is this legit or is it piracy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xh9o

Post by xh9o » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Green Lemon wrote:
xh9o wrote:better get a proper crack release by air for free. these never fuck up your pc.

Dude, stuff it.

sorry but is pure sarcasm. its the biggest bull of endless shit ever encountered, someone asking if its more legal to buy from a piracy group than using free pirate software. and on a serious level indeed, it would be better using a free crack AND giving ableton the 100 bucks.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 pm

just a thought...the guys using cracks can't be that hard up..I mean..
they had to have got $ together to buy a machine and various musical gear to make tracks..
no one arrives here saying "I jacked this pc/mac to test drive it, but hey if I like it, I think i might get my own computer.."
It's just a mind set..
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

mrsakitumi wrote:they had to have got $ together to buy a machine and various musical gear to make tracks..
It's just a mind set..

no it isn´t. most people use their computer for lots of stuff, just a very few buy one only for making music. and i think its ok to test software using cracks, but if you feel like using it on a regular base and you like the company, you should buy it even if that makes you bleed hard blood. further its less moral to really buy digidesign/pro tools software for instance than using cracked soft of any, not even the nicest company around.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:44 pm

I know a lot of people, me included, who started with cracks and would never have laid down the cash for Live straight off the bat. Probably wouldn't have really gotten into production without live either, so its fair to say I now own live and buy upgrades plus other VSTis and music gear solely because when I was at uni I had access to a cracked copy.

Anyway, yeah, the arguments around cracks have been done to death.

Dont give pirates money for other peoples work, nuff said.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Better still, spend the $100 on crack, and lose all interest in music software.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:52 pm

xh9o wrote:
Green Lemon wrote:
xh9o wrote:better get a proper crack release by air for free. these never fuck up your pc.

Dude, stuff it.

sorry but is pure sarcasm. its the biggest bull of endless shit ever encountered, someone asking if its more legal to buy from a piracy group than using free pirate software. and on a serious level indeed, it would be better using a free crack AND giving ableton the 100 bucks.
awwright then. sorry I didn't get your sarcasm emoticon...

too much coffee.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:04 pm

bytheriver wrote:I know a lot of people, me included, who started with cracks and would never have laid down the cash for Live straight off the bat. Probably wouldn't have really gotten into production without live either, so its fair to say I now own live and buy upgrades plus other VSTis and music gear solely because when I was at uni I had access to a cracked copy.

same thing here. without the crack of Ableton, I would never have developed the horrible addiction to ableton that i have to this day. after my crack crashed, i coudldn't handle not having ableton, and decided to buy it. it was worth all of it.

my view on cracks is its OK if you just diddling around with it for your personal use, or to test it without cripples, but the moment you start profiting from cracked software, you become a terrible person.

ie, if someone is performing with a cracked ableton, he should kicked in the balls.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm

So it is okay for me to steal a guitar from Sam Ash or Guitar Center, and I can play it all I want, but if I gig with it, I am a criminal?

Please help me understand your perspective; or just admit that you think that it is okay to steal intellectual capital (i.e., software) because it is easy and you can get away with it.
stonee wrote:
bytheriver wrote:I know a lot of people, me included, who started with cracks and would never have laid down the cash for Live straight off the bat. Probably wouldn't have really gotten into production without live either, so its fair to say I now own live and buy upgrades plus other VSTis and music gear solely because when I was at uni I had access to a cracked copy.

same thing here. without the crack of Ableton, I would never have developed the horrible addiction to ableton that i have to this day. after my crack crashed, i coudldn't handle not having ableton, and decided to buy it. it was worth all of it.

my view on cracks is its OK if you just diddling around with it for your personal use, or to test it without cripples, but the moment you start profiting from cracked software, you become a terrible person.

ie, if someone is performing with a cracked ableton, he should kicked in the balls.

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 pm

stonee wrote:same thing here. without the crack of Ableton, I would never have developed the horrible addiction to ableton that i have to this day. after my crack crashed, i coudldn't handle not having ableton, and decided to buy it. it was worth all of it.
Yes, the same goes for me. Just that I didn't suffer from a bad crack or something. I was introduced to Live via audio torrent sites and found it amazing. Just before my first small set with it I bought it - when you earn money with it, be it little as it is, you should think of buying it. The EDU version is quite worth the price, lucky enough I could buy it.
The point nevertheless is that you - in normal life - cannot have something if you cannot afford it. When it comes to digital good, the progress has gone another direction, and I think one cannot ignore that. People will still make money, and even the Abes, be they a small company, will have their women, children and whores feeded (did I say 'whores'?). I nevertheless am proud I have paid for what I use.
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:23 pm

100% agreed!

I was one of the first DJ's in our town that started using Ableton.
I've been tinkering since version 4 and it's been a long, lonely adventure learning on my own. (esp since I hadn't used a DAW before)
Now that it's becoming a more accepted medium, everyone is asking for my advice / help.
My reply is always the same before helping out.

Do you have a sound card?
Do you have a midi controller?
Have you been reading the manual?
Are you familiar with the two forums out there?
and finally...

DID YOU PURCHASE THE PROGRAM, OR ARE YOU RUNNING A CRACKED VERSION?

If they tell me they are using a cracked version, I give them props for being honest with me, but I tell them to call me when they buy the program.
I paid for mine, and it insults me that they want/expect me to help them when they aren't willing to pay just as I did. I understand peeps checking out the program to see what it's all about, before making a major purchase, but Ableton gives you two free weeks with everything.

What's the saying... "There are no free rides/meals, etc"

if they do play out with cracked shit; may the the force be with crashing their computer right in the middle of their set.

(getting down from my soapbox)
Last edited by dphouse84 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:41 pm

oops dbl post
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Green Lemon wrote: Anyway, if someone's too broke to buy the program and uses a crack, I'm not gonna shit on him for it. But if he comes on the Ableton forum boasting about it, he obviously has no manners, and I'm gonna boot him in the ass like he deserves.
This inspires an interesting social experiment. Go on myspace and instead of posting a ton of "thanks for the add"s in the commments section on random pages, post "Dude, I'm banging your girlfriend."

See how long it takes myspace to ban you while you stir up a ton of shit online and in people's lives.

...if one were so inclined.

Delusion

Post by Delusion » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 pm

well I am going to purchase ableton I just thought I would look for the best price and thats what I ran across. Just didnt want to fork out money and then find out that everyone is only paying 99 bucks for it. So is the 399$ download for ableton 7 of this website the best way to go at this point?

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm

well, i will say this...
the offer they have going now is pretty damn sweet.
operator and drum machines for free for new purchases/upgrades to 7.
i bought live in jan this time last, year so no coupon or the bonus instruments for me.

i will give you one tip.
with some midi controllers you will get a lite version + a password for a discounted price.
i bought a padcontrol and a remote zero.
each came with a coupon, but you can only use one.
i basically got my padkontrol for nothing considering the full cost of live, and the price of live is 100 bucks less than i paid. check it out!;)
Last edited by dphouse84 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff I actually use.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Yes now is a good time to buy. You get operator and drum machines for free, plus a discount on the upgrade to v8 should you decide to go in that direction.

K