in Drum Rack - how do you move multiple pads at once?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djchima

in Drum Rack - how do you move multiple pads at once?

Post by djchima » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Lets say I have one drum rack with all my drum kit sounds. Then I take an audio clip and I say 'slice to midi'. It makes a new drum rack track. Now I want to combine the clips in both drum racks into one drum rack, so I'm only dealing with one drum rack. I can move a pad one at a time, but this takes forever if there's a lot of pads. Is there any way I can move a group of them at once. This would be really convenient as sometimes I chop a lot of samples and I'm dealing with a lot of drum racks, very annoying. Thanks

Chima

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:31 pm

multi-select the chains, not the pads, by using shift

djchima

Post by djchima » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:58 pm

Angstrom wrote:multi-select the chains, not the pads, by using shift
You can select multiple chains by holding shift but you can't drag them together to other notes. If you drag the selected chains to another pad it only moves one of the chains

djchima

Post by djchima » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Nobody else finds this the least bit annoying?? It seems like it should be basic functionality for Ableton

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm

it does work.

Highlight the chains you want to move, press & hold "Alt" key, drag to...

You may have to click & drag the chain name for it to work.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 am

djchima wrote:Nobody else finds this the least bit annoying?? It seems like it should be basic functionality for Ableton
I find it annoying, too :D

leather_rhod

Post by leather_rhod » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm

it does work.

Highlight the chains you want to move, press & hold "Alt" key, drag to...

You may have to click & drag the chain name for it to work.
That puts all chains into another chain i.e. all on one pad.

Without holding alt only the first selected chain gets moved.

Is there a way of changing the receive or play parameter of mutiple chains at once i.e. transposing their key mapping.

Merging drum racks would then be possible, no?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm

forget about the pads for a minute. you'll have to set the notes for the new chains. then they'll appear on the appropriate pads

the pads are a representation of what's in the chain list. it is sometimes confusing because live allows many shortcut operations on the pads themselves (dragging them around etc)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:14 pm

leather_rhod wrote: That puts all chains into another chain i.e. all on one pad.
chain != pad

although it may operate essentially that way when a single pad represents a single chain

leather_rhod

Post by leather_rhod » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:22 pm

forget about the pads for a minute. you'll have to set the notes for the new chains. then they'll appear on the appropriate pads

the pads are a representation of what's in the chain list. it is sometimes confusing because live allows many shortcut operations on the pads themselves (dragging them around etc)
yes, but is there a way of changing the receive or play parameter of mutiple chains at once i.e. transposing their key mapping.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:14 pm

sorry, I lost sight of the point of the thread.

not really. that does suck.

depending on whether the drum-racky features are important or not, you can just keep the second set of slices sub-racked and pitch shift the whole second rack. then the slices across both sets of slices will play correctly across the keyboard, midi clips, etc.

however the pads don't view correctly, (can't see the second set) and therefore can't instant map controllers to the second set

you can't choke between the two sets (only within each set)

leather_rhod

Post by leather_rhod » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 pm

wicked. midi pitch shift does the trick:

1) Slice to midi 2 or more samples.
2) Create an instrument rack and drag the new drum racks to it.
3) add midi pitch shift to map some drum rack chains to new midi notes.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 pm

also you can use the pitch midi device tho shift a rack

Animaltronix

Re: in Drum Rack - how do you move multiple pads at once?

Post by Animaltronix » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Yeah the solution about "pitch shifting" seems like maybe it doesn't fit my situation. I'm literally slicing vocal audio so that I can play the vocal line like an instrument. I DON'T want to pitch shift ANYTHING as that will mess up the entire melody of what's being played. I just have more slices than I thought, and now I just want to move the slices that are already in the rack, from C3 to C0 or C1 to make room for more slices in the pads.

This should be like such a basic function. Even NI Battery allows this and NI user interfaces are hot garbage.

anyone?

Also while we're at Drum Rack: why can't I change ALL my cells from "Trigger" to "Gate"? No... I'll just go through 120 slices and manually change them <facepalm emoji>

Booli

Re: in Drum Rack - how do you move multiple pads at once?

Post by Booli » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 am

Animaltronix wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm
Also while we're at Drum Rack: why can't I change ALL my cells from "Trigger" to "Gate"? No... I'll just go through 120 slices and manually change them <facepalm emoji>
Yep. New to Ableton coming from years of Cubase/NI. Pretty disappointing. Because it is a great tool this Drum Rack, and for mixing & automation purposes it is the right tool to use inside Ableton, and this is exactly what's so disappointing about it.

Still didn't decide which way to go....

UPDATE:
Well apprantely it can be done:
https://www.edmprod.com/ableton-drum-rack-tips/
Search for:
"Drum Rack Tip 4: Copy Value to Siblings"

Enjoy..!