vinyl vs cds... better yet turntables vs ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I would never sell my 1200's

I need to get the little light replaced which will probably cost more than upgrading to Live 8 - but that's not the point

There's something about turntables and vinyl - those who feel it, know what I'm talking about

it's a very real tangible feeling and connection between you, the music, and technology - I love it
Ableton | Elektron

Music

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

i used to DJ with live, but once i got a good vinyl setup it changed my mind. i think ill be using my techs to DJ for a long time.

luv2spin31

Post by luv2spin31 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 pm

we need a new argument: analog synth vs virtual synth, because this argument keeps going around and around and around like a dog chasing its tail
"music is like photography. it's all in the rhythm of expression."

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:44 pm

luv2spin31 wrote:we need a new argument: analog synth vs virtual synth, because this argument keeps going around and around and around like a dog chasing its tail
And quite honesty its the same friggin argument - some of like the hands on of vinyl and a deck, in the same way some of like hardware synths, hardware outboard etc, whereas other are quite happy with just a mouse...
Nothing to see here - move along!

al83

Post by al83 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

never EVER sell your 1210's!!

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 am

djadonis206 wrote:I would never sell my 1200's

I need to get the little light replaced which will probably cost more than upgrading to Live 8 - but that's not the point

There's something about turntables and vinyl - those who feel it, know what I'm talking about

it's a very real tangible feeling and connection between you, the music, and technology - I love it
That's what I'm sayin'.

Personally, digitizing my records just seems ridiculous other than for archival purposes. Its a good way to insure that you get the worst aspects of both formats.

I do rebuy my vinyl tracks as WAVs when I get the chance. And I can't wait to see the results of Serato's collab with Ableton, which I plan on using with some CDJ kind of controller with a motorized platter (such as the Denon HS 5500). But I will never stop buying vinyl. I will stop lugging 20 kilos of it around, however.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

Green Lemon

Re: turntables vs live

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 am

the_antagonist wrote: I think ableton is more of a facilitator than something to be compared.
Yeah, Live is so flexible you really have to decide how to integrate it into your setup.

I'm actually thinking of getting Ms. Pinky, which will allow me to treat Live as just one more (very flexible) turntable. I love the feel of vinyl.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 am

When I moved to Belgium I sold the TTs but kept all my vinyl in a safe place at my mums (couldn't really bring myself to sell them).

Also, I converted my entire cd collection to digital so my entire music collection fits onto a small external hard drive (actually two - gotta back it all up!). I now buy all of my music in digital as well. In fact, the only cds in my house are a couple of blank ones for burning mixes to give away to friends etc...

It was weird at first but now I love it - each is another piece of plastic out of my life (and my apartment)

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:32 pm

From my cold dead hands Mother Fuckers!

No One takes my 12's!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:42 pm

A lot of people think that they're going to DJ with a digital set-up and "blow people's minds" with their "amazing new unimaginable techniques".

Reality is a lot different.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:06 pm

well, as much as i love vinyl, i have to say that i have switched first to cd and later to traktor and ableton and i no longer miss them at all!

i mean , yeah, it's sexy, the feel is great and the music sounds really good, but with a laptop is just easier to carry everything you want, and if you have traktor or ableton theres a lot of fun to be had just by getting to know what these two powerful tools can do to improve your set....

then again, it is just a matter of personal choice, i couldn't say i like one more than the other, i just find one more convenient than the other :idea:

blackboab

Post by blackboab » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:22 pm

I'v sold and then rebought new technics TT's 3 times in the last four years. I just can't get rid of them for good. Ableton is really great for DJing, but there is something really crap about DJing with a MIDI controller for me .... it just ain't right.

Anyway, I've recently started DJing with ableton with each track (3 in total) with a seperate out to the analog DJ mixer in the bar/club.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not the medium, or the vinyl/digital thing that is important to me, but the DJ mixer. It just feels way more natural to me to use a good old fashioned analog DJ mixer for mixing and EQing (EQing with abletons EQ3 is terrible). So I think I might just get rid of the turntable again (this time for good) ... it is a shame to lose the effects in ableton, but what the heck, DJing for me is more about riding the moment, juggling beats, and tune selection ...

Anyway, that is my 2 cents