Kaossilator?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm

By the way; when I look at the Kaossilator at various places, it seems to be
advertised with "loop recording" as a feature; what does this entail? Some
nay-sayers around here seem to hold the lack of a way to store your jam
sessions against this little gizmo, so what the hell is "loop recording" in this
case, anyway?

Edit: Never mind. I guess you simply erase the memory when you turn it off, right?
Korg wrote:Loop Recording accelerates your creative power

Loop Recording allows you to record a phrase with a specified number of beats (maximum 8 beats = 2 measures), and play it back endlessly. For example you can record a phrase using a synth-lead sound, and then layer (overdub) bass or drum sounds onto it. You can build up layers of cool phrases by simply repeating this cycle of selecting, playing, and recording sounds. Building a groove was never so easy!

robotsound

Post by robotsound » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 pm

sporkles: those are all toys to you because you cant get anything done with them?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm

robotsound wrote:sporkles: those are all toys to you because you cant get anything done with them?
Nope; because I'm having heaps of fun playing with them.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:57 am

TD, did you ever end up getting this thing? Thoughts?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 pm

it's a toy.

a really fun toy.

no midi sync? doesn't matter, just match bpms and quantize record into Live.

it's great for mental exercise with music. I've very hung up on the whole "it's not good enough to finish" thing, but I've made a lot of little tunes on it and then just let them go, no judgment necessary, it feels good.

it's VERY playable. there's a scale and key setting, so you can play with voicings, I like Db Aelion. I could totally see jamming on it with real musicians. the flute is probably the most musical patch. just about all the patches are usable, one or two are annoying (there's one that sounds exactly like Pac Man, funny but annoying), some have wicked self oscillating filters.

the thing about the youtube jams are the buildups and teardowns. when you save or 'clear' unsaved music, all the music stops but you can solo 1 instrument and then hit play once the save/clear is over. ('saved' music is erased when you turn it off.) that's fun, as well as the obligatory halving the time in half until you get the 'FatBoy' whine.

only drawback is a 5 hour battery life so I bought some rechargeables.

there are 100 presets, 10 drums, 10 drum patterns, 80 others, enough to memorize, in time. no regrets on buying it, if I lost it I'd replace it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's a toy.

a really fun toy.

it's great for mental exercise with music. I've very hung up on the whole "it's not good enough to finish" thing, but I've made a lot of little tunes on it and then just let them go, no judgment necessary, it feels good.

it's VERY playable. there's a scale and key setting, so you can play with voicings, I like Db Aelion. I could totally see jamming on it with real musicians. the flute is probably the most musical patch. just about all the patches are usable, one or two are annoying (there's one that sounds exactly like Pac Man, funny but annoying), some have wicked self oscillating filters.

the thing about the youtube jams are the buildups and teardowns. when you save or 'clear' unsaved music, all the music stops but you can solo 1 instrument and then hit play once the save/clear is over. ('saved' music is erased when you turn it off.) that's fun, as well as the obligatory halving the time in half until you get the 'FatBoy' whine.

only drawback is a 5 hour battery life so I bought some rechargeables.

there are 100 presets, 10 drums, 10 drum patterns, 80 others, enough to memorize, in time. no regrets on buying it, if I lost it I'd replace it.
Ah, thanks for the great little review. I too suddenly find myself with a little pocket gadget change, and was thinking about picking one up. I think you're review just cinched the deal. :P

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm

this beat is only kaossilatorsounds sampled with the efx on a sp-404 and then arranged with the limited patternsequencer inside the sampler.

I WANT A KAOSSILATOR TO MAKE KAOSSSOUNDS WITH MAD EFX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZFMY2xB ... annel_page

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 am

Tone Deft wrote:a really fun toy.

i have to agree with what you say here Deft, it's kind of good having a limited machine and pushing it as far as you can without expecting too much. i've been shocked how much i can get out of the korg ds10 and been having a ball with it on the bus :D !! i can't wait to get some homebrew stuff on it as well...

also, i saw you ask earlier about the mic input on the ds and i've been wondering about that too - seems like no ones hacked it yet but hardware wise it's only a simple two pin connection next to the headphone jack. can't imagine it'd be too difficult to rig a plug that'd let you run a dynamic mic maybe? in time i might try that out too...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm

what i would want to do with a kaossilator is to make mean and nasty sounds. Distorted and compressed like fuck. If you want it to sound like a minimoog you will be dissapointed anyways. See the potensial =)