What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:49 pm

all subjective.

I think the individual strings are better in Reason and the electric pianos (Electric though has the best EPs) , otherwise they sound pretty much the same. EIC's woodwinds (esp flute) sound better to me. And you can always rack 'em up. There are more choir voices in EIC too.

Again, all subjective.

I would recommend getting Zebra or Massive if you like Thor, as both are very powerful synths and offer more than one mode of synthesis.

If you like Reason stuff so much though, just use Reason. Export your audio (or audio loops) and tweak it in Live if you don't like rewire.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:53 pm

ask questions like what is your favorite subtractive synth (subtractor) and then the nerds won't bite you :wink:

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:55 pm

leeds is a very quiet man, take his advice.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:59 pm

You should get Reaktor and Tassman. Then you can build your own Thor-like creature.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 pm

There may be VST / sample libraries that have similar things to offer, it is a valid question, but you would have to also note a few points:

1. Buying Reason will most likely be cheaper than trying to buy all these components
2. Reason is not just a collection of VSTs. It is like a modular rack that you can connect together in many interesting ways

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:07 pm

oops, sorry, I took so long to reply that it seems the topic has moved on :wink:

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I dont think you can just get a set of plugins that'll give you reason in VST form, it doesn't really work like that.

For me at least, the gear i'm using pushes how I work and what I produce, I push it back the way I want it to sound, its a kind of 2-way relationship.

Its all different, it all has quirks in how it sounds, how you can route it, the way its laid out and so on.

I think your best bet is to scrap the 'clone reason into vst' plan, instead take what you like best about reason and find VSTs that do those things well.

Is it a certain sound quality or tone from some of the synths?

The way subtractor is laid out?

The library of some of the samplers?

ETC

Then when you know what you like to work with and why, find VSTs that are unique and instruments in themselves, but strong in the areas you like from reason.

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:53 pm

you could use the ableton devices while looking at pictures of real synths and samplers.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Pickle Sprocket wrote:Yes, but I cannot use Reason for private issues.
this needs explaining.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

disco judas

Post by disco judas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

The closest equivalent to malstrom is NI massive
For Thor, I would maybe say Tera 3, and the waldorf one for the wavetables

The thing is, you dont buy Reason for the soundquality, but for the concept.
The Thor mod matrix is very cool. Reason is a fantastic instrument (but also somehow frustrating, especially before you learn inside out what it is not good for, like typing parameter values) and if you have enough time, you should buy it and learn it (but is actually has quite a learning curve, as everything is happening under the hood)

Cheers

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 pm

8) yo pickles, sounds like you had your laugh and should come clean......or buy reason. :D
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 am

i think the closest thing to the sound of the instruments in Reason V4 would probably be Reason V3
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:51 am

Tone Deft wrote:
this needs explaining.
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the word 'private'. It means I will not tell it to you.

I think some of the answers here have been helpful while others have simply been mocking me. I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
I taste nice.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 am

Pickle Sprocket wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
this needs explaining.
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the word 'private'. It means I will not tell it to you.
aww c'mon, since when do you and I have secrets? :cry:
I think some of the answers here have been helpful while others have simply been mocking me. I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
Cubase sounds horrible.

why follow the mold of Reason? seek out your own sounds, go for better synths.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 am

Pickle Sprocket wrote:I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
i'm not surprised, cubase is way more pro than live :wink:
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds