new korg microkontrol - with full size keys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steved

new korg microkontrol - with full size keys

Post by steved » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:27 pm

Looks lke a new 4 octave korg microkontrol - the " korg kontrol 49" - appears to have full size keys - they certainly are bigger than the originals. 399.99 euro rrp.

http://www.gearjunkies.com/product_info ... 215b7ffa0f

Looks like the original pads, faders etc with a larger keyboard bolted on. Could be good - but any prospective purchasers should read my post about the rotary encoders behaving like absolute ones.
Nocturn early adopter ....

steved

Post by steved » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:36 pm

no comments about this .... ? I'm surprised - with all you control freaks out there. People often talk about the mini keys being unplayable - well this looks like a move in the right direction at least.
Nocturn early adopter ....

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:48 pm

I wanted to buy it , thanks gods I dint get it from internet, in reality it is not even ajoke, these keys are not worth 40$, but with real keys it is different story, anyway I just made a steal on Ebay, got Remote25 for 223 Euro including shipment.

milka

Post by milka » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:41 am

Hi, could not find anything about Korg Kontrol49 on the Korg.com ...
Is this controller out yet?
and how are the pads in real use on the mictroKontrol?
...i am mainly interested in those pads for use with impulse instead of keabord keys or computer keyboard.

stuart64

Post by stuart64 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:11 pm

I use the microkontrol with ableton, it's great. I can have to ableton drum machines on the pads, or use them to trigger loops in ableton wjilst playing tune or triggering more samples. I'd recommend one.

Stuart

www.reporter.com

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:39 pm

milka wrote:Hi, could not find anything about Korg Kontrol49 on the Korg.com ...
Is this controller out yet?
and how are the pads in real use on the mictroKontrol?
...i am mainly interested in those pads for use with impulse instead of keabord keys or computer keyboard.

The pads are great. Better than the Akai MPD 16 pads (but not as spongy as the MPC series)

Good kit.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 am

You have to be fucking kidding me! Did I step off into some alternate reality in the multiverse? I love my current microKontrol except for the range and key size. Somebody slap me I am dreaming.

Anybody want to buy a microKontrol? :P

milka

Post by milka » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:59 am

thanks for replies , i like to get microKontrol
but now that i've heard of a bigger keys model...is it out yet in europe, saw it on japaneese sites... or should i forget about it and get the smaller one??

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:20 am

milka wrote:Hi, could not find anything about Korg Kontrol49 on the Korg.com
It is only available in Japan right now.

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Synthesizer/KONTROL49/
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:14 am

So are the pads really as good as Akai`s ? I need something for percussion, piano keys are limited, you cant do tremolos , rolls. The fullsize keys version should be in the stores from Tuesday in USA ( received Email today). Since nobody really knows when Novation 49/61 comes I will grab the Korg. The Remote25- 2 octave keyboard sucks for music, unless used for trigerring things but there is is nothing i could actually use it, even for bass line, great controller otherwise.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:42 am

rikhyray wrote:So are the pads really as good as Akai`s ?
Most say the pads on the Korg are stiff at first and you need to break them in. The MPD-16 has decent reviews but like the Korg it's split 50/50. I know the MPD-16 has 2 banks of 16, so you can trigger up to 32 different drum samples. It also has a "full level" setting so regardless of how hard you press a pad it will trigger at the highest velocity so you don't have to go back and re-edit all the mis-matched volume levels.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:54 pm

That's pretty damn cool.

However, I have a Remote 25 and a MPD-16. I would love to have an extra octave or two with the Korg, and haul around one less piece of gear.

BUT, considering what I paid for my current controllers, which work perfectly BTW, I can't justifying selling them both at a loss to get the Korg.

Plus, the pads on the MPD-16 are bigger than on the old MicroKontrol. I can't say for this new one, though...

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:55 pm

MarkH wrote:
It also has a "full level" setting so regardless of how hard you press a pad it will trigger at the highest velocity so you don't have to go back and re-edit all the mis-matched volume levels.
group editing velocity is easy in Live. just select the velocity markers and drag them up to full level. you can then leave em full (like with the MPD) or decrease em all to the same level.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:50 pm

louZ wrote:
MarkH wrote:
It also has a "full level" setting so regardless of how hard you press a pad it will trigger at the highest velocity so you don't have to go back and re-edit all the mis-matched volume levels.
group editing velocity is easy in Live. just select the velocity markers and drag them up to full level. you can then leave em full (like with the MPD) or decrease em all to the same level.
-Or just use a velocity effect in front of the instrument! Getting fixed velocities requires just one mouseclick.

louZ

Post by louZ » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:37 am

so, any news about when these will be available?