OT: faith no more

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

Chang wrote:Mike Patton doing Boston's More than a feeling?

No way.

Thats like imagining Kid Rock doing Andrea Bocelli.
Wow? That's kind of pathetic. Sorry man, but Boston were definitely not the best example of innovative music in the 70's, a decade that spawned or solidified metal, punk, industrial, new wave, prog rock, funk etc. That had epic albums like Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zepplin 4, Black Sabbath Paranoid, Kraftwerk Man Machine, and Trans Europe Express, Parliment...... I'm not even halfway there, but suffice to say on my list of great albums and bands to come from the 70's Boston isn't on there. Good band technically, but I hated their sense of composition, and on that line IMO Epic beats the crap out of More than a Feeling compositionally. Who cares how good a musician is if they can't write a song that doesn't sound like a Hallmark greeting card commercial.

FYI More than a Feeling is one of the most annoying vocal lines to me, right up there with All out of Love by Air Supply, or Open Arms by Journey. I literally get ill hearing those songs. It's all a matter of personal taste, but I find smarm a cover up for a lack of a soul.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:46 am

Chang wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:Chang if you dont get it, then you dont get it.

To even mention Pearl Jam and Limp Bizkit in comparison proves youve probably never heard a FNM album, you just remember them being around at a similar time.

why hate?

Brad Delp was an amazing vocalist, so is Mike Patton.

there are no winners here, its the internet special olympics.

Not hate and I have heard plenty of fnm songs. I said Mike Patton was a good vocalist prior in post above. I personally don't think he is up to Brad Delp standards. That is all I say. And I personally don't think that any FNM song is equal to the genius of Boston but that is just my opinion and I think I am entitled to that.
i cant even wrap my head around the comparison, its that bizarre.

Boston were almost like a US version of Queen.Stunning multi octave vocalist, hundreds of overdubs for harmony guitar and vocal parts, and 4/4 on the floor, and very white bread subject matter in the songs.

Faith No more was a piano virtuoso, a funk bassist, an acid casualty guitarist with a Slayer fixation, a Dub/Reggae drummer, and a unique singer with a multi octave range, a deranged mind and a dark heart. They wrote in weird modes, multi time signatures and dark desperate lyrics.

lets argue the merits of a gold plated back scratcher and a custard tart, it would be easier. This is coming from someone who owns albums by both bands.

edit: I cant believe I compared Boston to Queen. Now Im doing it!
Last edited by adventurepants_ on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

iamamonkeysoareyou

Post by iamamonkeysoareyou » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:49 am

pulsoc wrote:Thank you my friend.

I am now onto Insane Clown Posse - What is a Juggalo?

I will not be requesting amens for this despite my abiding love for it.
What is a juggalo?
A juggalo? if thats what it is, well fuck if I know.
What is a juggalo?
I dont know, but Im down with the clown, and Im down for life, yo.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:50 am

Chang wrote: but that is just my opinion and I think I am entitled to that.
Hey Chang,

FNM suck and Boston rule.

That's your opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

That's what the internet is for. :)

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:56 am

Machinesworking wrote:Who cares how good a musician is if they can't write a song that doesn't sound like a Hallmark greeting card commercial.
bingo! I do like Boston as pop tunes, but thats all they are.

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 am

Machinesworking wrote:

No way.

Wow? That's kind of pathetic. Sorry man, but Boston were definitely not the best example of innovative music in the 70's, a decade that spawned or solidified metal, punk, industrial, new wave, prog rock, funk etc. That had epic albums like Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zepplin 4, Black Sabbath Paranoid, Kraftwerk Man Machine, and Trans Europe Express, Parliment...... I'm not even halfway there, but suffice to say on my list of great albums and bands to come from the 70's Boston isn't on there. Good band technically, but I hated their sense of composition, and on that line IMO Epic beats the crap out of More than a Feeling compositionally. Who cares how good a musician is if they can't write a song that doesn't sound like a Hallmark greeting card commercial.

FYI More than a Feeling is one of the most annoying vocal lines to me, right up there with All out of Love by Air Supply, or Open Arms by Journey. I literally get ill hearing those songs. It's all a matter of personal taste, but I find smarm a cover up for a lack of a soul.

I like Kraftwerk very much but I know plenty of people that would fall asleep to numbers even though I like it. That is all your opinion, I gave mine. You're trying to drag me into a 1970's argument. All I will say from your post is that Dark Side of the Moon is one thing, but Black Sabbath? Your trying to compare the validity of the easy mix down Black Sabbath record to Bostons unusual brilliant undone use of tape and fx? Not in this lifetime. And adding faith no more into this is ridiculous imo. As they cannot compete with any band mentioned in the entire thread.

Check your local real Rock radio station and look up FNM vs Boston, Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd on the airwaves 24/7. I think you will find faith no more at 1% by comparison to the rest.

And there is a reason for that.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:30 am

Chang wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

No way.

I like Kraftwerk very much but I know plenty of people that would fall asleep to numbers even though I like it. That is all your opinion, I gave mine. You're trying to drag me into a 1970's argument. All I will say from your post is that Dark Side of the Moon is one thing, but Black Sabbath? Your trying to compare the validity of the easy mix down Black Sabbath record to Bostons unusual brilliant undone use of tape and fx? Not in this lifetime. And adding faith no more into this is ridiculous imo. As they cannot compete with any band mentioned in the entire thread.

