NEW TO THIS!!!! :( MIDI FILE TROUBLES

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SlymmTheGoGetta

NEW TO THIS!!!! :( MIDI FILE TROUBLES

Post by SlymmTheGoGetta » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Would someone please help me get my instrumentals from iTunes and Windows Media Player into Live. The sales person at the music store explained to me (after I purchased) that it needs to be a MIDI file. What the What the?????? I've googed it and have a basic understanding of what this means.

BOTTOM LINE: How do I get my instrumentals into the program?
Obey ur ears your hearing right. Please believe the hype. She's bubblin like Sprite. Yo SLYMM is nice.

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi SlymmTheGoGetta,

welcome to the forum! You can simply move the files over by drag and drop, or locate the files in Live´s integrated browser and import them from there.
Please note though that any DRM (copy protected files) cannot be used in Live. Also, Live lite does not support any compressed audio formats, the full version and Live LE however do.

Best,
Jörg
Last edited by jok on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SlymmTheGoGetta

Post by SlymmTheGoGetta » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I try to get drag and drop them in but it says I cant. It has the circle with the line through it, you know what I mean right. The music store said it was because I have WAV files and Mp3s???? They said Life only usese MIDI. How do I convert my music to MIDI.

Thanks!
Obey ur ears your hearing right. Please believe the hype. She's bubblin like Sprite. Yo SLYMM is nice.

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi SlymmTheGoGetta,

Live supports both audio and midi files. Which version of Live do you use?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SlymmTheGoGetta

Post by SlymmTheGoGetta » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Ableton Live Lite 7. It was bundled with the package I purchased: M-Audio MobilePre USB.

jok

Post by jok » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi SlymmTheGoGetta,

like I wrote in my previous post, Live lite does not feature MP3 import. You´ll need to convert the files to WAVs in order to use them with Live lite.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SlymmTheGoGetta

Post by SlymmTheGoGetta » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:07 pm

How do you convert to WAV? I believe that is what my file are in. They are in Windows Media Player.

Thanks!

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:50 pm

they are probably in .WMA format.

do a friggin google search and figure out how to convert them

i promise its not that hard......then go slap whoever sold you live lite 7 b/c they are worthless and full of shit
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

SlymmTheGoGetta

Cheers

Post by SlymmTheGoGetta » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:54 pm

You need to find whatever is in your heart that is so ugly and remove it so you can be a happier person. It will make you a better. Thank you for the advice. But I don't think I'm going to go to the store a slap the salesman. He was actually nice, and has helped me. I'm recording now.

Have a better day.

som[e]

Post by som[e] » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:22 pm

You're wavs may not work either if they are lower than 8 bit. You can download audacity for free, open up your 4 bit wavs, and save them again as 16 bit wavs (i suspect the 12 bits are just left empty). then you can import them into Ableton. I suggest that salesperson be re-educated on the file type support of ableton. violently or not is your choice.