Battery 3 vs Drum Racks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Alextronica

Battery 3 vs Drum Racks

Post by Alextronica » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Im hoping to hear some banter about making Drums Tracks in Live!

I tried to use Battery 3 for every track but found it was just making things slow on my computer.

I think I know about "Freezing Tracks" though I dont have much experience with it, I was hoping to do that after I get into designing a bit more of the song.

So my next idea was to use Drum Racks with Battery Samples but man that alot of Samples! and alot of the same sample saved in Different kits!

So I thinking Drum Rack might be the solution but I cant find a feature called "Grouping" in Battery 3. Its where one sample will stop the next sample for like Hi Hat Sounds. Impulse has it but only two samples at a time.

I found in Drum Racks you can easily stack sample in one Midi note buy putting an Instrument Rack in each Midi Note of the Drum Rack.

But I found Battery 3 has a Mapping Function where a Midi Note sending a lower CC will trigger a softer Sample and a MIDI Note with a higher CC will trigger a harder Sample. The Sample Library of B3 reflect this by having alot of Samples of Softer Kicks for example. But Im stacking drum hits for making a powerful sound so Do I even need those softer Kick Samples or Can I trash them to save space.

What do you guys do?

Im just wondering if I working into a wall by spending time reorganizing my Battery 3 library and using it in Drum Racks with Simpler.

Thank in advance for all the opinions!
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

lol...

just use 1 instance of battery and several audio tracks... check out "audio in" window.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 am

Holy @#$% !

Zygi

You are my New Favorite Hero!

Thanks, I owe you a beer at least!

ÆX
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

I have also been thinking about which is better.
I've noticed that just one instance of Battery "bogs" down live.
Also, why spend the money on Battery when you have Drum Racks (DR)? If you really like the samples-which I admit, they are nice! Then, just purchase the samples and take a day to make the kits you want.
But I think at the end of the day, it comes down to which you have more expirience using.
Or maybe there are some features that you like on Battery that are not on DR.
For me, DR are better because you can add any FX to the chain on a pad and with the groove pools on the way..... :lol:
But, there is a way to cut off samples like hi hats in DR.
Its a feature called choke groups on page 227 of the manual.

Drfish

Post by Drfish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 pm

In Drum Racks you can use chains so that when you hit a note with a low velocity it'll trigger a soft note and when you hit it hard it'll trigger a hard note. Check the manual for how to do this.

And Yes in Drum Racks you can make a sound cut of another by assigning all the sounds you want e.g. all the hats to a choke group. Really easy and takes a couple of seconds!

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Ahh nice so much to learn

I've got the same experience as yall and Im just wondering what yall do.

I knew posting this here might open a can of worms

"Less Filling!, Tastes Great!" type of thing.

Back to the book! Thanks again to y'all for the responses!

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Man

I swear these feature dont exsist until someone clues you in.

and then BAM! there it is! It's been there the whole time so why didnt I see them!

Thanks again you guys!

I having a blast!

AEX

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

I find myself turning to drumracks instead of Battery more and more lately. Organising the library is something I haven't done yet cause I'm really hoping for some kind of tagging feature to be added to live's library at some point, so won't have to move all the files to different folders. I don't really care for organising drum samples in "kits" myself. I'd rather just have a folder with all kicks, one with hihats, etc.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Alextronica wrote:Holy @#$% !

Zygi

You are my New Favorite Hero!

Thanks, I owe you a beer at least!

ÆX
My pleasure to help ya ;)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:49 pm

snakedogman wrote:I find myself turning to drumracks instead of Battery more and more lately. Organising the library is something I haven't done yet cause I'm really hoping for some kind of tagging feature to be added to live's library at some point, so won't have to move all the files to different folders. I don't really care for organising drum samples in "kits" myself. I'd rather just have a folder with all kicks, one with hihats, etc.
:o

hows that for an idea then?
+1

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:49 pm

friend_kami wrote:
snakedogman wrote:I find myself turning to drumracks instead of Battery more and more lately. Organising the library is something I haven't done yet cause I'm really hoping for some kind of tagging feature to be added to live's library at some point, so won't have to move all the files to different folders. I don't really care for organising drum samples in "kits" myself. I'd rather just have a folder with all kicks, one with hihats, etc.

+1
almost like a create alias function.

i'm down with this idea, but even this could be an organizational nightmare.... like managing the library will have missing links to files... but still

+1
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 pm

tricil wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

+1
almost like a create alias function.

i'm down with this idea, but even this could be an organizational nightmare.... like managing the library will have missing links to files... but still

+1
could be organisational hell, or it could not. alias, are we talking something like symbolic links etc? that is, you create a symbolic link called, say "omg_phat_beat_of_doom" and it points to a file called "beat_2" and then the location of this file (and filename then) is saved together with the alias? so you can just find the alias called omg_phat_beat_of_doom instead of trying to find the rather nondescriptive, or sometimes even cryptic ,called beat_2, in this case? if so, count me in.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:35 pm

I wanted to chime in and say Im doing just that

I've reworked the drum sample files into an Instrument Structure.

Man there are a ton of same sample saved over and over!

I worked it down from 16 gigs to 10 gigs thus far. Its only taken like 100 hours! Oach!

Its a pain yeah but I do like knowing my sample pool better

My plan is to use those samples in Drum Racks and Create my own personal Kicks, Snares and Hi Hats .......Right anyway

Im willing to trade for my work so lets get together and make a track.

Im planning to travel the US grass roots style this spring and summer so If you want email me and maybe we can work something out

alextronicmusic@gmail.com

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 am

<-- swedish :p

i meant count me in as in +1 on the alias feature request hehe.
aaaanyways, im currently reworking my library aswell. trying to cut down on vst useage aswell, so right now im salvaging what i can from my plugins aswell.

id much rather be in one uniformed stream lined interface, then all over the place if given the choice.
although my waves gtr aint going anywhere anytime soon heh.