Check your local real Rock radio station and look up FNM vs Boston, Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd on the airwaves 24/7. I think you will find faith no more at 1% by comparison to the rest.

So by your logic, Nickelback and Creed make more valid records than Faith No More?

Im starting to feel embarassed at my participation in this threadwreck.

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
Chang wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Wow? That's kind of pathetic. Sorry man, but Boston were definitely not the best example of innovative music in the 70's, a decade that spawned or solidified metal, punk, industrial, new wave, prog rock, funk etc. That had epic albums like Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zepplin 4, Black Sabbath Paranoid, Kraftwerk Man Machine, and Trans Europe Express, Parliment...... I'm not even halfway there, but suffice to say on my list of great albums and bands to come from the 70's Boston isn't on there. Good band technically, but I hated their sense of composition, and on that line IMO Epic beats the crap out of More than a Feeling compositionally. Who cares how good a musician is if they can't write a song that doesn't sound like a Hallmark greeting card commercial.

So by your logic, Nickelback and Creed make more valid records than Faith No More?

Im starting to feel embarassed at my participation in this threadwreck.

Wow, so no one can have opinion on this Forum unless they all love Faith No More without getting hammered?

Im starting to feel embarassed at the participation in this thread that no one can have an opinion.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 am

Not gonna get into the Boston thing..

But AMEN

To the REAL thing :wink:

Hd

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 am

Machinesworking wrote:

No way.

Wow? That's kind of pathetic. Sorry man, but Boston were definitely not the best example of innovative music in the 70's, a decade that spawned or solidified metal, punk, industrial, new wave, prog rock, funk etc. That had epic albums like Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zepplin

You are right, I'm totally feeling the Pink Floyd Led Zeppelin vibe with this one. Very Metal meets Pink Floyd memorable forever. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7r3xXGWVNM

What is it? Shit.

How could you even begin to compare this junk on notation staff paper with the likes of Boston? It is not even in the same Galaxy. Beat up Kid Rock vs Beethoven.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:02 am

adventurepants_ wrote:Faith No more was a piano virtuoso, a funk bassist, an acid casualty guitarist with a Slayer fixation, a Dub/Reggae drummer, and a unique singer with a multi octave range, a deranged mind and a dark heart. They wrote in weird modes, multi time signatures and dark desperate lyrics.
I love the description. Somehow hearing another individual phrase this helps.

Midlife Crisis was my favorite track they ever did.

Jizzlobber is fucking amazing

crack hitler? Hah. I don't know what to say.

Caffeine? Smaller and Smaller?

Ending with the theme to Midnight Cowboy?

Balls, humor and ingenuity.

Chang: You are a laugh-riot. Fucking Boston-lol :)
I hope for your sake you are fucking with us and I will leave it at that.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am

Surprise your dead is f'ing amazing too.

Amen.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 am

Chang wrote:\
How could you even begin to compare this junk on notation staff paper with the likes of Boston? It is not even in the same Galaxy. Beat up Kid Rock vs Beethoven.
I'll never understand musicians like you, that's not at all meant as a slight, but first of all, no matter how righteous you feel about this, your attitude is lame. Remember I already stated that I knew people in this band, so to call their music junk to me is just being a douche. I've held my tongue about Boston, but fuck it, if you're going to act like a self righteous jerk then why should I?
Boston are the reason why punk existed in the first place. Over indulgent garbage songwriting with no substance. Sure, years of musical training and the finest recording studios etc. but ZERO actual content. Nothing original about their progressions or compositions, and a HUGE chunk of SMARM in their writing and hap hazard concept of a hook. Read the lyrics to their songs, think about the message and what they actually give back. NOTHING, it's the same boring shit pop songwriters wrote about for a countless years before them. They give nothing original or unique, it's like listening to a sports team who practiced being musicians with the same attitude that they have with training for athletics. The emptiness of any real content in their progressions and compositions far outweighs their technical prowess.

Why you chose Boston I'll never know, must be a favorite of yours, but FNM have little to do with Boston. Boston brought almost nothing to the table as far as genre mixing, or even lyrical content. They brought some technical ability, but your really should take a look at a live video of Boston. It's not any different, you're just getting old, and stuck in your ways. "OMG OMG! Some guy rapped in a song!!! snort snort! tawdry garbage! oh well, back to my smarmy 70's fake prog" :P

Seriously, listen to the main guitar riff in this song, the lamest three chord progression imaginable as the "chunk" in the song, and I have not idea why the vocal line is appealing at all? He's trying to do some sort of Beech boys thing, but it's more like whining than smooth. Besides the lame ass 70's schtick of having the 'quiet breakdown', as annoying as the 90's loud, quiet, loud, quiet, loud loud loud Nirvana ripp song structure all the pop rock bands were doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsVPis1iNs

Also, notice one major thing, the actual song is no more complex than Epic is, you basically make yourself look silly trying to say otherwise. The major difference in structure is all in the style. Personally though, I'm glad both had their chance to shine, it's rough business, and plenty of bands worse than either never made it. I honestly don't get the spit and bile, unless we're talking about obvious corporate shills like Brittany Spears etc.
There is miles more content in FNM than in Limp Bizkit, if you can't see that you really have to be hateful of FNM for some odd personal reason.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:59 pm

LOFA wrote:Surprise your dead is f'ing amazing too.

Amen.
Now doesn't that make you feel better? :D

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm

lol ahh fucking men