List of actions available for Midi control

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
SquimbellyToes

List of actions available for Midi control

Post by SquimbellyToes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 am

Hello All;

In Ableton we are able to select a button, a slider, etc. and set a midi controller value - this is very helpful.

However, I am unable to find out how to do such things as cycle through tracks, or turn off a device using this technique. How might I find a list of all available actions in ableton which can be controlled by midi?

As well, when I find these values - how do I get them into the midi mappings browser?

Thank you,
vic

jok

Re: List of actions available for Midi control

Post by jok » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi Vic,

welcome to the forum!
There´s no fixed midi integration chart for midi mapping, everything that´s mappable becomes blue when you activate the mapping mode.
Turning devices on/off is done through the device activator button, you can control loop parameters by mapping the clip´s loop position/length, etc.

best,
jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SquimbellyToes

Post by SquimbellyToes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 pm

Hello Jorg;

Thank you for your reply. If there is no map of actions to choose from, might I ask you:

1. How does one map a midi action to turn a device activator off? It is easy enough to map the on action, but I can't turn off the device.
2. How does one map a midi control to cycle through all available tracks in a session?

Thank you,
vic

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:31 am

SquimbellyToes wrote:1. How does one map a midi action to turn a device activator off? It is easy enough to map the on action, but I can't turn off the device.
What kind of control are you mapping to the Device Activator button? If it's a standard knob, then values 0-63=off, 64-127=on. If you've mapped it to a button on your controller, try pressing the button twice, maybe it's toggling each time.
SquimbellyToes wrote:2. How does one map a midi control to cycle through all available tracks in a session?
When you enter Live's midi map mode, you can see extra scene navigation midi controls appear over in the master track (just above the i/o section). Here you can map scene up/down and if you've got an endless rotary knob on your midi controller you can scroll through scenes nicely.