ALTIVEC please - LIVE 2 performanse is more than crap !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:43 am

Hi, all.

First I have to say sorry for the slow beta. I forgot to remove some not needed code. So don't worry, the next beta will be at least as fast as 1.5 but probably a bit faster.

To your Altivec postings. It's not that we don't wanna do this. It's just not doable in some days. Like I wrote already on other places here in the forum we are planning to do bigger performance boosts in the next release. But before we can do good altivec optimisations we have to rewrite some parts of the code. This will already boost the performance on both platforms. We will see if we have enough time to do altivec optimisation also in this release, I cannot promise.

So please believe me. We all at ableton are with you. We also suffer on the slow performance on macs relativ to pcs. But again, it is just not a quick and easy job. It will take a while. So please give us a little more time to do all these things. At the end - I am pretty sure - you will be more then satisfied.

Kind regards,

Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

twelve

Post by twelve » Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:03 am

Bernd wrote:Hi, all.

First I have to say sorry for the slow beta. I forgot to remove some not needed code. So don't worry, the next beta will be at least as fast as 1.5 but probably a bit faster.

To your Altivec postings. It's not that we don't wanna do this. It's just not doable in some days. Like I wrote already on other places here in the forum we are planning to do bigger performance boosts in the next release. But before we can do good altivec optimisations we have to rewrite some parts of the code. This will already boost the performance on both platforms. We will see if we have enough time to do altivec optimisation also in this release, I cannot promise.

So please believe me. We all at ableton are with you. We also suffer on the slow performance on macs relativ to pcs. But again, it is just not a quick and easy job. It will take a while. So please give us a little more time to do all these things. At the end - I am pretty sure - you will be more then satisfied.

Kind regards,

Bernd.
You Rule!

sc

Post by sc » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:11 am

Thankyou Bernd.

-SongCarver

La Pomme

Optimized for G4

Post by La Pomme » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:29 pm

Ableton:
"We also suffer on the slow performance on macs relativ to pcs. But again, it is just not a quick and easy job. It will take a while.... We will see if we have enough time to do altivec optimisation also in this release, I cannot promise. "

If I understand well, to optimize Live for G4s is... too hard.
What are you guys doing???????????
ALTIVEC SHOULD BE A TOP PRIORITY!!!!
Whatever pc users will say, mac is THE reference for pros. You wanna spit on that market????
Wanna stay a software for bedroom musicians done by bedroom managers? You sound like guys from a disorganized start-up, you know, these dotcoms which almost all bankrupted few years ago.
What about selling Ableton to Apple to get professionnal marketing strategies?

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:22 pm

La Pomme,

crossposting sucks!

La Pomme

FORMAT

Post by La Pomme » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:54 pm

Dear Format,

MBazzy would like to tell you something:

"Criticizing always is easy .... insulting even easier ... fortunately users on this forum know what manners are and are capable of voicing their concerns , even frustrations in a moderate, polite way ....

This kind of 'under the belt bashing" doesn't do anything good to the mac community here, nore does it show much maturity ..."
--------------
Think about it,
La Pomme

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:05 pm

Yawn.....

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:13 pm

Monsieur La Pomme ... if you want to quote me, than don't edit my post ...

Grow up ...

[would advise to disregard all this kind of behaviour in the future ... already spent far too many words on this ]
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

macaddled

Re: FORMAT

Post by macaddled » Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:08 pm

La Pomme wrote:Dear Format,

MBazzy would like to tell you something:

"Criticizing always is easy .... insulting even easier ... fortunately users on this forum know what manners are and are capable of voicing their concerns , even frustrations in a moderate, polite way ....

This kind of 'under the belt bashing" doesn't do anything good to the mac community here, nore does it show much maturity ..."
--------------
Think about it,
La Pomme

Leaving to one side the incredible rudeness of quoting someone else like that, you might do to follow your own advice, son. Or perhaps you can point us to your own professionally coded cross-platform app?

edit: didn't realize he had cross-posted it too. This guy isn't worth anyone's time.

monolake

Post by monolake » Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:57 pm

La Pomme,
you know what ?
I offer you to give Live back. Do not waste any more time with this bad software. And do not waste ours.

regards monolake

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:03 pm

Two unrelated things to say.

1. I'm a PC user. While I've had my problems with Live, it's been great. When comparing my results to the performance thread, my 850Mhz duron is ~700 Mhz iBook. Anyone worried about more performance than that is not worried about making music. Do something more productive with your time, bounce tracks ahead of time (which Live is really good at BTW), because you're going to have the same problems on any platform if you're not making your music correctly. I'm going to buy a Mac, and it's going to perform as well as my PC.

2. Gwar said it best. "Shit breaks, people die, it's as natural as rain on a god damned Sunday morning". I'm ultimately responsible for a 200,000 node, multi-million user network operation. From everything at my network ops center to the nodes in customers homes. The worst part about it? The product is so poorly engineered, when things break, not even the developers know how to fix it. Yet, somehow, I managed to win a JD Power award last year.

Go with the flow, do what you have to do to make your music and do your thing. I make music for myself, because it's what I like to hear -- a natural extension my creative processes. Ableton wrote Live for the same reason.

F you whining bastards.

- Mike

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:14 pm

It has already come a long way to see that Robert/Gerhard feel it necessary to intervene in this thread ... too much honour for that piece of fruit ....
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:28 pm

[quote]So please believe me. We all at ableton are with you. We also suffer on the slow performance on macs relativ to pcs. But again, it is just not a quick and easy job. It will take a while. So please give us a little more time to do all these things. At the end - I am pretty sure - you will be more then satisfied.[/quote]

Thank you!

-Alex

joshcarter

Post by joshcarter » Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:07 am

geargasm wrote:When comparing my results to the performance thread, my 850Mhz duron is ~700 Mhz iBook. Anyone worried about more performance than that is not worried about making music.
In general I'd agree, and I'm certainly not losing sleep about Live's performance. I do bounce tracks, especially those with CPU-eating effects. On my 550MHz PowerBook G4 (not exactly a speed demon) I usually don't have any problems. But consider the following:

1. Live's reverb, while fantastic, is a CPU hog. And if you're using more than a just a little verb, you can't really bounce it or your scene transitions will sound abrupt. The verb from scene A should carry over into scene B a little. The verb's CPU use could be cut hugely with Altivec optimization (or just using the OS-provided math libs).

2. I always have Reason rewired into Live and play Reason along with the pre-recorded stuff in Live. Thus the CPU has to handle both apps and all effects must be live, too. Generally speaking Reason doesn't eat much CPU unless there's a Malstrom or two in there. Effects are more the problem.

In any case, I applaud the Ableton guys for their work on Live, and doubly applaud them for Live 2. They'll get my upgrade money the day they release it. I also appreciate Bernd's post here. But I'll stick to my guns that Live should be updated for Altivec at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Best regards,
Josh

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:19 am

Two unrelated things to say....

Anyone worried about more performance than that is not worried about making music...

F you whining bastards.

- Mike
Geargasm,

I invite you to use plug-ins before you call us whining bastards and tell us to fuck off. Perhaps then you will have a little sympathy!

-Alex