let's slow this down a little bit, maybe my first question was too much too ask.

How about just the synths? What are the best VST synths that compare to Reason's? I would prefer synths that look the most like Reason's, too.
I taste nice.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 pm

I am just trying to understand your question a little better, because the way it is presented, it answers itself: the way to get Reason sounds is to buy Reason. Is there some reason you need VSTs instead of ReWire? Do you have a platform issue? Do you not know how to use ReWire in Ableton? Do you think you can get a Reason-like capability for less than $399? Please help me understand.

As far as the Reason/EIC comparison, I think there is none. I own the Suite (with EIC 2) and Reason, and I find myself using almost all reason instruments. To my ear, the Reason presets are much more dynamic and compelling; The EIC presets are not. I use the EIC grand piano sample a little. It is better than Reason's.

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Kilroy wrote:I am just trying to understand your question a little better, because the way it is presented, it answers itself: the way to get Reason sounds is to buy Reason. Is there some reason you need VSTs instead of ReWire? Do you have a platform issue? Do you not know how to use ReWire in Ableton? Do you think you can get a Reason-like capability for less than $399? Please help me understand.

As far as the Reason/EIC comparison, I think there is none. I own the Suite (with EIC 2) and Reason, and I find myself using almost all reason instruments. To my ear, the Reason presets are much more dynamic and compelling; The EIC presets are not. I use the EIC grand piano sample a little. It is better than Reason's.
Yes, but I cannot use Reason for private issues, so I will have to use VST's. I also work much better using VST's. As far as Ableton instruments go, they might sound OK, but they don't look anything like the instruments in Reason and would like to use plug-ins with more realistic looking user interfaces like Reason's.
I taste nice.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

please tell me you're a chick, then this thread might make sense.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz