APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 am

APC40

Questions

http://www.akaipro.com/apc40

First of Thanks to Akai and Jesse Terry for the above video

Im looking forward to the release of the Akai

Im don’t know about you but one my favorite things about Ableton is that everyone does it a little different. And there are no right and wrong ways!

So in that spirit I’d like to post about how I might use the APC40 when its released.

First of all before we get caught up on small things I’d like to say I don’t have one and I’ve never even touched one. Sad to say I cant even find where to download the Owners Manual on the internet!

But before we get hung up on that, I’ve been thinking and reading and watching Youtube videos and looking at all the buttons

Things look great for the studio but I like to play Live well….Live!

So I got some question which always leads to more questions so here they are.

I’d also like to begin with this quote from Akais Web page “And if you’re an advanced Live user, the APC40 gives you the ability to remap every one of its controls to suit your own style.”

So let see. First my question is this controller has more than 128 controls. I take it Akai’s not using CC messages, which is the way I know how to assign things in Ableton.

So that causes me some concern consider. I’m not into certain feature and I love other for example

I never record clips during a live set. Im not sure if I missing out but when I play live I only play clips some MIDI some Audio.

So now you say with a simple Ableton MIDI Mapping I can change the record enable buttons to the Repeat Button of the Beat Repeat Fx for each of my eight tracks.

Can I do that?

Can I assign the Cue Knob to the Grid knob of the Beat Repeat?

Can I re assign the Mute buttons to switch the A/B of the crossfader?

Which Other Buttons Can I re-assign?

Tap Tempo, Nudge or Play and Stop and Record

How about Rec Quantize MIDI Overdub or Metronome?

I like the Clip/Track Button and Device on and off and the <- and -> Keys so I probally keep those.

Do the <--> buttons only work in the FX rack area? Like do it flash to your high light to the FX rack or say you high light the loop in the Clip Specifically the Transpose knob? Do the <--> button work like the computer Keyboard?

Im thinking that the Shift and the Bank buttons are the only Button on the APC that cannot be assigned.

I assume you cant re-assign the Pan and Sends Button either

Is that right?

But how about reassigning the Pans to be a Lowpass Filter

My next question is about the 64 Fx knobs.

Is that just 64 knobs per track , 8 sets of eight that can be recalled with the Shift and 1-8 Buttons. Maybe more knob than 64 if you use the <--> buttons?

Im assuming the later and also 64 Knobs for the Master Track!

I like that!

So did I pass? I am I ready to rock the APC40 as soon as I can get my hands on one?

Again Akai and Jesse Terry Thanks so much in advance for you time.

Peace

ÆX

alextronicmusic@gmail.com
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 am

Alextronica wrote:First my question is this controller has more than 128 controls. I take it Akai’s not using CC messages, which is the way I know how to assign things in Ableton.
Midi channels? 16 of them.

I think you just override the instant mappings like with any other controller - cmd/ctrl+m.

.m

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

If you copy and paste a clip into a new slot, will the APC sense this and light the appropriate pad accordingly?

Yes.

I cant even find where to download the Owners Manual on the internet!

Not finished yet ;)

First my question is this controller has more than 128 controls. I take it Akai’s not using CC messages, which is the way I know how to assign things in Ableton.

It's standard MIDI map mode if you want to custom map it. It uses CCs (there are more than 128 as you can use 16 channels of MIDI).

[edit] 8 banks of the lower encoders via parameter banking, and 4 banks of the upper 8 encoders.

110 buttons
9 faders
1 crossfader
17 endless encoders
2 footswitch jacks

>350 LEDs ;)

So now you say with a simple Ableton MIDI Mapping I can change the record enable buttons to the Repeat Button of the Beat Repeat Fx for each of my eight tracks. Can I do that?

Yes.

Can I assign the Cue Knob to the Grid knob of the Beat Repeat?

Yes.

Can I re assign the Mute buttons to switch the A/B of the crossfader?

Yes.

[edit] All of them.

Tap Tempo, Nudge or Play and Stop and Record

Yes you can remap.

How about Rec Quantize MIDI Overdub or Metronome?

Yes.

Do the <--> buttons only work in the FX rack area? Like do it flash to your high light to the FX rack or say you high light the loop in the Clip Specifically the Transpose knob? Do the <--> button work like the computer Keyboard?

We didn't have clip control functions here when clip view is selected, because sometimes you'd like to see your clip (like when coming to a transition) and still play with your delay or reverb parameters.

You can.

Yes.

My next question is about the 64 Fx knobs. Is that just 64 knobs per track , 8 sets of eight that can be recalled with the Shift and 1-8 Buttons. Maybe more knob than 64 if you use the <--> buttons?

[re-edit] 64 knobs total
Last edited by Jesse on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Void

Post by Tom Void » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Fantastic accurate information there Jesse! Thnx a bunch! Sounds like it's pretty much a "do-what-you-like" kind of controller, so it's time to rethink and plan ahead for future sets!
Now get it out on the shelves pronto! :D

hrmnk

Post by hrmnk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 pm

All but the 9 track selectors and pan/sendA/SendB/SendC I believe...need to double check though next time I'm connected. I need to double check the Shift/Arrow keys as well.

