[amo] copy/move midi notes behaviour

Bunky Freaks

[amo] copy/move midi notes behaviour

Post by Bunky Freaks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:16 pm

in live 7, one could select midi note(s), press CTRL and drag them make a floating copy, release CTRL and press ALT to fine tune their position. All this without releasing the left mouse button.

in live 8, this doesnt work anymore. one has to release the floating copy and reclick the new selection to fine adjust their position.

bug or feature? i don't know, but it was faster & more fluid before...

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 am

Sounds like same feature on a mac yes... only mac use the "option" key instead of CTRL... which is why I didn't see this thread because I was searching for "option".

Can you confirm on PC that this is still possible only by pressing CTRL after start to move a note. Only difference might be that you can't let go of CTRL... you must drop the note first, then let go of CTRL and then realign note if needed.

I'd personally like to see it work both ways. Or make it behave somewhat like the copy command in google sketchup (if anyone is familiar with that). Which works like a toggle... hit Option or CTRL once to create copy note... hit again to toggle it off.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 am

Edit: double post

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:15 pm

dextroc wrote:It's an unexpected bug:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=107942
Hi,

The bug described here is different. You may as well call it a wish, but we hope we get around it.

It's about a combination of copying and bypassing the grid. If you copy a note (provided that it works, unlike now because of the other bug, but you can try by pressing CTRL/Cmd after starting moving the note), Bunky Freaks wishes that you can press ALT while still pressing CTRL/CMD, so that it would copy the note OFF-grid. Right now, when you do so, it just cancels the copy operation, and you're left with a move operation.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Ah, I see. Well, I take it back then! :wink:
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

Amaury

Re: [amo] copy/move midi notes behaviour

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi,

A combination of copy modifier and "bypass grid" modifier should work properly in beta 21. Can you check and report back please?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Bunky Freaks

Re: [amo] copy/move midi notes behaviour

Post by Bunky Freaks » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am

this works again in B23 (like before in L7). thanks alot!