You can.

Yes.
arent you saying the opposite here?

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 am

:oops: Good catch, I read that incorrectly as pan/send knobs. But somehow I ended up being right even though I was confused 8)

I had some things wrong in my previous post: Every button on this can be used as for custom MIDI mapping. All the arrows, shift button, track selection etc. every last button can be used in Live's MIDI map mode.

But you also have some extra banks of 'hidden' controls:

-- Exiting MIDI map mode lets you use the Pan, Send A, Send B, Send C buttons as 4 banks of user mappable knobs up top (i.e. exit MIDI map mode, press the Send A button, and you have 8 more encoders you can map.)

-- For the lower 8 encoders, there are 8 banks of encoders, selectable (when not in MIDI map mode) by the shift-parameter banking. There are no different banks when using the Track Selection buttons.

I think ;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 am

Does the arrival of the APC mean that Ableton won't improve the unofficial feature that allows us to create our own custom MIDI Maps?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Jesse wrote:
-- For the lower 8 encoders, there are 8 banks of encoders, selectable (when not in MIDI map mode) by the shift-parameter banking. There are no different banks when using the Track Selection buttons.
Ok, so this is the opposite of what was said earlier in this thread, so I just want to confirm. If you're remapping things with Live's midi learn, you actually have access to all 8 banks of the lower encoders? Eariler it was said that manually mapping these means you only get those 8 controls (as opposed to 64). So you're saying you could use the first 4 banks for example as your usual instant mapping of the first 32 parameters, and then have 4 banks of assignable controls?
Professional Shark Jumper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Ooh.. Got another good one:

Is there a MIDI command in Live 8 that causes all assigned parameter values to be outputted? Just like turning MIDI Learn On/Off?

Instead of needing a 3rd party application to get more than 1 preset to work on a dumb terminal, we would get by with just a button.

EddieJ

Re: Question

Post by EddieJ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
EddieJ wrote:Will the APC 40 have a mic stand thread underneath?
I get the impression it's way too big for that.

.m

I don't think the APC40 is much bigger than the trigger finger, and the Trigger Finger has a threaded socket underneath.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 pm

EddieJ wrote:I don't think the APC40 is much bigger than the trigger finger, and the Trigger Finger has a threaded socket underneath.
The APC40 is MUCH MUCH bigger than a trigger finger. Think MPD32 and add a bit (IIRC)

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Machinate wrote:
EddieJ wrote:I don't think the APC40 is much bigger than the trigger finger, and the Trigger Finger has a threaded socket underneath.
The APC40 is MUCH MUCH bigger than a trigger finger. Think MPD32 and add a bit (IIRC)
I just measured against my trigger finger. It's only about 5" and 3" larger in each the width and depth.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 am

I can't find this information:
is it possible to use ledsbuttons to get a feedback of midi note on (for instance) ??
Last edited by julienb on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Does the arrival of the APC mean that Ableton won't improve the unofficial feature that allows us to create our own custom MIDI Maps?

Let's put it this way: the arrival of Max for Live means you'll be able to do much, much more.

If you're remapping things with Live's midi learn, you actually have access to all 8 banks of the lower encoders? Eariler it was said that manually mapping these means you only get those 8 controls (as opposed to 64). So you're saying you could use the first 4 banks for example as your usual instant mapping of the first 32 parameters, and then have 4 banks of assignable controls?

Yes, you have access to those 8 banks. I need to check regarding mixing and matching. Sorry for confusing the matter.

Is there a MIDI command in Live 8 that causes all assigned parameter values to be outputted? Just like turning MIDI Learn On/Off?

Maybe with Max for Live ? Love this tip from Dennis in the manual though:

Tip: If you have overridden the APC40’s default mappings with manual mappings, you can easily switch back to the defaults by deactivating the Remote switch of the APC40’s input port. Activating the switch again will re-establish your manual mappings.

Will the APC 40 have a mic stand thread underneath?

No

is it possible to use ledsbuttons to get a feedback of midi note on (for instance) ??

I believe with Max for Live.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Jesse wrote:Is there a MIDI command in Live 8 that causes all assigned parameter values to be outputted? Just like turning MIDI Learn On/Off?[/b]

Maybe with Max for Live ? Love this tip from Dennis in the manual though:

Tip: If you have overridden the APC40’s default mappings with manual mappings, you can easily switch back to the defaults by deactivating the Remote switch of the APC40’s input port. Activating the switch again will re-establish your manual mappings.
Neither that or the MIDI Learn buttons are MIDI Mappable which means you still need the mouse to update a controller.

Ok.. Max for Live. I've been suggesting it to a lot of people since you guys at Ableton can't really say for sure that something is impossible with Max for Live.
I tried to be proven wrong, but the best I've gotten so far is "That may be tricky".
Max for Live it is then. The answer to Live, the universe and everything...